PDA

View Full Version : Taking older teenagers to Orlando

esprit
09-03-2002, 21:17
Little kids love eveything about a Disney holiday. It is just magic for them. But as a mother of kids now 17, 23 and 25 tears , I have been through the period with each when they were fed up with Mickey but not quite old enough for Ibiza with 18-30. You reach this period on average when they are between 15 and 18 years.
Major gripes are;
1. That they cannot drink. The drinking age is 21. Anyone who even looks less than 30 is asked for I.D. Even on the plane, an 18 year old will not be offered the free booze if it is an American airline.
2. That they cannot drive. The driving age is 16 in the US,lower than the 17 years in the UK .But hire car companies will not accept drivers of less than 21 years and even 21-25 year olds have to pay an extra young driver premium.
3. That there are no clubs, or not any where they don't have to dance with their mum. Any proper clubs will not admit an under 21 year old. Pleasure Island, the Disney night club complex, will admit under 21s provided they are with an adult and do not drink. But even so, they are excluded from entrance to some of the nightclubs such as the Sound Stage.
So what is there to entertain older children on a Disney holiday and take their minds off the lack of booze, clubbing and fast cars?
Some of the rides will be too young for them and there is little to interest teens in the Magic Kingdom or Epcot ( with the exception of Test Track). Islands of Adevnture is good for teens as it has some major scary roller coasters such as the Hulk and Duelling Dragons. They will also like the Montu at Busch Gardens and the Tower of Terror at MGM.
They love the water parks, particularly Wet and Wild and Blizzard Beach where they can prove their manhood( or womanhood) by throwing themselves down practically vertical water slides.
If they miss the thrill of driving, what about hiring a quad bike on Daytona Beach? You need to prove you are 16 plus, hence of driving age, by ID. Or take an air boat ride ( there is one in Kissimmee at Boggy Creek)
Most teens love computer games and Disney Quest is floor after floor of computer games and virtual reality rides. You get this free on the longer hoppers or can buy a day pass.
Finally shopping. Designer clothes at bargain prices. Reebok, Nike and Tommy Hilfiger for the boys and D & G, Donna Karan and Banana Republic for the girls. Plus the large Virgin at Downtown Disney for CDs, DVDs and computer games. What more could you ask?
They may even miss all this the next year when they go off to Ibiza with their friends ( or not!!!!)

Julie Carty

fiona
09-03-2002, 23:35
Well our nearly 17yr old doesn't really want to come to Florida with us this year. She certainly doesn't want to do Sanibel (again) or the Keys - boring!

She would rather go to Europe where she can have a good time - but would we like to pay for it!!

So we have suggested both daughters bring friends with them this summer. Means we have to do the theme parks again and shop until we drop (as long as Chris can disappear to the golf course he'll be happy!).

They love Universal but are finding Disney a little lacking in appeal.

Fiona

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-03-2002, 23:45
Excellent Julie. I've added it to the Florida Guide and credited you with 5 OV Points.

Reading it made me think that we have all this to look forward to (our children are 1 and 3). Happy days!

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

Julieb
10-03-2002, 13:18
I am having the same problem with my nearly 17 year old son. He says this year is the LAST time he is going to Florida. He has only agreed to come this summer because my friend is coming with her teenage children. Florida's BORING Mum!! Well I am looking forward to the days when I can go when its not school holidays, not too long to wait by the sound of it.

Julieb

orlandobabe
11-03-2002, 00:16
We've been spared this-buying our villa so late in their lives!

Daughter loves the shopping/rides/everything Florida and is independent enough to go out with fiance on their tod!

One son loved it but won't come again until he has enough money to pay for himself!(It really doesn't matter-but he won't hear of it!)

I think other son would love to come-but his girlfriend is against the idea! At least they are old enough to drink!

Orlandobabe

esprit
11-03-2002, 02:43
Why dont all of us with 17 and 18 year olds go out there at the same time. We could then get them all together and they could have parties round the pool and play loud music while the mums and dads all go off to Disney. With a bit of luck, we would not see them again for the rest of the holiday.

Julie Carty

fiona
11-03-2002, 03:14
What a great idea Julie. Now if I could only find flights for less than £600 for the summer we'll be out in a shot!

