PDA

View Full Version : visa

glasgowmary
21-01-2008, 02:31
wondered if anyone knows about this ' moral turpitude ' .do you need to apply for a visa if you have ever been arressted of ANY crime , even if the charge is dropped and isn 't a crime of moral turpidude ? i am so confused .....

blott
21-01-2008, 02:38
If you have a look through this section of the forum, you'll find lots of discussions about this.

glasgowmary
21-01-2008, 02:53
thanks again , i was going to dm but didn' t find your details , as i wanted you to know i am grateful for your help ...

Robert5988
21-01-2008, 03:07
As Blott states there are loads of threads on this subject and it all boils down to what publication you read, and/or how you interpret that publication.

There is also no precise definition for offences of ‘moral turpitude’ no matter what US legal publication you read. They are, in general, serious offences that are established by precedent in the various States.

No matter how much you read on the subject, you will still be confused!

glasgowmary
21-01-2008, 03:17
just don' t know if you were ever arressted of anything at all if you need a visa , my son mabe in this spot , we are so confused as a family as we are new at this .... wrong place wrong time,

glasgowmary
21-01-2008, 03:19
think the stress is making my spelling even worse than usual

Robert5988
21-01-2008, 13:27
You can look at the wording on the I94-W(the green visa waiver form) and make your own interpretation of what it means. The reference to crimes of 'moral turpitude' and periods of confinement only serve to confuse.

If someone was on their first visit to the USA and hadn't read forums like this, they could be forgiven for thinking arrests for minor offences, and/or being found not guilty, did not count and they could truthfully answer 'No' to the relevant question. Heaven knows what non English speaking visitors(who are required to use the same form) make of the wording!

Now the bad news:

If you look at the US Embassy website(in UK) for guidance it is quite clear: you cannot enter on a visa waiver if you have ever been arrested - even if you were found not guilty.

If you lived in other parts of the world and looked at their US embassy website it is not so definitive.

Don't bother ringing the US Embassy(at £1.50 a min) they will tell you to come for an interview.

ccarcher
21-01-2008, 19:51
As we have previously discussed and Robert says,

Its really very open to interpretation, and what information you have available to you or whre it comes from

If you had no internet access, you would probably only have a very small percentage of the the information available to you

Although not saying that ignorance is any defence, just that you need to try to keep it all in perspective when making a decision, and try not to worry too much