PDA

View Full Version : Aquatica Review

roger
26-02-2008, 01:35
We spent a day at Aquatica yesterday. The park opened at 10:00am although we arrived at around 10:45. The queue at the gate was huge, going almost round the whole park, and barely moving, with many frustrated looking people standing around. We decided to go and have an early lunch / late breakfast at Sizzlers then come back later.

By the time we returned at around 12:00 the queue had gone and we went straight in. Mr Busch was there, greeting guests at the gate (no free beer though).

The weather was cloudy, but in the high 70's and cleared by the middle of the afternoon.

We all thought the park was as good, if not better than the other water parks in the area. Not as lush or green as the Disney parks (but a lot of young trees and shrubs), large beach areas, and although busy, plenty of sun loungers. The sun loungers had adjustable backs (unlike Disney) although no arms, so hard to relax without your arms falling on the floor (maybe I'm just too wide [msnsmile2])

Charlotte and Josh have both written a brief review (below), followed by a selection of photos.

[u]Charlotte</u>
I thought that Aquatica was very fun. I enjoyed my time there and the slides were a lot of fun and much different from other places. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It was very beachy and the atmosphere was nice.

There was an amazing park area where there is water all around you that falls out of nowhere when you walk around. Although I didn't eat at any of the restaurants, the menus looked good and the food smelt delicious!!

It was nice as I walked around because it was all so colorful. There were lots of slides where you could go down together and race against each other and the queues moved down really fast.

The sun beds and chairs were pretty comfy and there was a lot of choice of where to sit. If anyone has been to the water park, Wild Wadi, in Dubai it kind of reminded me of that.

It was good because there were 2 lazy rivers and one of them you could float round in rings and relax and the other shoots you around really fast and there was a lot of squirters around which were really fun.

Overall I really enjoyed my time at Aquatica and I would recommend others to go there!

[u]Josh</u>
Aquatica is one of my favourite water parks. It includes 6 waterslides, 2 water play areas, and various other attractions, such as Wave-Pools / Mini Water Slides / 2 lazy rivers.

Firstly, Aquatica, kinda has that nice beach feeling, whereas it does not have that nice tropical feeling as the Disney theme parks do, example, most of the plants/ trees are brown/ dead. It has nice, soft, fluffy, bouncy sand which makes it feel a lot like a beech. Now, to the fun part… RIDES!

The rides main theme is like colourful and fast. My three most favourite rides were the toboggan racers, dolphin, and the twister. (Of course they had much better/ expanded names but I cannot remember them)

The park's theme is Australian so as you are walking up the steps to the ride, the speakers have an Australian guy talking about safety and such, (My favourite quote would be: “Due to safety concerns our lifeguards are not allowed to make direct eye contact with you, Nothing Personal on ya mate” That’s A classic, but why?? ).

All rides are fast and fun, but I don’t want to get into detail and spoil the fun for you, the height restrictions for each ride are 42in unaccompanied, and 48 Alone. 2 lazy rivers include, one slow, and one fast. (Ohhh Trust me, its FAST!) for these attractions, life jackets are provided and required for people under 51in, and can be used by anyone who would want one.

Restaurants are here too, and smell great (I obviously didn’t eat here). people of all ages will enjoy this park, whether you feel extreme and want to tear it up on the attractions, or just laze around on a lounger for the day. Hope this review was helpful for you! Josh parry.

Amelia wasn't too sure how to use the life vests
http://images.orlandovillas.com/roger/dsc00095.jpg

Got it sussed
[img]http:

CERICROWLEY
26-02-2008, 01:41
Thanks Roger

Looks like my visit in a couple of weeks, will be a must for Aquatica.

roger
26-02-2008, 01:55
I meant to add, the huge queue in the morning was apparently due to the fact the first so-many guests were to receive a free gift (a T-Shirt as it turned out), so don't let that put you off arriving shortly after opening hours.

I heard some people had arrived several hours before the park opened at 10:00. The T-Shirts were available for purchase throughout the day at a fairly reasonable cost anyhow.

Lesley S
26-02-2008, 02:00
Good Photos Roger, how fast is the dolphin slide, the one you see the dolphins in. Also do you land in a splash pool or a shallow run in.

roger
26-02-2008, 02:17
The dolphin slide had mixed reviews. The kids loved it. Not too fast, but in the dark most of the way, then about 2 seconds of light as you go through the transparent tube through the dolphin pool, and lucky if you happen to get a glimpse of a dolphin (as the flash of sunlight after the dark leaves you blind for about as long as it takes to go through the tranparent part).

The photo above is the under water view of the same dolphin pool with black and white dolphins. You can see the slide in the background - that's about as much as there is passing through the water, then you come to the end of the slide. I'll have to check with the kids, but from memory you land in a splash pool rather than deep water.

