PDA

View Full Version : Weaning food

burgessfamily
26-10-2003, 11:27
Hi

Is it okay to use the weaning food in Florida as I read that their milk is high in iron.

Cheers

Burgessfamily

Karen
02-11-2003, 01:22
Hi BurgessFamily, we used US baby food when our son was little and it seemed fine. It is only for a short while, as I kept reminding myself when I could only find low fat yoghurts for him. He was 9 months at that time.

You could buy a cheap food liquidizer while you are out there and batch cook a whole bunch of vegtables then put them into containers in the freezer. Some homes do already have liquidizers, so ask the owners you have booked with [msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2003, 01:35
We found the baby food was ok in the USA. They tended to have a pot of carrot, a pot of potatos etc etc rather than the UK style pots which were more like a meal with a mixture of things.

chrizzy100
02-11-2003, 02:30
quote:Originally posted by burgessfamily

Hi

Is it okay to use the weaning food in Florida as I read that their milk is high in iron.

Cheers

Burgessfamily

This site maybe helpful....
http://www.gerber.com/home

Karen
02-11-2003, 15:24
Yes. it was Gerber food post we used. Our son is 7 now, so he survived (including one visit when he was 5 and he hardly ate anything the whole time we were out there. He did drink a lot thougth[msnscared]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-11-2003, 18:05
I know that John has replied to this already but I think things have moved on somewhat from when our two were little. You can buy small pots of organic food and they do combine flavours, although there is still a plethero of single item pots. Our children are vegetarian so we did have to be cautious as some of the jars contained gelatin, also some milk powder is not vegetarian. I would certainly take your own preferred brand of milk though, if your infant uses powdered milk, for peace of mind. There is no problm at customs taking baby/infant powder into the USA but you must declare it on your white customs form.

Sarah

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 00:09
Hi All,
We are flying out on Virgin from Manchester later this month, with our baby who will be 7 mths. We have been to Florida befor but never with a baby so we are trying to think of every thing we would ever need for the baby.[msnscared]
I like the idea of a hand blender to make your own baby food. I think we will buy on and leave it at our villa, so other parents can use it.
I didnt know we had to declare the baby food, im glad I read up first. Does the same apply to jar food, would we have to declare this aswell.
I know mywife has paked enough powder milk for our 3 week stay. But will definatley buy the blender.
I am so glad i read this first[msnsmile2]
Thanks for the tips.

Oscar

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-11-2003, 00:46
You have to declare ALL food you bring into the USA - in normal circumstances you are not allowed to bring anything in - and certainly no fruit, meat or fish whatsoever. You can get a hefty fine from Customs if you are caught deliberately flouting the rules.

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 01:16
Thanks for the advice, I will make sure we put everything on.[msnsmile]
How about chocolate do they have any problem with chocolate. I dont really like American chocolate it is vile. I have to have some Cadburys chocolate during my 3 week stay.[msnwink]

Oscar

burgessfamily
05-11-2003, 00:34
Does anyone know if the powder milk and jars have to be carried as part as the hand lug or can they go in my cases.........