PDA

View Full Version : New $20 Notes

steph_goodrum
23-10-2003, 18:09
Just in case there are any people travelling soon who may not be aware, the US has introduced a new $20 bill, prior to issuing the other denominations next year. They became available on 9th October and are the same size as the old note but have a greener background and pale blue and peach colours on the front. The watermarks, pictures etc are the same but there is a small gold eagle on it as well.
I heard that these were only intended for use within the US and would not be accepted by travel agents if you tried to sell and excess funds back to them (as if we're likely to have any!) but when I asked in the Travel agent this morning if they had any pictures as we are going next week and it would be easy for someone to give us a forged note and say these are the new notes, she checked the letter they had been sent about it and another lady said I think that's what I've got, she had just received a new delivery and was trying to work out what was different, they both said there would be no problem with exchanging them there when you bring any currency back. So I've got half a dozen here now so we can study them before we go. Much prettier I must admit, but they are still keeping all the notes the same size apparently when the others come out.

blott
23-10-2003, 19:37
Do you know if the new ones make the old ones obsolete Steph or can you use either? I think I've got some of the old ones stashed away here somewhere!

steph_goodrum
23-10-2003, 19:50
Blott
I'm not sure on that, I assumed there will be a cut off date the same as when they issue new notes in this country after which time they become obsolete. We got a load of the old ones as well so should have a bit of time to spend them. The info I read before they were issued did say they were only going to be issued for internal use in which case the old ones should be fine for a while longer anyway.

neilandkay
23-10-2003, 20:08
Both notes work,

I have not heard of any cut off date for the all green ones. Better not be yet - the ATMs are still giving the green ones out and I used them yesterday!

--Kay

blott
23-10-2003, 22:06
Just wondered as over in the UK they've just phased out some older design £10 notes and now it's £5 notes and, after a certain date, they're no longer legal tender. :(

ctgirlscout
23-10-2003, 22:15
I have never known the US to make any of their paper money "obsolete". Everything continues to get used and eventually they paper money wears out and the banks pull them out of circulation. Every so often you can still come across a really old bill, but it is still considered legal tender.

blott
23-10-2003, 22:44
Thanks Teresa, I won't need to clear out the mattress then! ;)