PDA

View Full Version : Worried!!

scooby67
22-01-2008, 18:37
Going back to Florida in August this year and are intending to do Universal/IOA instead of Disney. I've read several posts about the express passes and how much they cost and am getting worried that at this time of the year we are going to struggle to get on many of the rides without them. It just seems to be a total rip-off to charge so much on top of the entrance price. I don't suppose there's any way around it but any advice would be welcome....thanks!

Paula D-S
22-01-2008, 18:41
I have been to both Universal and IOA in July and August and never had an express ticket. OK the waiting times can vary upto 40 minute wait for some but that's not too long to wait, I waited much much longer for the Dumbo ride in MK.[msnembarrased]

Get to the park as early as possible and plan all the rides you want to do in each area, this saves alot of time. Try not to rush here and there but take your time and be prepared to wait a little, it will be worth it.

mfairhurst
22-01-2008, 19:22
When you are waiting in line for rides you will not be bothered as thwere is lots going on around you people performing and the sun is shinging which cannot be a bad thing so has said before make a list of the most important thinks you want to do and do the rest if you have time at the end .
It is not like waiting in UK much better in USA and a lot more fun .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

dcnurse
22-01-2008, 20:15
We have been in August for the past 2 years and although very apprehensive about the queues the first year, we have had no problems at all[msnsmile2]
Would not consider paying Universal any extra after all you have already paid for the privilege of being in the park[msnmad]

chrizzy100
22-01-2008, 20:52
I go all times of the year...never used a fast pass yet...but there are long queues so pick your rides carefully...I find some of the better rides are quite just after lunch....so don't eat dinner time....put it off till 3pm

gail and david roberts
22-01-2008, 21:42
we where there this Christmas and it was very Busy in the parks ,
we found setting the alarm getting up and off
and getting there as the gates open ,8am or 9 am
we had the place to ourselves for hours on New years eve and new years day ,
some of the rides we where the only people on them

we did all the rides we wanted and left about 1pm
went back to the villa or shopping [msnsmile2][clap]
work great for us as my two Young Adult hate to stand in line [msncry][msncry]
this way everyone was happy [msnsmile]

Albert the Frog
22-01-2008, 23:38
Even though there were 6 of us we went on some of the rides as single riders-we were usually in the same car but on a different row and i did spiderman 4 times one after the other in the middle of august by just joining the single rider line-my max wait was a few minutes-worth a thought!!

steph_goodrum
23-01-2008, 03:25
If you do find that you have a problem, don't be afraid to go to guest services and complain as well. They may offer you some fastpasses but the more people who let them know they won't come back to the park until the ayatem is changed the more influence there will be.

eagleydo
22-03-2008, 16:56
Never used the fast passes and always been fine. On some rides once or twice, it has been a little busy at the particular time we have wanted to ride, and then we used the single riders.

LesleyB
22-03-2008, 18:53
It is definitely trying the single rider option if you don't mind splitting up - both Men in Black and the Mummy have single rider options and you can usually go pretty much straight to the front using this option. As a family of four, we join the single rider queue for MinB and usually end up with two of us on the same carriage every time (two rows of three people, so usually one or two empty seats available each time). I'm the only one that will go on the Mummy so I always go for the single rider option and have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes with this option. Spiderman ride also has single rider lane, but have found they sometimes close this later on in the day.

Also, as others have said it is worth arriving as soon as the parks open and heading straight for the rides that you definitely want to do as the queues are better earlier on.

titansfan
06-04-2008, 10:03
The first time we went to Universal/IOA they used the fast pass machines similar to the ones that Disney does. We came back again a couple of years later and found that you had to pay for the priviledge of jumping line in front of other patrons.

We were there in late June at that time and it was very HOT, no air-conditioned ques like Disney. The thing that was very noticeable to me was the length of the fast-pass que lines. Those lines were sometimes over 30 minutes for those who had purchased fast passes.

We went to Disney for the first time last year and although it was crowded, we planned well and spent little time in que lines. We have decided not to go back to Universal/IOA this year and one of the determining factors was the fast passes. I refuse to standby and watch as someone BUYS their way in fornt of me. We learned these lessons as kids NO JUMPING LINE...., but that's just my opinion.

ferris
06-04-2008, 21:17
Was at Universal 2 days ago. Express passes were $46 per person and the wait time on the rides for standard entrance ranged from 10 mins to 90 mins (Hulk Roller Coaster)

Sniff
24-04-2008, 14:23
I was at Universal last week, and the price of the Express pass varies from $20-75 (according to the people we spoke to) depending on time of day and how busy they expect the parks to be. We were there just after opening and the passes cost $20 at that time. As there were about 10 of us we decided to invest, and we all thought it was worth it.

On the Jaws ride for example there was a posted wait time of 45 minutes, but with the passes we walked right to the front and stpped right onto a boat, waiting time absolutely zero! Other rides also were cut from 30-40 minutes to just a few minutes.

Personally I'd say if you're there early and can get the passes for $20 then go for it. I'm not sure I'd pay more than that for them though.

One other point...the passes limit you to one Express use per ride, and the operators are supposed to scan the barcode for this. This only happened on the Mummy ride, so we were able to have multiple goes on many of the rides. [msnwink]
But for this reason don't even think about buying an Express Pass from someone who's leaving the park early (we saw quite a few peopl etrying to sell passes outside) because you might pay for something that's already been used to the max.