PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes

DLB-GOUROCK
27-03-2008, 15:39
Not sure which thread to post this so I thought I'd ask an expert.

I've other threads going discussing first trip to a villa with a tour operator for first time security and previously using hotels.

One thing that is in the back of my mind is what happens if you are unfortunate enough to get caught up in a hurricane. Being in a hotel you have the security of the hotel staff advising you and taking the safety precautions to get you through it.

What do you do when you have done your own thing and rented a villa.
You see so many photos of the deviastation that can be caused.

I don't look on the dark side of things all the time and I am always as up beat as I can be, this is just a worry in the back of my mind and it won't stop me coming or enjoying myself.

thistle1314
27-03-2008, 15:48
David, thats a good question and one I'd like an answer too also. Thanks.

rosie
27-03-2008, 16:02
First of all let's get things in perspective, hurricanes are a very rare occurrence in Florida, despite what the news would have you believe [msnwink]

When you are staying in a vacation home and there is a possibility of a hurricane coming to the area it will be publicized on the TV and radio. A lot of homeowners will have info in their house book about what you should do. The Management Company that look after the home will also contact you and answer any questions you may have as well as offering advice.

Please don't let something that probably won't happen deter you from enjoying Florida.

thistle1314
27-03-2008, 16:05
Thanks Rosie. Sounds good to me.

DLB-GOUROCK
27-03-2008, 16:11
Rosie,

Thanks for the reasureance and believe me it won't stop me having fun. It's like flying you know it could crash but you still do it (blind faith). It's always the bad news that you see on TV particularly in recent years I know that Florida got off "lightly" compared to other states.

Don't worry I'm still coming just wondered how to be prepared. Saying it probably won't happen dosen't mean it can't happen.

David

rosie
27-03-2008, 16:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
Saying it probably won't happen dosen't mean it can't happen.

David
[/quote]

That's true, but the way I look at it, if it is going to happen it will anyway, whether you worry about it or not, so it is pointless to waste energy on "maybe's" or "what if's" and just get out and enjoy yourself [msnsmile]

Clare R
27-03-2008, 16:35
Don't forget that hurricanes (on the rare occasion they happen) cause more than just wind and rain. Power outages will affect your air-conditioning and fridge/freezer and you will probably have to boil water for a few days after the storm. If a hurricane is forecast make sure you have something to do, books/games and a torch/flashlight - you should find one in the villa along with emergency lighting which will keep going for a couple of hours.

canarypam
27-03-2008, 16:40
We were at our villa in 2004 for Hurricane Jeanne. If there is a chance that a hurricane will come anywhere near Florida believe me you will know what to do. It will be reported day and night on TV. We filled the bath with water, made sure we had food etc and some torches.

Our estate lost water for 1 day but not electricity. Yo be honest it was no worse than a bad storm here.

Hope you have a good time.[msnsmile2]

Val
27-03-2008, 17:53
Hello,
I do know that when there are hurricane warning in the area our Management Company contact all villa guests and offer advise and I am sure most villa owners like ourselves provide torches, candles etc for emergencies and I must say in all the time we have owned the villa the candles are still in the cupboard and have never been used.
Enjoy your time in Florida.

Val

Frosty
27-03-2008, 18:32
David,

On the rare chance that it does happen and you are in it, you have to remember that the devastation you see is usually trailer parks which have been flattened.

You have to remember trailer parks are nothing more than caravans that are parked up. Now add a Hurricane and see what happens to them.

All new homes are now built to a much higher Huirricane code, this doesn't mean to say that if they get a direct hit, that they won't get no damage, but they are much more resistant.

The damage is more centered on trees and such like as these are planted in basically sand and so don't have good root structure so they go over easier. This can be a problem as they bring down power lines or if your unlucky they damage the nearby home.

The real danger of a Hurricane is that you go out to see what this is all about and get injured by flying debris or worse a downed power line.

Its a very rare occasion to have a Hurricane strike in central FL and even if it did happen, you are still very unlucky if you were involved.
You do right to consider it, but the odds are so high, it doesn't need to spoil your holiday.

One last thing, if you did suffer a serious problem, most villa owners have friends who also have villas and at the worst you could be moved to another home. People always rally toether in adversity.

DLB-GOUROCK
27-03-2008, 18:45
Neil and Kay

Thanks for this. You have put together a good response on the siutation and I am more at ease now I have read your reply.

Thanks again

steph_goodrum
27-03-2008, 18:45
"One last thing, if you did suffer a serious problem, most villa owners have friends who also have villas and at the worst you could be moved to another home. People always rally toether in adversity.

That's one of the bonuses of booking direct with an owner as well. We have created a strong support network/safety net to help each other in times of need. The thing is we actually do care about our guests welfare and will go out of our way to help them, unlike the tour operators who will try and find an alternative but if they can't will have no qualms about telling you that it's up to you to find your own alternative accommodation.

