PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Airport

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 01:51
Hi,
I am off to Florida in 2 weeks. We are Flying with Virgin from Manchester to Orlando. We have never been to Orlando airport.
As we will have our baby who will be 7 mths old, we were wondering how easy it is to get from the aircraft, collect our luggage, and get to the car hire office.
Its strange how as soon as you have a baby you worry about everything.[msnscared]

Oscar

blott
03-11-2003, 02:17
You lucky things! Orlando International airport has a bit of a weird luggage collection system. You go through Immigration, pick up your baggage, go through Customs and then hand your baggage back again. You then get on the monorail and then to Baggage Reclaim where you get reunited with your luggage (hopefully!). It sounds a bit complicated but really it isn't.

Lots of car rental companies have their car reception desks in the airport (down in the lift from the Baggage Reclaim) and the cars are kept in a multistory car park over the road.

Have a great time!

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 02:25
Hi,
Thanks for the help, what about thinks like baby carseats, and pushchairs, do these go with the luggage or do they allow you to take the pushchair with you.
We have been waiting for this holiday for a long time. Every time we planned on going, someone wanted to book. So this time we decided no matter what we will go. Plus will be babys first time in Florida.[msncool]

Oscar

chrisj
03-11-2003, 02:31
As Blott has said, Orlando airport has a strange system, but to be honest we found it quick and very easy to get through. As for pushchairs Im afraid I have no idea as our kids are older.

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 02:34
I just hope it wont be to difficult with mini-me. She is quite good but then she has never flown.
Thanks
Oscar

sarahjk
03-11-2003, 03:10
Hi Oscar

When we went with our youngest at 9 months you can take the pushchair with you at all times but they will ask you to take the baby out of it whilst it goes through the metal detector as for the flight all children are different I would just say stay calm ours at the time was great on the flight going as she slept most of the way there but on the flight back well I wont scare you to much but hey no matter what the flight staff have seen and heard it all before so dont panic and go with the flow and dont be afraid to walk her up and down the aisle if she needs to be rocked

Sarah[msnsmile]

wilfy
03-11-2003, 03:12
You can normally take your push-chair right up to the airplane door, where it'll be taken from you and put into the hold. Then on arrival, it shuld be waiting for you as you step off the plane. Car seats wil have to be part of your checked in baggage. If in doubt give Virgin a ring. Most airline's customer services are very helpful.

Only major car rental firm not literally based at orlando airport is Hertz. But they have frequent shuttle bus's to the car hire/drop off site, which is 5 minutes away.Alamo,dollar,budget etc have their checkin desks at the airport.

blott
03-11-2003, 03:44
It's usually a good idea to give your baby a drink or dummy on take off and landing as the sucking helps the ears adjust to any changes in air pressure experienced at those times.

kathrynanncooper
03-11-2003, 04:04
Just a tip for when you are coming back from Orlando. I know you don't want to think about that yet!!!

When we last flew with Virgin (4 years ago) and I presume they still do it - but you can check in your baggage at Disney Village and then you can enjoy what time you have left before the flight so you don't have to arrive at Orlando airport so early and there is not so much hassle carrying all your luggage on and off shuttle buses after you have dropped off the hire car, especially with all your baby equipment. And I said that all in one breath!!!

Be aware though that you do all have to be present when you check in at Disney Village.

blott
03-11-2003, 04:16
The early check in facility was suspended after 9/11 and has just been reintroduced last month. It's now located outside Cirque du Soleil and opens around 8 - 8.30 am and costs $5 extra per person.

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 12:02
Thank you all for the assistance. Do you know where i can get a plan of the airport so i can get arough idea of where i am going.
Is it easy to find your way around the airport.

hamptonlakes
03-11-2003, 12:29
I flew into Orlando International for the first time back in July03 and found it strange but pretty quick and found dollar hire desk and then went over to the multistorey to pick the keys for my car and guess what only tried 3 cars till i found mine.

Have u thought about requesting a skycot ?

here is the link for Orlando International Airport - http://www.orlando-mco.com/

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 12:49
Yes we have booked our skycot with virgin. During Mid November pax figures are not really that high so we shouldnt have to may problemes with the seats.
How well is Orlando airport sign posted is it easy to find where your going.
If the flight is on scheduale we should be ok. But like I say we are wondering how mini-me will fair. Very new to this mummy and daddy game. But wouldnt change it for the world. She is a daddys girl.
Thanks for the link, will check it out.

fiona
03-11-2003, 14:22
The airport is well signed up, you will be given a map by either Alamo or Dollar (don't know about the others as have only used these 2 car hire companies). You can find directions to and from the airport on mapquest once you have the address of where you are staying in.

blott
03-11-2003, 14:29
You'll be just fine, don't worry. Just follow everyone else... when you get off the monorail, you cross the airport concourse and follow overhead signs for Baggage Claim which is down an escalator. When you've got your luggage (for the second time) make for the lifts if your car rental is in airport and go down. Then just look for the sign to your car rental company reception desk.

BTW, if you pass through the airport towards the end of November, keep an eye open for the huge Christmas tree in the middle of the concourse which takes a week to install and light!

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 18:45
Thats great that, I can stop worrying now.
Im sure I will think of something else befor we go.
Directions from th airport to the villa wont be a problem as weve driven past the airport when we went last time.
Thanks for your help.

Oscar[msnsmile2]

sunseeker
06-11-2003, 00:16
Hi oscar,

We have flown into orlando int several times with a pushchair/stroller.
Both Virgin and BA let us take the pushchair to the gate.
The pushchair doesnt come up the carousel with the luggage,
but out of a seperate doorway at the far left of the hall.
The car seat will come out with the luggage. Do take your own
as rental seats dont seem to fit well.
Hope this helps, have a fab time.
Dave

Oscar1
06-11-2003, 01:16
Hi Dave
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
We were undecided about taking the car seat but have decided to take it with us now.
Thanks

Oscar

flyrr100
06-06-2004, 22:38
Is your kiddie seat matched to your stroller (push chair)? You'll need it at the parks. Lots of walking! Lots and lots of walking! And, unlike the UK, you can leave your stroller outside the rides and your stuff will still be there when you get out!
Have a great time.