KarenScott
26-02-2008, 02:18
Loved the reviews, you have authors in the making[msnwink]

Photos look good and not at all busy. I'm putting it on my list for my next trip!

mfairhurst
26-02-2008, 02:18
Good photos ROGER looks like your children love it .
Hope to go next time we are there
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

rosie
26-02-2008, 02:20
Looks like the kids had a great time, can't wait to try it out ourselves [msnsmile2]

mizzy
26-02-2008, 02:32
it looks great and not the kinda place i'd lose the kids in which has always been my biggest worry, after two trips we have yet to try a water park [msnoo]

can i ask did you notice at all how accessible the park was? was there any sand wheelchairs, hoists, lifts and such?

also if you are not so brave and chicken out at the top of a slide is there enough room to get back down safely [msnembarrased]

thanks

blott
26-02-2008, 02:38
Great descriptions Roger. Loved Charlotte's descriptive 'water all around you that falls out of nowhere when you walk around' and made me really want to go and experience Josh's 'nice, soft, fluffy, bouncy sand' although normally I can't stand the stuff! :)

Tell me that can't be Leon and Amelia looking so grown up when it was only five minutes ago they were babies? [msnoo]

owen3
26-02-2008, 03:19
Good photo's Roger, It is nice to hear your children's views.
Barbara

walden64
26-02-2008, 06:44
I took Matthew today and he really loved it.

He went on most rides two or three times each and he was raving about it to both Mike and his sisters who are back in the UK at the moment.

Aquaticas version of the lazy river is no where near as long as either of the Disney parks but they also have a swim along rapids which is great and something that Disney parks don't have.

We will certainly be going again next week once it officially opens

Michelle

Nina A
26-02-2008, 11:41
Thanks Roger and family for the review. You could have budding travel writers on your hands there Roger. It was obviously a tough assignment but then hey somebody had to do it [msnwink]

The pictures are great and give a real feel for the place, looks as though there is something for everyone there.

caroline
26-02-2008, 12:49
Great reviews Roger - I see Charlotte has already settled into American spellings!!! I can't believe how much your two 'babies' have grown.
I must admit I wasn't going to bother with Aquatica but now I think we'll have to give it a go!

dawn
26-02-2008, 13:16
Thanks Roger - looks like a must for our April trip

Kazzie
26-02-2008, 13:32
Thanks for the review and the photos Roger. I agree with Charlotte, it does look very colourful. Have ordered my tickets (from here of course[msnwink]) and am really looking forward to trying it out on our trip in 31 days.[msnsmile2]

another
26-02-2008, 14:04
Thanks Roger for a great review. The pictures are really good![msnsmile2]

athurstance
26-02-2008, 14:23
Great reviews - thanks. I can't wait to go to Aquatica when we're over in October and the boys and me have loved seeing the photos and reading about it. Looks like a great park and we hope to go several times when we're over there.

I love the slides - not too sure about the dark one but I will give it a go. The boys will go on anything so I will send them down first.

Mrs Brizzle
26-02-2008, 15:18
Thanks Roger, can't wait to try it out - 10 days until we go now!

thistle1314
26-02-2008, 15:33
Great reports there and loads of good details. Photos capture the size of the place too. Thanks Roger and Co.

ccarcher
26-02-2008, 15:55
Good stuff Roger

Although I would like to see a photo of you laying on a lounger with your arms falling off (the lounger not your body) so that we can be the judge of whether your too wide or not [msnsmile2][clap]

roger
26-02-2008, 17:02
I'm sorry, we didn't have the wide angle lens with us.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ccarcher
Good stuff Roger

Although I would like to see a photo of you laying on a lounger with your arms falling off (the lounger not your body) so that we can be the judge of whether your too wide or not [msnsmile2][clap]
[/quote]

steph_goodrum
26-02-2008, 17:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
The dolphin slide had mixed reviews. The kids loved it. Not too fast, but in the dark most of the way, then about 2 seconds of light as you go through the transparent tube through the dolphin pool, and lucky if you happen to get a glimpse of a dolphin (as the flash of sunlight after the dark leaves you blind for about as long as it takes to go through the tranparent part).

The photo above is the under water view of the same dolphin pool with black and white dolphins. You can see the slide in the background - that's about as much as there is passing through the water, then you come to the end of the slide. I'll have to check with the kids, but from memory you land in a splash pool rather than deep water.
[/quote]

Roger
Out of interest did you pass that comment onto the guest services or anybody (I assume you may have been asked for opinions)? It's just that sort of scenario can trigger migraines, acting almost like a strobe light and possibly other complaints.