I'm sure I read you are travelling in May which is before the official start of the hurricane season.

27-03-2008, 19:20
David, we don't own a villa but have been renting direct from owners for over 20 years. In all those years we did not get caught up in a hurricane until 2004 when we were there for Hurricane Charley. We were staying in a lovely villa from this site and we were in telephone and email contact with the owner up to when we lost power and again after it was back on again, we did exactly was we were told to do by all the news media, we put all the pool deck furniture away in the garage, filled baths and sinks with water and stocked up on bottled water and food stuffs that did not need to be in the fridge. The storm passed directly over head and was completely gone in a few hours, we did lose power for a couple of days and we did move to another villa for those few days but we then extended our stay to make up for the 'lost' days.

All in all I would say it is such a rare thing to happen in Orlando, it would not put me off going during the Hurricane season and providing you take the Tornando and Hurricane warnings seriously on the rare occasions they happen then you have nothing to worry about[msnwink]

eagleydo
27-03-2008, 23:09
We were staying in a villa just once when a hurricane hit. We were unfortunate to be without electricity in our villa for four days. On the positive side, we were constantly updated by the tv station, the owners managment team , the radio etc on exactly what to do and what we needed to have (things like matches,candles,tineed goods, filling up bath with water to use as a temp fridge, mosquito spray etc.) We were fully prepared, locals also made you aware of the necessary precautions to take. This turned out to be one of our best holidays ever and when the winds dropped neighbours who we had not met before made sure you had barbecue and barbecue fuels. We were invited around to play cards, board games and have drinks, with neighbours that under normal circumstance we would have never met.

luckylady
28-03-2008, 12:26
I live in the Northwest of England, six miles from the coast, gales, high winds, heavy rain, are nothing new to me, I live with them all the time.
My first experience of a hurricane in Orlando was in 2005.I had no idea what to expect with all the news reports; I thought this will be rough.

Well the hurricane came and went; yes we had torrential rain, gale force winds...
Two days later it was all over, I remember thinking that wasn't half as bad as I expected, in fact we have far worse here in the Northwest on many occasions .through the year

Only two weeks ago we had gale force winds, heavy rain, I remember very clearly thinking in Florida this would be classed as a hurricane.

Hurricanes in Florida /Orlando are very rare, if and when they do arrive on our doorstep we are always fully equipped to deal with the situation. Don’t waste your time thinking how will it be, because for sure will not be have as bad as you imagine.
Florida is for fun not for worrying about something that may never happen.

steph_goodrum
28-03-2008, 13:40
Ironically, David, the only holiday that I have ever been on that was curtailed due to bad weather was our very first family trip where we had stayed away, being one of 5 children bought up by a divorced Mum in the 60's money was very scarce), which was to Gourock and Oban. Mum had booked a caravan for herself, me (17) and my 2 younger brothers. We caught the train to Scotland and found the place and it was in a great setting, high on cliffs overlooking the sea, with wonderful views. We were having a great time till the 3rd night when a tremendous thuderstorm with gale force winds blew up. We spent the whole night in fear as out caravan was closest to the cliff edge and Mum was absolutely convinced that the next gust of wind would take us over the edge. When the forecast was for more of the same the next day and night she made us pack up and come home.

The first time we were in Florida during a predicted hurricane, we phoned my in-laws as we knew they would be watching every news bulletin cocvinced we would have been injured or worse, my mother in law couldnt wait to tell us that they had seen my sister and family being interviewed on TV as they were staying in a campsite in Poole where half the tents had been blown away by a mini tornado. My nephew who was around 15 at the time wanted to sleep in his own tent and was quite amazed when he woke in the morning to find nobody had slept hardly at all as they had been trying to find shelter for them all or they had gone into their cars. He had slept through it all in total oblivion.

Clare R
28-03-2008, 16:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
We were unfortunate to be without electricity in our villa for four days. On the positive side, we were constantly updated by the tv station[/quote]
Not quite sure how without electricity you were able to watch TV !!

DLB-GOUROCK
28-03-2008, 18:18
Steph,

Yes the wind has a tendency to blow on Gourock. If funnels up the Clyde and these holiday caravans do take the brunt of it perched up on the hill.

Our house is up on the hill also and in recent years it has been getting spells of quite high winds. In the mains street there is a relatively new building at the end and every time the wind picks up the roof tiles are being blown off and the Police shut the street.

I guess I’m used to being wind-swept and interesting.

David

28-03-2008, 18:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by eagleydo
We were unfortunate to be without electricity in our villa for four days. On the positive side, we were constantly updated by the tv station[/quote]
Not quite sure how without electricity you were able to watch TV !!
[/quote]

I thought that too[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]