PDA

View Full Version : Amy Whitehouse

traceya89
06-02-2008, 17:21
It will be very interesting to see if Amy Whitehouse gets a visa to get into the USA for the Grammys in view of her recent pictures in the paper taking illegal substances!

Kazzie
06-02-2008, 17:36
I think you mean Amy Winehouse[msnwink]

andy_d
06-02-2008, 19:14
Great singer/songwriter! Its such a pity about her "problems"

traceya89
06-02-2008, 21:00
oops yes i did mean winehouse, too busy thinking about the American elections!!!

Kazzie
06-02-2008, 22:39
I thought that may be the case Tracey[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by traceya89
oops yes i did mean winehouse, too busy thinking about the American elections!!!
[/quote]

Deb
08-02-2008, 04:41
I've just read on AOL news that's she's been denied it:

<span style="color:blue"> Last Updated: Thursday, 07 February 2008, 21:52 GMT
Winehouse visa rejected

"Amy Winehouse will not be performing at the Grammy Awards"

Amy Winehouse will not perform at the Grammy Awards because her US visa application has been rejected.

The Back To Black star - currently in rehab for drug addiction - had been invited to sing at the event this Sunday. She has been nominated for six awards.

But the US Embassy in London turned down her application.

A spokesman for the star said: "Amy Winehouse will not be performing at this year's Grammy Awards ceremony.

"Unfortunately, her application for a visa to enter the United States of America has been rejected at this time by the American Embassy in London.

"Amy has been progressing well since entering a rehabilitation clinic two weeks ago and although disappointed with the decision has accepted the ruling and will be concentrating on her recovery.

"Amy has been treated well and fairly by the Embassy staff and thanks everyone for their support in trying to make this happen. There will of course be other opportunities and she very much looks forward to visiting America in the near future."

The 24-year-old singer attended a meeting with embassy officials on Monday, accompanied by her lawyer.

In addition to her current well-documented addiction problems - she entered rehab on January 24 after a video emerged of her apparently smoking crack cocaine - she was arrested and fined in Norway last October for possession of cannabis.

Winehouse's six Grammy nominations include Record of the Year for Rehab and Album of the Year for Back To Black.</span id="blue">

Cruella DeVilla
08-02-2008, 05:09
It's the right outcome for this time in her life.

Kazzie
08-02-2008, 13:07
Apparently she will still be singing and joining in by satellite.

florida4sun
08-02-2008, 13:30
She really should be locked up she 'stole' £150 in concert money from us just to watch here stagger around smoking, insulting us and feeling sorry for herself. She needs to spend a month helping out at our local special needs school. Then maybe she would wake up and smell the bacon!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
[/quote]

ccarcher
08-02-2008, 15:16
I think you mean Amy Winehouse[msnwink]
[/quote]

I bet with some of the rules even Mary Whitehouse could struggle to get a visa

steph_goodrum
08-02-2008, 15:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
She really should be locked up she 'stole' £150 in concert money from us just to watch here stagger around smoking, insulting us and feeling sorry for herself. She needs to spend a month helping out at our local special needs school. Then maybe she would wake up and smell the bacon!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you not try and claim a refund Martin. I know I would have done.

Incidentally the paper reported that she went for interview at the Embassy with her lawyer but I was always under the impression that only the petitioners for a VIsa were allowed into interview there?

Lesley S
08-02-2008, 16:32
I have no sympathy for her. Why should she be allowed a visa, the "ordinary" person who took drugs would never be allowed one, so why should she.

GrahamC
08-02-2008, 17:25
I totally agree. It's about time some of these 'stars' learnt that the law applies to them as well.

ladypaula
08-02-2008, 23:03
the outcome is the right one. i read in a newspaper that she had to take a drug test at the Embassy. I dont think she will beat her drug addiction!

Albert the Frog
08-02-2008, 23:16
The big problem is that the likes of Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss and Britney Spears have been destroyed by leeches who only see money.
They all need the help and support of decent family and friends.

I heard a really interesting slant on the Winehouse situation from an American journalist who was criticising the Grammy organisers for inviting her asking why they didn't have a shred of common decency and saying they should have let her get well! Made me think anyway!

ladypaula
09-02-2008, 03:34
Update on aol at 21.39!!!!

Singer Amy Winehouse has been granted a visa for the US, but the troubled star will not be travelling to the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles to perform in person.

"Following further discussions involving the US Embassy in London and officials in the United States, Amy Winehouse has been granted a visa to enter the United States of America," her representatives said.

cant believe this. unsure if it is true or not but on aol. website tonight1

Kazzie
09-02-2008, 04:06
Probably her representatives lying, but to be honest, who gives a damn? I hope nobody who read my post earlier that she would be joining in by satellite thought I was pleased[msnoo]. Personally I cannot see what the fascination is with her, even before the drugs etc she looks like she could do with a damn good scrub with Ajax and a scourer!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ladypaula
Update on aol at 21.39!!!!

Singer Amy Winehouse has been granted a visa for the US, but the troubled star will not be travelling to the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles to perform in person.

"Following further discussions involving the US Embassy in London and officials in the United States, Amy Winehouse has been granted a visa to enter the United States of America," her representatives said.

cant believe this. unsure if it is true or not but on aol. website tonight1
[/quote]

Ruth
09-02-2008, 18:25
From a local US paper:

"Visa denial reversed, too late for Winehouse

Amy Winehouse's visa to the United States has been granted, but the troubled singer won't be traveling to Sunday's Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles to perform in person, her representatives said Friday.

"Following further discussions involving the U.S. Embassy in London and officials in the United States, Amy Winehouse has been granted a visa to enter the United States of America," her agency, the Outside Organization, said in a statement Friday. "Unfortunately, due to the logistics involved ... Amy will not be traveling to the U.S. to perform at the Grammys in person."

Winehouse and her acclaimed "Back to Black" album are nominated for Grammys in six categories. She will perform material from the album by satellite.

Los Angeles immigration lawyer Bernie Wolfsdorf called it surprising that Winehouse was denied a visa until Friday. Although she has a marijuana arrest on her record that could be used for exclusion from the United States, Wolfsdorf said it is commonplace for entertainers to be granted a waiver for such an offense.

"The list of British rock stars with pot convictions is longer than my arm," Wolfsdorf said."

Lesley S
09-02-2008, 19:02
Think it is terrible that the decision has been reversed. There is one rule for one and another rule for the "ordinary" folk.

steph_goodrum
09-02-2008, 23:51
I suppose we are no better though, how many times has Mike Tyson, a convicted rapist, been welcomed into the UK in the interst of "sport" and his (and promoters) bank balance? Talk about sending the wrong messages to the youngsters of today, if they continue to put people like this on pedestals and above the law it is very difficult for children to understand why they should follow what they are being told is the right thing to do.