PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Margaret
14-03-2008, 12:23
Hi everyone, if you've read my previous posts you'll know that I had booked with U-Save for our hols in August(our main driver is only 22!). With that option not available for the forseeable future I decided to book with Budget, however I found out in Budgets terms & conditions that the driver has to have held his license for 2 years, Andy only passed his test last April! So I'm stuck in the middle here, do I bite the bullet and go with Dollar or Alamo (would have to pay $350 extra supplement)or wait a bit longer to see if a deal can be done with U-Save? This is the first time we have ever hired a car and if I felt more confident of driving on the "wrong side of the road" I would not have to depend on Andy to drive, I know its probably silly but thats how I feel!
I look forward to our holidays in Orlando sooooo much that I don't want to spoil it by dreading the driving.
Sorry I've gone on a bit[msnembarrased]
Margaret

blott
14-03-2008, 13:04
Margaret, driving in Florida is easy peasy - the roads are bigger, the cars are much easier to drive, parking's a doddle as the spaces are bigger and I have always driven there and never had a problem. You've also probably got a lot more experience in driving than Andy has so this could be your chance to give it a go?

Normally if you're going to theme parks, shopping, etc, etc you don't drive huge distances so it's not going to be a large part of every single day.

If you really want to be organised, why not rent a sat nav and then you at least won't have to worry about getting lost?

cdouglas99
14-03-2008, 13:51
i am in the same dilemma Margaret me and my girlfriend r heading away in august as well and i wont have held my driving license 4 2 years until September. i am still hoping that the u-save car company will be available before then but i am in the dark of whats really happening at the minute so if anybody could help on what the status is with u-save that would be great!!

Chris

blott
14-03-2008, 15:19
The latest news is here. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_43882.asp

ShirleyD
14-03-2008, 16:23
Hi Margaret, I am someone who really hates driving, so when 18 months ago my husband had to stay behind due to work commitments, I had the choice to drive on the wrong side [msneek] by myself [msnscared] or stay at home too [msnsad].

I opted to travel and haven't looked back, itching to drive every time I go. :D

I had only rented a small car as it was just me and managed to set off the panic button before I even got in to the car [msnembarrased] Once I had worked out where all the buttons were I set off, just remembering that I should be the one nearest to the on coming traffic!

A SAT NAV would be a great idea for you unless you have a wonderful navigator as that is then one less thing to worry about. The roads are wide and driving is so easy there it is actually fun :D

Mrs Brizzle
14-03-2008, 17:39
We didn't rent a car the first few trips for the same reason but driving is soooooooo easy and fun over here. You have to remember that in the US the car is king so it's all centered around cars.

They even have drive-thru banks so you don't get out of the car.

Big lanes, slower speed limits, signage aimed at tourists make it a breeze....

Tavles
14-03-2008, 19:04
Hi Margaret
Take the plunge and do the driving yourself.Driving in florida is a joy I look forward to every visit,Its so much less stressful than driving on the small and overcrowded roads in the UK even if you are driving on the `Wrong` side.Enjoy your holiday.

Alan

Margaret
15-03-2008, 11:20
Thanks to everyone who replied, I know it would give us so much more freedom by having a car, I will hire one and a Sat Nav. The problem still remains about "hanging on" for a deal with U-Save or going with Dollar. Andy and the men are visiting Kennedy Space Centre while us girls go to Seaworld so he is going to need to be a named driver. He has driven in Orlando before and is very confident.
Margaret

ShirleyD
15-03-2008, 12:38
The wonderful thing about booking car hire through this site is that you can book quite late with no worries, so I would hold on a couple of months to see if things change. I would contact Roger (through US car hire) though if you intend to hire the Sat Nav to check whether you need to book this well in advance or not.