When my husband worked in the Dockyard and was working all day in the ships which were often quite dark, he started suffering from migraines and when he was tested was told that his pupils didnt react quickly enough to variations in light and when going from a dark to a light place do not contract as quickly as they should thereby allowing too much light onto the back of the eye and triggering a migraine. He had never had them before working there so we thought there may be a connection. He was told that when going from dark to light then he should always put sunglasses on first at least till they have adjusted. Flashing lights and main beam headlights in the car behind can all have the effect, the light only has to be extra strong for a couple of seconds. I'm sure he's not alone in this cause and the fact that you noticed that it took that long to adjust means it must be noticable and wondered if it was worth putting it in your feedback?

ccarcher
26-02-2008, 18:45
I'm sorry, we didn't have the wide angle lens with us. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ccarcher
Good stuff Roger

[/quote]
[/quote]Svelte looking Roger comes clean at last [msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

The photo above is the under water view of the same dolphin pool with black and white dolphins. You can see the slide in the background - that's about as much as there is passing through the water, then you come to the end of the slide. I'll have to check with the kids, but from memory you land in a splash pool rather than deep water.[/quote]Roger
Out of interest did you pass that comment onto the guest services or anybody (I assume you may have been asked for opinions)? It's just that sort of scenario can trigger migraines, acting almost like a strobe light and possibly other complaints.

When my husband worked in the Dockyard and was working all day in the ships which were often quite dark, he started suffering from migraines and when he was tested was told that his pupils didnt react quickly enough to variations in light and when going from a dark to a light place do not contract as quickly as they should thereby allowing too much light onto the back of the eye and triggering a migraine. He had never had them before working there so we thought there may be a connection. He was told that when going from dark to light then he should always put sunglasses on first at least till they have adjusted. Flashing lights and main beam headlights in the car behind can all have the effect, the light only has to be extra strong for a couple of seconds. I'm sure he's not alone in this cause and the fact that you noticed that it took that long to adjust means it must be noticable and wondered if it was worth putting it in your feedback?[/quote]Not quite on the same topic but regarding the view from the dolphin tubes

I read a separate review of the same day which suggested if you ride the dolphin tubes later in the afternoon, when the temperatures of the water have had a chance to rise then you get a much better / clearer view through the tube

Eespecially if you are able to slow yourself down in some way when passing through the tube

Probably easier said than done when it all happens in the blink of an eye[msncool]

Dianap
26-02-2008, 19:23
Really good review ,it did not look too busy!! will be refreshing to be able to get a lounger, very difficult at Typhoon look forward to trying it out in April also the pictures are brilliant

SteveandJan
26-02-2008, 19:36
Thanks Roger, it looks great

JoshParry08
27-02-2008, 04:40
To reply to those wondering, on the dolphin slide you land in a poolabout 1 and a half meters deep =] Hope it helps

brendawilliams
27-02-2008, 04:44
Great photos Roger, can't wait to go when we are next in Florida[clap]

munster redarmy
27-02-2008, 20:26
nice one roger looks like ye had a great day cant wait to be there

hi roger could you tell me what parking like

roger
27-02-2008, 22:17
Parking is close to the park, so easy, although not free (Disney watre parks have free parking).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by munster redarmy
hi roger could you tell me what parking like
[/quote]

sturgess
28-02-2008, 00:47
Photos look great, certainly makes us want to go again very soon, can you cross over from Seaworld?

Is it true that Wet & Wild said they would close as a result of aquatica opening?

Andrew

munster redarmy
28-02-2008, 18:16
hey there is the parking around good and love the reports really looking forward to going

sorry roger didnt realise the first to replies went in my bad computer on a go slow[msnembarrased]

orlandodaze
29-02-2008, 04:26
It looks a must for our next trip ,I hope we can beat the Easter crowds , thanks for the info .

Nikki D
01-03-2008, 11:39
Your reports are fab. Will be paying a visit next year. [msncry] Seems like such a long time away as going to Mexico this May.

thornton
02-03-2008, 00:49
A definite on our next visit in April.

cookmml
09-03-2008, 17:07
Thanks a lot for this. We are going to Discovery cove in April and purchased the tickets which give us unlimited visits to Aquatica, Busch gardens and Seaworld so we will definitely be going to Aquatica at least a couple of times!

cmcruck
10-03-2008, 17:55
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reviews and photos, we go in 3 weeks so Aquatica here we come!

Thanks again.

