PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I want to risk it.....

FraserLynn
19-01-2008, 03:01
I am taking my nephew with us for our Feb Florida trip as he has never been before but has always wanted to. I have got a Witnessed letter from my Brother covering me for entry with my Nephew and giving me authority to make medical decision in an emergency, but I have a question about insurance.

My brother never buys separate holiday insurance as he is covered through his platinum Amex membership, but I am always a bit wary of this as my Brother will not be there and often with these deals you have to be traveling together for it to be valid, WE obviously have our own insurance but does anyone know if his amex cover will be Ok even though he is not there and can I take our travel insurance on my nephew or do you have to be a legal guardian to do this.

My brother is always really laid back about this sort of thing.....me I like to be belt and braces and I would rather pay for some extra insurance and be sure but don't know if I can do this.

Thanks

Carla
19-01-2008, 03:09
Your nephew could buy his own insurance for around £20. That way you know that he is covered.[msnsmile2]

ncmurray
19-01-2008, 04:36
I would definitely go for the belt and braces approach. If an insurance company can find a way to get out of honouring a claim, they will!! And the US is no place to be, if you need to pay for medical expenses.

We brought our neice with us last year, and it was no problem for her to get her own insurance. Just to let you know, we were never questioned about the different surnames, or asked for any documentation for her, even though we had every imaginable angle covered. It is only if something goes wrong that you will need to have the proper insurance cover, and any signed documentation, and hopefully nothing will go wrong.

I hope this helps.

Nuala

blott
19-01-2008, 07:24
I'd contact AmEx first yourself and ask! 0800 028 7573

Katys Grandad
19-01-2008, 12:44
I have an Amex card which is excellent for regular travellers and does cover family members even if the cardholder isn't travelling. However, I'm fairly certain that the travel has to be paid for with the card for the cover to apply. Be aware that there are 2 Platinum cards, a credit and a debit version, with different benefits.

For what it would cost, it must be worth the extra to buy individual insurance.

blott
19-01-2008, 13:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
I have an Amex card which is excellent for regular travellers and does cover family members even if the cardholder isn't travelling. However, I'm fairly certain that the travel has to be paid for with the card for the cover to apply. Be aware that there are 2 Platinum cards, a credit and a debit version, with different benefits.

For what it would cost, it must be worth the extra to buy individual insurance.[/quote]I'm not so sure it's that easy to find individual insurance cover for a 14 year old though as a lot of policies start at 16 years of age, which is why I suggested asking AmEx first.

ShirleyD
19-01-2008, 13:15
I would ask your brother for a copy of the policy, just tell him US hospitals will always check this before they admit people

steph_goodrum
19-01-2008, 13:19
As Blott says you could ring Amex and ask the question and though it were your card and your child travelling and get the answer.

You don't say how old your nephew is but just point out to your brother that normal things that could happen to children such as devcloping chicken pox, ear infections, falling over and breaking a bone etc. WILL be very expensive if you need to see a doctor and that even ifyou pay for it you won't take him without knowing that he is fully covered as you will be the one on the ground having to foot the bill. So you need a copy of the policy wording of his documentation (you'll need at least the number anyway and also confirmation from AMEX that you can act on his behalf.

As we're so used to in this country if an accident or illness happens you just go along to the doctor that often people tend to negate these things and think they don't need insurance. But unfortunately life doesn't work like that and if you are involved in an accident as we all know you can't predict the last thing you need to worry about is if they will reimburse you.

Don't forget as well that if Credit card companies are involved and you should need to make a claim, you could have issues with Data protection with Amex not allowing you to speak to them about it, which if you cannot get hold of your brother at the time could prove awkward.

Katys Grandad
19-01-2008, 13:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
As Blott says you could ring Amex and ask the question and though it were your card and your child travelling and get the answer. [/quote]That's a good idea but be sure you know which card he has. I think Amex is probably the best there is for travel but I still find the different benefits and cards confusing.

FraserLynn
19-01-2008, 14:37
Thanks everyone,

I am in a bit of a delicate place here, I just want my brother to get a separate insurance policy for my nephew who is 13, as I am not his guardian I am not sure I can do it, but my brother is adamant that the Amex cover is OK.

We have paid for my nephew's flights, park tickets and everything out there etc and I am happy to pay for this extra insurance as well, just not sure I can do it myself. I am really looking forward to taking him and showing him all that Orlando has to offer but I can see me heading towards a fall out over this because I really do want to ensure he is properly covered.

Tricky one, my brother is really laid back about this sort of thing whilst I am a bit more uptight!![msnscared]

The advice to call amex is a good one, I'll let you know how I get one

FraserLynn
19-01-2008, 14:54
Hi,

I have spoken to amex and whilst the were very reluctant to talk to me as it is not my account, they would confirm that my nephew is covered even if he is not traveling with his parents.....looks like my brother was right.[msnembarrased]

The other thing that they said they would do (if I can get my brother to ring them) is send out a certificate in my nephews name so that it is really clear and simple.[msnsmile2]

He is a really nice kid and my children dote on him so having his go with us this time will be great.

Thanks all

ncmurray
19-01-2008, 15:17
I'm really glad that has worked out ok for you. It looks like he is covered, but eh certificate would be really good to have.

I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time. I have taken our neices with us over the years, and it has always added to our holiday, especially as they hadn't been to Florida before.

Nuala

blott
19-01-2008, 16:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
Hi,

I have spoken to amex and whilst the were very reluctant to talk to me as it is not my account, they would confirm that my nephew is covered even if he is not traveling with his parents.....looks like my brother was right.[msnembarrased]

The other thing that they said they would do (if I can get my brother to ring them) is send out a certificate in my nephews name so that it is really clear and simple.[msnsmile2]

He is a really nice kid and my children dote on him so having his go with us this time will be great.

Thanks all[/quote]Glad it worked out for you with AmEx. Now all you have to concentrate on is having a good time. :)

FraserLynn
19-01-2008, 17:30
You're so right blot....20 days to go[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
19-01-2008, 19:20
And as is usually the way if you are fully covered you won't need it and your brother will say told you so but at least you can go and have a good time without this nagging feeling that you could potentially have a problem. If he has his own certificate at least that should cover all bases.