PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Gumps

mizzy
15-03-2008, 17:30
hoping someone can help me here

we've never been tempted by the universal parks so all this area is new to me

we would like to maybe eat at bubba gumps which i believe is at universal city walk?

wondering if anyone has tried or would recommend the restaurant and if i have to pay to visit citywalk or to park there?

thanks in advance [msnsmile]

rosie
15-03-2008, 17:35
Marie, we have eaten there a few times and really like it. They did an entree called Accidental Fish and it is my fav, but that was a while ago so may not be on the menu now.

Great cocktails too [party1]

I think parking is free once the parks are closed, but I'm sure someone will know for sure.

Y
15-03-2008, 18:00
When we were there 3 years ago, parking was free after 6pm, even when the parks were open till late. I don't know if that's still the case though.

mizzy
15-03-2008, 18:04
i don't know if it would be after 6pm to eat prob more around early lunch or tea time

i imagined citywalk to be a bit like downtown disney only universal themed but it sounds like it's sandwiched in between the parks?

anyone got any idea of parking costs, we have no intentions of going to the parks?

Lynne S
15-03-2008, 18:12
Hi Marie,

City walk is just as you walk from the car parks, they are like multi storey ones, but it's before the theme parks.
Everyone walks through it going to and from both Universal parks, so it is quite busy. Saying that it has a great atmosphere, plus lots of shops and wonderful restaurants and a cinema. We have had guests who have tried Bubba Gumps and they like Rosie loved it.

I'm sure you will all enjoy it.

Just email Universal and ask about car-parking prices. They are very good at getting back to you.

mizzy
15-03-2008, 18:21
thanks i've had a nose at the universal site and parking is $11 before 6pm

we're not really going for the food [msnembarrased] more on a mission to find peanut butter and jelly lollipops [msneek] my parents have brought them back from Bubba Gumps in LA so we are hoping to find some there and with a $11 car park charge we may as well eat and have a look around citywalk

i've read it's forest gump movie themed but that's no help if you aint seen the movie and apart from knowing that Tom Hanks was in it that's all i do know [stupid1]

Lynne S
15-03-2008, 18:22
Will they travel Marie? I could do what I did with the cereal for you if I find them [msnsmile2]

mizzy
15-03-2008, 18:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lynne S
Will they travel Marie? I could do what I did with the cereal for you if I find them [msnsmile2]
[/quote]

they will travel as they are a hard candy lolly, the trouble is James is well aware there are lots of flavours and wants to browse, i think he has plans to bring one back for each child in is class and some for his own personal supply, big bad mum has been very strict since christmas and to quote James "he cannot wait til florida so he can have some junk" [msneek]

thanks for offering though Lynne they both loved the cereal at christmas, you are a star [msnsmile2]

MarkJan
15-03-2008, 18:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
thanks i've had a nose at the universal site and parking is $11 before 6pm

we're not really going for the food [msnembarrased] more on a mission to find peanut butter and jelly lollipops [msneek] my parents have brought them back from Bubba Gumps in LA so we are hoping to find some there and with a $11 car park charge we may as well eat and have a look around citywalk

i've read it's forest gump movie themed but that's no help if you aint seen the movie and apart from knowing that Tom Hanks was in it that's all i do know [stupid1]

[/quote]You must have seen Forest Gump! Best film ever.
Bubba Gump is on the list for our next trip, download a voucher for a free smootie at www.bubbagump.com

mizzy
15-03-2008, 18:51
thanks Mark, if you are there before me will you do a review and maybe take some food pics?
i would really appreciate it (we are over in may)

15-03-2008, 19:23
Marie you would love City Walk there is lots to see and do for James and Jo[msnsmile2]

dunkderby
15-03-2008, 23:23
Hi Marie

Bubba gumps is a fantastic restaurant, it is based on the Forrest Gump film with lots of memorabilia inside, (I would recommend seeing this film before you visit the restaurant as all the quotes and decorations will make more sense), as all my family love this film and know alot of forrests 'mama always said' quotes 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get'[msnsmile].

They have run forrest run signs on your table, which you show if you don't require any help or drinks etc., and stop forrest stop signs which you show if you want the waiters to stop, it's brilliant.

The food was great, and we all ordered something different and then we sample each others[msnsmile2]. The staff were really helpful and explained what everything on the menu was. We would definately go back to this restaurant.