Cindy

Lakeside
18-03-2008, 01:51
Thank you Parry Family. - Great reviews well done!
We were disapointed that it was not open when we were there but it will be on our list for next time. Hope to see you all again then
The Lakes

angie28
26-03-2008, 00:33
hi gr8 pics of aquatica please could you tell me do you pay for hire of the loungers at all water parks or is it within admission price cheers

blott
26-03-2008, 01:20
As far as I'm aware, you don't pay for loungers anywhere in the Orlando area - it's very unlike the UK!

angie28
26-03-2008, 23:55
thanks for info that puts my mind at rests [msnsmile2]

louisbourg
16-04-2008, 22:18
great pictures
thank you very much for sharing them , and for the fantastic reviews from you and your family [clap]

we will soon be on our way , and this park is deffienately on our list

i read you can't take in cool bags , so my question is , did anyone eat here ??? i have looked at the banana one [msnsmile2] where this seems to be a buffet style

but any reviews would be great on any of the eateries

thank you very much sharon

Mr G
16-04-2008, 23:31
There are plenty of places to eat and it is quite reasonable.I think we paid $19.99 per adult to eat all day.You were given a wrist band and could return to the buffet style restaurant as often as you liked. It was just burgers, hot dogs, pasta and salads where we went to.You can also buy as much drink as you like.You can take drinks out of the restaurant but no food.

We spent the day in Aquatica so it was good value. Only problem was you were fixed to that one restaurant.There was a pizza place and others there.

We liked Aquatica, it is a smaller water park and it was busy when we were there as it was Spring break but we still managed all the rides.

One thing to remember, if you have a Seaworld/Aquatica combi ticket, don't leave your visit to Aquatica more than 7 days after your Seaworld visit, or vice a versa. The tickets expire after 7 days from first visit.

KarenScott
17-04-2008, 05:58
we bought our tickets today, points added:D, the guy said that the parking lot is not big enough for the park so fills up quite early so best to get there as early as possible or wait until later in the day, off early on Friday to try it for ourselves.

Will try and slow down to catch a sight of those dolphins in the afternooon[msnwink]

roger
17-04-2008, 16:30
It's pretty quiet in the parks this week. We've been to aquatica several times now, always at the weekends (when it's typically busier than week days), usually early afternoon arrival and we've never seen the car park full, so you should be fine.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KarenScott
we bought our tickets today, points added:D, the guy said that the parking lot is not big enough for the park so fills up quite early so best to get there as early as possible or wait until later in the day, off early on Friday to try it for ourselves.

Will try and slow down to catch a sight of those dolphins in the afternooon[msnwink]
[/quote]

canarypam
17-04-2008, 17:24
We had guests who went over Easter and said that they felt they were cramming too many people in. They much preferred Typhoon Lagoon.

orlandodaze
18-04-2008, 04:51
Didnt make Aquatica at Easter and maybe that was no harm ,but from Rogers review we would love to try it next visit . Looks exciting.

Val
02-05-2008, 02:43
Thank you Roger for the photos, it just looks amazing and obviously the childrean had a fab time from the photos.
One of our villa guests went over the Easter period and was full of praise, though he did say very busy, but then it is new and everyone wants to go.

Val

cabledudemike
28-07-2008, 08:04
I had a much different experience than Roger.I went in July 2008 and the park was filled to capacity. The lines were ridiculously long and unorganized. There was one line for 2 different rides which split halfway through. The people that knew this first seemed to be cutting in line but most were going to the less desirable ride although some cut in line for the best ride. There was no staff to direct you or to control line cutting which is very frustrating. We stood in line for 70 minutes for the Dolphin Plunge and I went through the clear tube so fast there was no chance at catching a glimpse of a dolphin. All the lines were just as long for the other attractions. My wife and 14 year old refused to stand in the line and went to the lazy river instead. I stood in lines for 4 and a half hours on a Monday until my back hurt so bad I wished I worked instead. I went on 3 slides. I loved the rapids and spent about an hour in there before going to one of the wave pools. They were so-so. I enjoyed Wet N Wild much more than Aquatica. It just did not seem as though Aquatica has enough attractions or staff to handle large capacity crowds. We went at 9:45 and they were already out of lockers. I would probably have enjoyed the park at a not so busy time a lot more than when I went. I spent less time in line just the day before on a weekend at wet N wild and went on 4 times as many slides and had a blast.

NannyBrook
28-07-2008, 15:59
We will be there in August. Do you think it might be better for us to go for a few hours later in the day (say 3pm)-would this avoid the crowds that cabledudemike encountered do you think?
NannyBrook

Lynne S
17-08-2008, 19:13
I must admit we haven't heard many good reports about Aquqtica, I do think because it is a new park it is very busy.

princesspunka
19-08-2008, 18:16
My partner and I went to Aquatica in April (over Easter) and had a wonderful time. We got their first thing in the monring and we found that this helped us to avoid most of the queues. We went twice. The first time we went, after getting a locker, we went to dolphin plunge and got straight on. The second time, after getting a locker the queue was allready really long. We managed all the other rides a good few times through. Dolphin Plunge is nothing special. You go too fast to see the dolphin anyway!