PDA

View Full Version : Which Florida beach for the day?

ellieboxer
14-04-2008, 14:57
Hi
we are off to Orlando in 3 weeks[sporty]
We have planned our park visits.
We would like to spend a day at the beach, and probably have a nice evening meal.
In the past we have been to Daytona beach and that was good,but a bit too crowded for us.
Please can anyone recommend a nice quiet beach that is not too overbuilt.
Our first choice would be Sanibel Island, but thats is too far for the day.
I have looked at Indian rocks beach near Clearwater, has anyone been? or any other suggestions please

Ellie

orchidvilla
14-04-2008, 16:11
Hi... we always take a trip down to Siesta Key Sarasotta (90 mins from Davenport) spend most of the morning on beach then St Armands circle Cuban cafe for dinner and a walk round the shops then a beachfront restraunt in the evening to watch the sunset then drive back up and maybe stop off at one of the shopping malls on the I-4 on the way back one just up from Bradenton or the Lakeland mall.

Lynnes
14-04-2008, 16:29
Just north of Clearwater off H19 there are loads of very good beaches with next to nobody on them

MarkJan
14-04-2008, 16:50
Fort de Soto just south of St Petes. Lovely beach, quiet, historic fort to look around and warm water [msncool]

pubmaster2k
14-04-2008, 19:12
Why not try the other side and go east on the 192 as far as you can and you will come to Melbourne Beach, very quiet with a few beach type shops.

mfairhurst
14-04-2008, 20:25
Treasure Island beach is good it is just before St Petes and there is a free car park near Buccaner Hotel and there are toilets and drinking water also a shower to wash your feet .
Clearwater at the moment is a building site so not very nice for the beach .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

luckylady
14-04-2008, 21:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pubmaster2k
Why not try the other side and go east on the 192 as far as you can and you will come to Melbourne Beach, very quiet with a few beach type shops.
[/quote]
I agree
A day trip to Melbourne Beach in January was a very enjoyable experience for me.

SteveandJan
15-04-2008, 01:41
St Petes but a lady on our return flight was telling me how lovely Daytona beach was.

ellieboxer
15-04-2008, 10:57
Hi
Thanks very much for all your replies, there are some good ideas, I think we may have to have 2 beach days........[msncool]

How did I manage before I found this forum, it has really helped me plan our holiday :D

thanks very much
Ellie

orlandodaze
15-04-2008, 16:21
We like Cocoa Beach for convienence , its less than an hours drive from Kissimmee so we have often gone in the afternoon and spent a most enjoyabe evening there . We tend to arrive when the sun worshippers are leaving .

Elaine62
16-04-2008, 17:38
"Clearwater at the moment is a building site so not very nice for the beach ."

Re this comment above what are problems with clearwater beach, we have booked an overnight stay at clearwater hilton for July and now a bit worried?!

Elaine

mfairhurst
16-04-2008, 20:20
ELAINE they have demolished the Hilton at Clearwater putting Condos on site there was a board advertising them last time we were there in JANUARY 2008 .
As you are coming into Clearwater from Belair or Maderia beach on the right a MARRIOTS SUITES CLEARWATER BEACH ON SAND KEY it looks over the inland water way which is leading to the sea that is a nice Hotel and it has a Colombus Resturant at the side of it .
You can watch the dolfins coming from Johns Pass going back to the sea .
Then you can walk over the bridge or drive into Clearwater as only 2 mins away .
MAUREEN

wrpac00
16-04-2008, 22:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
ELAINE they have demolished the Hilton at Clearwater putting Condos on site there was a board advertising them last time we were there in JANUARY 2009 .
As you are coming into Clearwater from Belair or Maderia beach on the right a MARRIOTS SUITES CLEARWATER BEACH ON SAND KEY it looks over the inland water way which is leading to the sea that is a nice Hotel and it has a Colombus Resturant at the side of it .
You can watch the dolfins coming from Johns Pass going back to the sea .
Then you can walk over the bridge or drive into Clearwater as only 2 mins away .
MAUREEN
[/quote]

Maureen,

Bit confused, you say last time you were there Jan 2009!!!!

We stayed in the Hilton last summer and it was in the middle of a complete refurb and very nice it was to. Elaine says she has already booked to stay there and they are still taking bookings!!!!

