PDA

View Full Version : visa general questions

jasonp
31-01-2008, 16:16
Hi
I'm new to all of this so apologies if i look stupid. I am going to Orlando in June with my wife and 3 children aged 8,6 and 5. Where do i start with visa requirements etc as i have no clue.
thanks

ccarcher
31-01-2008, 16:42
as long as you have no convictions and or arrests (excluding motoring speed offences) then you just complete the green VWP (Visa Waiver Program) form on the plane

on the other hand if you have an arrest / conviction then its a whole different board game, see the numerous threads on the subject here as to whether you then need to obtain a visa or not

steph_goodrum
31-01-2008, 17:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ccarcher
as long as you have no convictions and or arrests (excluding motoring speed offences) then you just complete the green VWP (Visa Waiver Program) form on the plane

on the other hand if you have an arrest / conviction then its a whole different board game, see the numerous threads on the subject here as to whether you then need to obtain a visa or not
[/quote]
This is one of the criteria but not the only one, also included is if you have ever suffered from mental health issues/illness, certain disesaes etc. so you need to check out the whole criteria to check you and all the familly are eligible to travel under the visa waiver.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

should be able to help you determine if you are eligible for vias waiver progarm and therefore dont need to apply for VIsa.

they've introduced a Wizard to help determine if a visa is needed or not which reminded me that if your passport was issued after Oct 2006 then it must have an e-chip to allow you to travel. I think most of them were being done automatically by then but it may have been at the stage that it was still random which you were sent.

Robert5988
31-01-2008, 19:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:they've introduced a Wizard to help determine if a visa is needed [/quote]

Thanks for that - hadn't seen it.
At least it dispels the view put forward by some on this Board that any 'conviction' meant you couldn't use a waiver.

However it regurgitates the same statement that any arrest, even if no further action is taken, means you cannot use the Visa Waiver.

If that is indeed the 'official' view then why on the I-94W is there reference to crimes of moral turpitude and periods of confinement of five years. A simple question on the I94W asking "have you ever been arrested?" would suffice.

My personal view is that an embassy needs to justify its staffing levels and costs, and fetching thousands of people to visit London or Belfast fulfills that aim.

It is plainly ridiculous that someone arrested in a case of mistaken identity has to apply for a Visa. It is quite clearly against the Spirit and indeed letter of US immigration law.

In any case, the vast majority of people will never look, never need to look and indeed have never even heard about, that purely advisory website. They simply look at the I94 -W on the plane and see the bit about 5 years jail and answer 'No' with a clear conscience.

ccarcher
01-02-2008, 16:20
shame theres not a poll of how many people have travelled who ?

Have a visa

Dont know they need a visa

Or who through the statement or wizard on the embassy site require one and dont have one

Or by the wording on the I-94W do not need one

I bet it would be quite interesting to see the results

As you say majority of individuals and certainly before the days of internet access to forums like this, first contact they had was when asked to complete the I-94W on board the flight (Bit late by then if you do need one)

interesting story when I checked in last August with Virgin and (I have a visa) was given the I-94W to complete

when I informed the member of staff that i dont need to complete this with a visa and was there another form I needed to complete - she insisted on telling me I would not be allowed in unless I completed the VWP [msncry]

Robert5988
01-02-2008, 17:41
I know of several people who travel on a waiver having been arrested in the past and have a criminal record. They have been doing so for years and in good faith had answered 'No' to THE question on the I-94W. On various Forums, including this one, I have heard of similar cases.

It is a complete mystery why the I-94W includes all the '5 years jail and moral turpitude' wording IF the word 'arrest' would suffice.

Heaven knows how those from Europe who don't speak English and have a different legal system are expected to cope.

Regarding your Virgin story, there have been cases apparently of them(and others) turning away passengers(or refusing to confirm bookings) because their passports have less than 6 months left before expiry.

ccarcher
04-02-2008, 16:46
The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing scenario

Frosty
05-02-2008, 01:28
As i remember isn't there a question as to wether you are a terrorist or are you planning terrorist actions???

I wonder how may say yes to this:D

Robert5988
05-02-2008, 14:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:As i remember isn't there a question as to wether you are a terrorist or are you planning terrorist actions???

[/quote]

The reason for the 'stupid' questions like "are you a drug abuser?"
is so that you have committed an offence by lying on the I-94W. Assuming you are a drug abuser.

However it begs the question what is a drug? Asprin? painkillers? If Islay whisky counts I am in trouble!

Frosty
05-02-2008, 16:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:As i remember isn't there a question as to wether you are a terrorist or are you planning terrorist actions???

[/quote]

is so that you have committed an offence by lying on the I-94W. Assuming you are a drug abuser.

However it begs the question what is a drug? Asprin? painkillers? If Islay whisky counts I am in trouble!
[/quote]

Yeah, its a good job its not Jack D or red wine then[msnwink]

But come on, if you really are a terrorist, are you going to worry about lying on a little green form?

ccarcher
05-02-2008, 20:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just couldnt lie on the Green form so went and got me a visa

O B Laden

Yeah, its a good job its not Jack D or red wine then[msnwink]

But come on, if you really are a terrorist, are you going to worry about lying on a little green form?
[/quote]

Robert5988
06-02-2008, 05:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:But come on, if you really are a terrorist, are you going to worry about lying on a little green form?
[/quote]

Well of course there is nothing on the form about terrorism.

However there is nothing illegal about, say, having asserted immunity from proscecution.

However by asking the question on the I-94W and it found that your answer was untrue, you have committed an offence.

steph_goodrum
06-02-2008, 12:34
"ell of course there is nothing on the form about terrorism

If you check question C Robert there definitely is a question about involvement in terrorist groups /activities.

Just out of interest Jason,

Did you find enough information to see if you qualify to travel nder the Visa waiver?

Robert5988
06-02-2008, 14:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you check question C Robert there definitely is a question about involvement in terrorist groups /activities.

[/quote]

Sorry, you are correct, I was just looking at question B which is the one that generally causes concern.

ujpest doza
06-02-2008, 15:03
I'm sure there is a question about WW2 as well[?]