PDA

View Full Version : What to wear to the parks

esprit
09-03-2002, 04:08
Shorts and tee shirts are the most popular attire, with perhaps a sweattshirt or light jacket for the early mornings or evenings in Autumn, Winter and Spring. Always wear layers. There are lockers in the park in which you can leave your top layers during the day, though you have to get one early in the morning as they fill up quickly. Or tie your sweatshirt around your waist.

If you are going to a park with a lot of water rides, such as Islands of Adventure, Seaworld or Busch Gardens, wear something which will dry easily at any time other than mid Summer when you will appreciate being wet!. Denim takes hours to dry. Also, avoid flimsy dresses on water rides as they may turn see through when wet. I have been caught out on that one!!!
Dresses are not a good idea on roller coasters either. My daughter once wore a sun dress with shoe string straps of a coaster which had a lap strap rather than a harness. It threw her about so much that one of the straps broke and she spent the rest of the day pinned together.

Wear comfy shoes which are not going to fall off on 'feet free' roller coasters. As the weather in Florida particularly in Summer can be wet, take a light waterproof or umbrella with you if you are taking a rucksack. The other option is to buy waterproof ponchos in the park but for a family the price of these can add up. The other things to take are sun screen and insect repellent for the evening.

Julie Carty

fiona
09-03-2002, 04:50
If you are visiting during the summer months buy the water -proof ponchos from the supermarkets such as wal-mark or k-mart for a fraction of the price they are in the theme parks. They don't have Mickey or Shamu on, but you can buy for a family of 4 almost what it costs to buy 1! Also buy the squirt fans from the supermarkets - much cheaper than at the parks. AND YOU WILL NEED THEM!

Fiona

imported_n/a
13-03-2002, 18:04
No matter how much you have worn a pair of shoes/sandals in, after all the walking around the parks, your feet will hurt.

You will notice that most Americans wear trainers (sneakers) and we have found these very comfortable. BEWARE THOUGH - you must wear socks! You may be tempted not to wear socks as it is hot, but you really need to otherwise you can really damage your heels etc.

You can buy in the UK now as well as the US - trainer socks, and you cannot actually see these above the tops of your trainers.

jpeachornby
14-03-2002, 18:11
What is a "squirt fan" please?

Jo

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-03-2002, 18:13
Hi Jo

They are small fans (fit in your pocket as the fan blades fold down) that squirt water through the fan so it produces a vapour effect - great for keeping cool in the heat :).

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

fiona
14-03-2002, 18:13
It is a battery operated bottle with a plastic fan on. You fill up the bottle with water, switch it on and you get a breeze, and if you push the little putton you get a quirt of water!

Fiona

setphaserstostun
27-07-2005, 20:59
Thanks guys.

heathercobbett
27-07-2005, 23:09
Our neighbours insisted on taking smart clothes with them when they went for the first time a couple of years ago (even a formal suit and tie!)

They went on a package deal and stayed in 2 awful hotels (one could not produce properly clean bedding) Sometimes I think people take the least notice of what folk close to them advise!

It is a tribute to Florida that they still had a great time

daxon
28-07-2005, 14:53
If you are wearing a t shirt be careful what the slogan is. We saw a girl turned back for having something printed on her top which the Disney staff deemed 'inappropriate for a family park'. Also make sure your tops are not too skimpy & your shorts are not too skimpy - my teenage neice was given a gentle warning (much to the delight of her mum!!)
[msnwink]

Lyn
28-07-2005, 21:01
I would also say that if you are going during the hight of summer only wear cotton,in man made fibres you will be hot and sticky in no time.

chrizzy100
28-07-2005, 22:12
It looks like I'm the only one wearing 4 inches heels and jeans in the parks then.......[msnsmile2]

Rocco
01-08-2005, 18:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by n/a
No matter how much you have worn a pair of shoes/sandals in, after all the walking around the parks, your feet will hurt.

[/quote]

My husband swears by those gel massaging inner soles bought at Walgreens or CVS

becbecs
01-08-2005, 19:39
A good pair of Traniers/Sneakers is a must for the parks, you wont believe how far you walk if you spend a day at one of the parks. A Baseball cap for us slightly balding chaps also. :D

abbeyvillas
01-08-2005, 19:46
Definitely comfy shoes are a must!! You don't realise how much walking you do when you spend all day at the parks. Well, you do realise when you get back to the villa, kick off your shoes & have to cool your feet off in the pool!!

A squir***an & also a baseball cap are a good idea [8D]

abbeyvillas
01-08-2005, 19:48
Oops - what happened there?
What it should say is: "a squirt fan and a baseball cap " [8D]

Kazzie
17-08-2005, 04:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daxon
If you are wearing a t shirt be careful what the slogan is. We saw a girl turned back for having something printed on her top which the Disney staff deemed 'inappropriate for a family park'. Also make sure your tops are not too skimpy & your shorts are not too skimpy - my teenage neice was given a gentle warning (much to the delight of her mum!!)
[msnwink]
[/quote]

I have to agree with this advice as my teenage son was wearing a tshirt with some slogan from family guys and wouldnt be allowed into the park. Luckily he had a plain white vest on underneath. Although a woman at the next turnstyle had the very same tshirt on and was let through[msnoo]

Karen

flyrr100
14-07-2006, 01:13
I remember last year we saw some Brits turned away because of the FCUK tee shirts they had on. Also girls in shorts and bikini tops have been refused admission.

steph_goodrum
14-07-2006, 03:49
I've been testing out some new trainers I've bought for our summer trip and so far they have been so comfortable that I may have to buy another pair as I@ll have worn them out before I go.

They are from Cotton Traders (£12.49 in the outlet near here) and are mesh uppers, but a bit more rigid than the standard water shoes, the soles are not solid (they have slits in them) so they won't keep the water out if you are walking in puddles but are designed as a cross between a water shoe and trainer, the mesh liner comes out to allow them to dry quickly if they get wet. With or without socks they are really comfortable and I've worn them for walking all day a few times, and to play tennis.

With the upper being mesh it also means they'll fold into the suitcase a bit better and save space.

MichaelaJANE
03-07-2007, 03:36
I have to say what saved me this year was the party feet things . . . i put them in my trainers and my feet were much better throughout the day.

Only cost like $1-$2 or something.

Pegasus928
03-07-2007, 14:31
One accessory we bought last time we were there was a clip that had a rubber ring attached that went around a water bottle and then clipped onto one of my belt loops on my shorts.
This was great as the kids just unhooked the clip anytime they wanted a drink and it saved having to rummage around in the bag everytime.

I would also advise the wearing of socks with trainers - but more for the sake of the other members of your party once you get back to your villa and take your trainers off. [msnscared]phew[msnscared]

Kenny