Are you sure you are talking about the same hotel?

Kazzie
17-04-2008, 00:02
I am not really a beach person but we have also enjoyed visiting Cocoa Beach, mind you I am talking quite a few years ago. It was nice watching Pelicans and such swooping down into the shallow waters catching fish.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
We like Cocoa Beach for convienence , its less than an hours drive from Kissimmee so we have often gone in the afternoon and spent a most enjoyabe evening there . We tend to arrive when the sun worshippers are leaving .
[/quote]

mfairhurst
17-04-2008, 00:15
Paul as you go over the bridge from BELAIR the HILTON was the first turning left that is the one I mean .I do not know of another HILTON in Clearwater .Is this the one you stayed in ?
Have they named another hotel the HILTON in CLEARWATER ?
Sorry got my dates it is january 2008 been dealing with someone for 2009 so got my dates wrong
MAUREEN

Elaine62
17-04-2008, 11:00
we've booked the hilton that is apparently next to the pier, anyone been there recently and can confirm/deny what is being discussed above?

Thanka

Elaine

Lynne S
17-04-2008, 15:00
Elaine,

We are staying at Treasure Island for a few nights next weekend, I'll report back to you if we do go up to Clearwater. [8D]

ellie
17-04-2008, 15:45
We like Madeira beach, which is just a few minutes below Clearwater, which nobody seems to find, and which is far less busy, as well as being unspoilt. There are good car parks in between the condos on the seafront, and you walk straight onto a lovely sandy beach.

The best bit is that it is nearly opposite St John's Pass Boardwalk, where there are dozens of interesting little shops, and some great restaurants, many of which serve fresh fish. you can sit and watch the pelicans as they dip and dive and there are boat trips from here to see the manatees and dolphins. There is even a pirate ship which does boat trips.

You can read about it in the Florida guide.

mfairhurst
17-04-2008, 17:59
Elaine i have found out the old HILTON has been pull down and HILTON has taken up the building that was EMBASSY SUITES also it was HOLIDAY INN .
So the one you have booked in is OK it is just after the round about on the left and you can walk onto the beach .It is across a restaurant called HOULIONS there is one in INTERNATIONAL DRIVE and it is a exellent restaurant may be a bit expensive to nice to try once .
Sorry to worry you turned right before the island as there was no through rode to the island in JANUARY so we left and carried on to DUNEDIN and PALM HARBOUR which is worth a ride
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx.

wrpac00
17-04-2008, 22:37
Paul as you go over the bridge from BELAIR the HILTON was the first turning left that is the one I mean .I do not know of another HILTON in Clearwater .Is this the one you stayed in ?
Have they named another hotel the HILTON in CLEARWATER ?
Sorry got my dates it is january 2008 been dealing with someone for 2009 so got my dates wrong
MAUREEN
[/quote]

The only Hilton I know of in Clearwater is the one on the beach next to the pier. Its been the Hilton for a number of years and tripadvisor has reviews back to 2002.

mfairhurst
17-04-2008, 22:59
Thats the one PAUL it used to be EMBASSY SUITES as well as HOLIDAY INN
There was a large HILTON at the side of the bridge it was the main one in CLEARWATER and the most expensive as on a prime spot .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/vil;las/1683.aspx

wrpac00
19-04-2008, 21:39
Thats the one PAUL it used to be EMBASSY SUITES as well as HOLIDAY INN
There was a large HILTON at the side of the bridge it was the main one in CLEARWATER and the most expensive as on a prime spot .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/vil;las/1683.aspx
[/quote]

Sorry Maureen I am a bit lost here now.

The Hilton next to the pier is still there. It would appear that it has been a Hilton for at least the last 6 years. It also appears to be the only Hilton in Clearwater. You said the Hilton had been demolished!!!!!!

mfairhurst
19-04-2008, 22:28
No PAUL there used to be a very large HILTON next to the bridge our doctor stayed in it quite a few years ago and has I said the one you stayed in was called in the past HOLIDAY INN and EMBASSY SUITES .
So as you came over the bridge do you not remember it as it was so big you could not miss it ,It was hit by the last big storms also a lot of the MOTELS was over on the inland water way and are not there anymore as they have built some private homes ,We knew to owners that lost their MOTELS and they were english .
MAUREEN