PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to see AK?

Nostromo
27-10-2003, 20:05
We are going to the Animal Kingdom in the post-Easter low season of late April and will make an early start (8:30am) on the day. Can we see and enjoy everything by, say, 4:30pm assuming a stop for Lunch?

Citrus-view
15-11-2003, 22:09
You may even have time to have lunch in the Magic Kingdom!

We have found the AK falls between to stools it is not a safi park nor a theme park.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-11-2003, 22:18
I'd disagree - we love AK and could certainly spend more than a morning there...if you want to see everything and go on all the rides / see all the shows then leaving by 4:30 would be realistic.

MTP
16-11-2003, 02:28
Agree with the latter. We also love AK and that length of time would allow for a relaxed day at the park. Why not consider an early evening meal at the Rain Forest Cafe at the AK entrance at the end of the day? (We have not dined at this one, but I am sure it is consistent with the one at Downtown Disney and Las Vegas, the only one we have found dissapointing is the one in London that we went to about two years ago).

esprit
16-11-2003, 07:42
Th earlier you start the better. Go straight on the safari as you then have less queues and a chance of seeing some animals. Even at Easter, they are dozy later in the day. I would say pretty much a full day is needed to see everything. Dont miss the Kali River rapids ( great theming), Its Tough to be a Bug and the Festival of the Lion King ( two great shows) also the Dinasaur ride (formerly called Countdown to Extinction). If you have extra time, the Conservation station is worth a look, particularly if you have small kids who would like the petting zoo.

Ruth
16-11-2003, 12:39
We have spent a few days at AK now but have still not seen the parade here[msnsad]There is much more to see/do than you first think[msnsmile]Next time I am going to make sure we see the parade[msntongue]

Amirah
18-11-2003, 03:51
Well, I say it will take two days to do Animal Kingdom...if you love animals. My husband and daughter spent most of our time at Rafiki's Planet Watch and Petting Zoo. They loved interacting with those farm animals. We didn't have time to go to the other side of the park and we didn't catch Camp Minnie or Mickey either. Can't blame it on poor planning because I did my homework. I was able to sit down and take a load off though. If the day is hot, muggy and crowded, plan a two dayer! Also, the live entertainment is awesome. Will go back again next May.

Amirah :)

Nostromo
24-12-2003, 18:24
quote:Originally posted by MTP

Agree with the latter. We also love AK and that length of time would allow for a relaxed day at the park. Why not consider an early evening meal at the Rain Forest Cafe at the AK entrance at the end of the day? (We have not dined at this one, but I am sure it is consistent with the one at Downtown Disney and Las Vegas, the only one we have found dissapointing is the one in London that we went to about two years ago).

We intend to have LUNCH at the Rainforest Cafe during our visit. I think there is one in Disneyland Paris and I found it very good. In fact, if I remember right, Rainforest Cafe is the only place where I actually enjoyed pasta! (I normally dislike Italian food)

orlandobabe
29-03-2004, 23:12
I love the gorillas at AK-that's my favourite bit.

We were delighted on our last trip Feb 2004-when one of the males stood up and began beating his chest. Never seen that before-it was just like the tarzan movies.

I could spend all day in that spot alone just watching them.

Two of the males were haggling over a bit of branch with a few leaves on. One would run at the other one-or make a few faces.

The keeper said when they get really annoyed they throw things at one another-and sure enough -one did. It was priceless.

Everytime you go you see something different.

NickClark
30-03-2004, 00:33
Sorry but Ive got to agree with Citrus-view. I suppose its just down to personal taste. Been there loads of times and always done by 1-2pm. Definately get there 5 minutes before it opens and make straight for the safari. Then work your way back to the gate. Enjoy.

Herbie
01-04-2004, 04:10
Can you do AK in a day ? Depends on whether you're with or without kids (and their ages). If it's with kids and you try and do it in a day it will be too much so take two days and pace yourself. Without kids you can do it in a day if you've been before and know what you want to do and where to go. If you're a first timer then take a couple of days and see it properly.

We've been to the AK Rainforest Cafe and had a really good meal. Couldn't say which is better AK or Market Place.

Herbie

Ana
01-04-2004, 13:32
I find with kids it's a struggle to do it in a day. One of my kids wants to spend half a day just staring at the Komodo Dragon!

Also great for the kids - Kali River Rapids. We can't seem to get away with only doing it once in the day.

Nostromo
02-04-2004, 03:34
Looking at these widely different views and comparing them with our own tastes, my own view (as the original author of this thread)is that we can just about do AK on a good day provided we choose a 'less busy' day of the week, arrive before the gates open, get FPs wherever possible and have lunch on the move (leaving Rainforest Cafe for some other day) and plan the tour carefully. I certainly cannot belive that we can do justice to the park 'by lunchtime' as some members say; I think there is more to enjoying a Theme Park than simply "getting the attractions under one's belt". This should be true more than ever with something like AK. Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

esprit
02-04-2004, 07:20
If you do it in half a day, you are rushing around not taking time to look at all the animals. It depends on whether or not you like zoos. If you dont, you can porbably manage the rest in that time. I could spend half a day just trying to work out what animals there are on the tree of life!! Everyone to their own. PS If you have kids with you dont miss the petting zoo.

Nostromo
02-04-2004, 11:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
If you do it in half a day, you are rushing around not taking time to look at all the animals. It depends on whether or not you like zoos. If you dont, you can porbably manage the rest in that time. I could spend half a day just trying to work out what animals there are on the tree of life!! Everyone to their own. PS If you have kids with you dont miss the petting zoo.
[/quote]

Thanks. All of us love animals and would like to spend some time at least enjoying looking at them in a 'naturalistic' habitat. And yes, my niece will want to go to the Petting Zoo at Rifiki's; the difficulty will be ti get her out of there eventually.

angel24
15-10-2008, 01:50
What day is best to go as we are flying out on Thurs and I've looked at a website avoid the queues and it says the weekends are best to avoid. Would you agree?

jolliffee
15-10-2008, 11:34
Avoid weekends, and there 20 minutes before it opens and make straight for the safari, it will still be cool and you'll see more of the animals. Then plan you trip back through the park, this is a good park but you'll need time to see the animals and birds so take your time.

sammibabe
20-10-2008, 23:09
We spent a day there and didn't even get as far as Rafiki's planet watch. There was definately more there than you first think and you certainly shouldn't miss the Lion King show. On the safari my youngest (age 9) asked one of the attendants and sat up front with the driver which she loved!