Fiona

steph_goodrum
11-03-2002, 10:42
We're going out from 18th Dec. to 3rd Jan, with a bored 16year old if anybody else is around Hampton Lakes at that time she is desperate that the only way she can get some fun out of the villa in Florida is to meet some new friends. I think we should get them all together for an online chat one day, so at least they'll be able to moan to each other about how deprived they are, as all spare time/money seems to go towards something for the villa.

Babblin Boo

Calamity Jane
11-03-2002, 10:44
I have a 23yr old, 20yr old and 17yr old, the eldest and the youngest arn't impressed but the middle one would come out at every opportunity.
I think its partly to do with not having their mates there and also losing their street cred by going on holiday with parents. Kids are far more confident these days and would go off on their own at the drop of a hat.
Its not about being bored over there, there is probably far more things to do in Fl than at home, but they do have certain limitations if they are not with their parents ie driving somewhere, and being able to have a drink.
We have found that its easier to drop them off at a theme park somewhere and collect them when the ring us.

Calamity

Edited by - Calamity Jane on 11/03/2002 06:45:29

steph_goodrum
11-03-2002, 15:50
This is where ours dips out being an only child, it's no fun going round the parks on your own, she can't wait to be able to go off on her own.

Babblin Boo

orlandobabe
11-03-2002, 20:49
Know the feeling Steph!

My parents solved it by taking a friend-but no-one ever reciprocated by taking me! Sob!

Problem with Orlando is not everyone's parents can afford to send their offspring along!

I think it's a great idea to get everyone together with teen agers . You can drop them off at the parks and give them those 2 way radios-so you know where to pick them up at close of day.

Orlandobabe

esprit
12-03-2002, 00:20
I wpuld go out at Xmas, Steph, as I am sure my 17 year old boy and your 16 year old girl would get along just hunky dory, if you could promise me that it would not be FREEZING cold as it has been for the last two/three Christmases. We said this last Xmas that we would not go out for another Xmas. The flights are dear and you are losing peak season income for your villa and then it is cold. Not on,is it??

Julie Carty

Lesley S
19-05-2002, 22:21
What can I say - spot on.
We are going out at xmas with everyone inc. 16 year old daughter and 12 year old son.

We still have a 13 day gap in July and asked if they wanted to come then as well.

I didn't get the happy smiling faces I expected but a comment of not again!

Needless to say if we do go they will be at home in Sunny Scotland.

Jamie-> and Lesley

Edited by - SunnysideFlorida on 19/05/2002 18:21:29

fiona
19-05-2002, 22:45
Well all is sweetness and light in our house at the moment (and that's apart from AS levels - makes GCSE's like a piece of cake according to ED!).

YD's friend can come, ED's can't, YD is demanding other master suite (we have 2 and 2 MUCH smaller twins). ED says it is hers as right of age!!

Many rows later ED was allowed out this weekend in spite of being in midst of AS's on the proviso she gave up "master suite". Phew!!

Only managed to bribe her to come along by saying she can decorate garage that we are converting into teenage room. Luckily she is doing A level art - although if you'd heard the spat she and the art teacher had last week she's giving up asap (depending on results!!). The head and I are commiserating as to who has to listen to the most teenage tantrums - she wins handsdown with 800 girls in the senior school alone - 200 in the 6th form doing AS and A levels almost simultaneously. Who'd be a teacher? We're also trying to support the art teacher as well as encourage ED that she MUST finish her course work!

Can't tell you how much Chris and I are looking forward to 21 days with 3 teenage girls - just under 2 months to go!

Fiona

steph_goodrum
19-05-2002, 23:24
Julie
I'm hoping this christmas isn't going to be as bad as 2000/2001 when we went, my guest in the villa at the moment tells me when they arrived on April 26 they had record temps of 96/97 for the first few days and were glad when it cooled down a bit so why, when we go do we always get the record lows and record rainfall etc.
Fiona
At least I've only got one doing GCSEs , my sister a couple of years ago had youngest daughter doing 11+/Sats, son doing GCSE, daughter doing A level and she herself was doing finals for a degree she had been working on for 3 years.
Only 4 weeks to go and then it's all over, for another year at least.

Babblin Boo