PDA

View Full Version : Worth going to theme parks with 1 year old twins?

rgribben
14-02-2008, 01:07
I'm hoping you guys can help. We are coming to Orlando in March with our 1 year old twins. I had planned to spend our holiday soaking up the sun and lazing by the pool at our villa [8D] (well as much as you can with small children). Now I'm wondering whether it would be worth visiting any of the theme parks with our boys. I had thought it would be a waste of money/effort at this age. I'm sure this won't be our only trip to Florida with them and we've been to Disney/Universal before we had them. Can anyone advise whether it would be worth going to any of the theme parks with children this age and which ones? I was wondering about the water parks in particular.

Thanks very much!

Rachel

E. Cosgrove
14-02-2008, 01:54
For what it's worth I would love to take my grand daughter and she is just 14 months old. You don't have to pay theme park entance for them at such a young age and I am sure there would be lots for them to enjoy. Maybe just a couple of trips especially to The Magic Kingdom and keep them fairly short.
Morning at the park, afternoon pool and nap and evening fireworks.

They won't remember it but you will:D

ShirleyD
14-02-2008, 02:18
Typhoon Lagoon has its own kiddie area with lazy river and really little slides

Carla
14-02-2008, 02:34
Can they walk yet? Can they swim?

If they can't walk and will be in a stroller then they will get a lot of enjoyment from SeaWorld. There's so much to see and most of it moves of its own free will! I bet they would love the attraction where you walk underneath the huge tank with the fish swimming around and above you.

Magic Kingdom would be a lovely place to take them too because of the various young children's areas.

If they can't walk and/or can't swim, then you will probably find that they will have a fantastic time with armbands in the pool at whichever villa you stay at. I know that a number of my tiny guests have learnt to swim in my pool. No worries about being splashed by the bigger kids either, when you're in your own private pool![msnsmile2]

You might find that the noise of everyone having a great time at the Water Parks might put them off or make them very cautious about entering the water.

PS: I used to put armbands and a rubber ring on my kids so that they could be 'free' in the water. It gave them and us confidence to let them move around on their own while we swam around with them.[msnsmile2]

DaveL
14-02-2008, 03:06
I have taken my own children and my grand children, once when one of them was just a year old. I have to say that from a personal point of view that a trip to the main parks will be lost on a one year old.

Sure there are lots of things to look at in the parks but the twins will be just as happy with a small paddling pool on the villa deck. Relax yourself on this holiday because when you come back in the future when they are older you will have no chance.

Dave

andrewandcarole
14-02-2008, 11:55
I'm sure they will enjoy the moment and will give you a lot of pleasure.

But - will they remember it? No.

As you intend to visit again when they are older I would say it's your call - do it for your own pleasure in seeing their little faces!

Enjoy!

steph_goodrum
14-02-2008, 12:09
It's surprising what the children do take in at that age. Most of them are familiar with Disney Charaters and whilst many would be scared of the actual characters will enjoy the rides like Dumbo, It's a small world etc. I would think they would enjoy some time at Magic Kingdom. It depends on them if they would like the fireworks, some do some don't and it's only by offering the experiences that you will know, bubt as has been said, you won't have to pay for them as they are under 3 so if the weather isnt too hot, personally I would say try 1 day.

Green meadows petting farm (you can google it for directions) is another place small children might enjoy.

Whilst the pool idea is lovely, if the weather is like we had at Christmas (80/85 most days) in March then you may find it isn't practical all day every day and amy end up indoors to keep them cool and hydrated, so at least if you've got some options t planned you can see how you feel when you get there.

taylona
14-02-2008, 12:12
I would agree with Carole. We have taken our daughters since they were babies. They don't remember it but now they are 12 and 14 they love looking back at the photos of themselves and they places and things they did when they were younger. As parents we too got pleasure from our trips watching their faces. The rides and things we did were obviously different and more gentle to now - full of rides like Tower of Terror, The Hulk, Duelling Dragons, Atlantis ... [msneek]

Have a great time and enjoy their reactions to experiences. [msnsmile]

linda allen
14-02-2008, 13:20
We took our two boys when very young and they loved it. Especially Magic Kingdom and Sea world. At Mk there are rides they will love at that age like Winnie the Pooh and Small World.

Every time we take our boys, now 6 and 7, there are different things to do to suit different ages.

caroline
14-02-2008, 13:25
We took my niece when she was 9 months and she loved the character breakfast we took her to. We booked Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary resort - you don't need park admission and if you book a later sitting, you end up with the characters all to yourself and it's not so noisy.

Paula D-S
14-02-2008, 13:51
When we took my youngest at 14 months old she enjoyed the water play areas in all the parks. She loves looking back at photos now she is six and even though she can't remember being there she thinks she looks cute.[msnwink]

If you fancy a change from the parks Greenacres Petting Farm is about 10 minutes from Highway 192 and lot's of hands on experience for little ones.

christhear
14-02-2008, 13:57
Why not take them to cypress Gardens. Lots of childrens rides there and some shows especially for young children.

There are also animals there, some which you get the chance to touch.

We have never queud for anything at this park, and there is a also a small water park included in the price. This opens during March but not exactly sure when.

ewhyte
14-02-2008, 14:26
We took our children ages 5, 4, 2 and 1. It was the 1 year old who was most mesmerized with all the characters, music etc. They have been hooked ever since! (now ages 15, 14, 12 and 11). So if you are in Fl anyway I would think the Magic Kingdom would be an ideal place for your twins.

Elizabeth

berni_richards
14-02-2008, 19:04
Magic kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Busch gardens (for the adults mainly but she saw all the animals)& Sea World our daughter has been too she is now 18 mths old she has been to florida twice already. I might try cypress gardens next petting farm is too advanced for a 1 year old in my opinion we did take a 4 yr old (our friends kid) there 2 years ago.

rgribben
15-02-2008, 17:36
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful. I think we will definitely be going to SeaWorld (we haven't been there anyway) and possibly Cypress Gardens or Magic Kingdom. They aren't walking yet (although one is getting close) so they will be in strollers when we go and they really love anything to do with water so SeaWorld sounds great.

freddiehollie
15-03-2008, 01:51
We took our twins to Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party when they were 11 months old.

Thought we would be in for an hour or so, we left at the end !!!!! They both loved it, parades, caracters etc.
They fell asleep as we left, we have loads of photos to treasure and they are looking forward to going this
October (they will be 4) Had to have a quiet day, the day after though.[msnwink].
They also loved Sea World, you will never forget the memories, the joy on little faces as the meet
Mickey, Goofy, etc and as others have said, when they look at photos now, they get very exited.