Also we had a real nice meal at the Bob Marley restaurant at City Walk and very reasonably priced.

Colleen

Kazzie
16-03-2008, 00:06
Marie, I would agree with Colleen and try to watch the film before you go. When we went the waitress was really nice and friendly and did a kind of quiz with us asking lots of questions about the film, they wont be impressed if you know nothing about the film[msnwink]. The food is really good but make sure you are hungry as the portions are huge.

dawn burley
16-03-2008, 01:40
This is one of my favourite films[msnsmile] I have to confess I walked by this restaurant in Feb and thought it looked interesting. Now I have read all your reviews this is definitely going to be on my to do list[msnsmile]

Pegasus928
16-03-2008, 17:46
Marie I am sure you would all love City Walk but should you decide not to go then we will definitely be going so I could always pick up the things you want [msnsmile2] After all I will be needing to look in the Fossil shop (this is where people will probably tell me it isn't there anymore)

Agree with everyone else though - you must watch Forrest Gump - it is one of the best films we have ever seen, it cetainly is a film that has everything. Taylor must have seen it a dozen or more times.

Elaine

dunkderby
16-03-2008, 22:07
Hi Marie

There is a Bubba Gump gift shop next to the restaurant, I'm sure you will be able to get the lollipops from there.

Colleen

mizzy
16-03-2008, 23:24
thanks Colleen, that's exactly what my little one needs to hear [msnsmile]

Susan J
17-03-2008, 03:25
I can't believe you have never been to the Universal parks- you will all love Universal, although Iof A is for the 'big riders' more.
City walk -I am pretty sure you can valet park and get time free if you are dining, or something similar -the cinema is huge, restaurants all themed, and it is all well worth a visit!

Dianap
17-03-2008, 15:30
Sounds great my grankids loved the Forest Gump movie must go there in April[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
18-03-2008, 13:06
The kids i'll love it Marie. We went to the one in Miami or maybe it was Mexico a few years back and it was fun.

Universal is great better than "the other side" IMO especially with the age of the kids now.

Albert the Frog
20-03-2008, 23:14
just got back and ate in Bubba Gumps last week as it is one of our favourites. The menu has a lot of pretty much everything on it-the portions are huge and you will probably not manage a "British" Starter,Main Course and Dessert. As are most restaurants the prices are very reasonable and the service was excellent (you get the picture).

Like others I can't believe that you haven't seen Forrest Gump-definitely worth a look at- If you change your minds imo the parks are among the best in Orlando.

eagleydo
21-03-2008, 03:54
I must admit was going to have a look at this restaurant on our last visit and then walked straight past without even looking in. This year will put it high up on the list.

dunkderby
06-04-2008, 00:17
Just got the Bubba Gump recipe book[msntongue], and it's got a brilliant quote in it from Forrest.

They asked me if I was running for women's rights
Women are always right:D:D:D

Colleen

CarlitoCass
09-04-2008, 12:13
Universal City Walk doesn't charge a fee to get in, but some of the individual venues do. There is ample parking, fees vary by what type of vehicle you want to park.

chrizzy100
10-04-2008, 08:29
One of the best places for service anywhere...

dunkderby
06-05-2008, 01:28
The Forrest Gump movie is on Film4 on Wednesday 7th May 9.pm.[msnsmile]

Also for all of you out there who love this film, I would recommend reading the Forrest Gump book by Winston Groom, as the film is based on the book there is alot of Forrests life that didn't make it into the film (to risky[msneek], but hilarious:D.) - he goes into space on the oddest NASA mission ever.
There is also a sequel book called Gump & Co - when Gump & Co goes bust Forrest tries his hand at Hog farming, and working at Holy Land theme park,:D:D:D

Colleen

MarkJan
06-05-2008, 06:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dunkderby
The Forrest Gump movie is on Film4 on Wednesday 7th May 9.pm.[msnsmile]

Also for all of you out there who love this film, I would recommend reading the Forrest Gump book by Winston Groom, as the film is based on the book there is alot of Forrests life that didn't make it into the film (to risky[msneek], but hilarious:D.) - he goes into space on the oddest NASA mission ever.
There is also a sequel book called Gump & Co - when Gump & Co goes bust Forrest tries his hand at Hog farming, and working at Holy Land theme park,:D:D:D

Colleen
[/quote]Read the book, seen the film about 15 times, not too impressed with Bubba Gumps. The food was OK but something missing compared to somewhere like House of Blues.