PDA

View Full Version : Golf

floridafan
17-01-2008, 01:43
Can anyone recommend some moderately priced but very nice courses to play in the area? I am not really a fan of links! I want scenic, my partner probably would prefer challenging - so probably a mix. We liked Diamondback last year - although I ran out of golf balls.

Where do the locals go? Is there anywhere I can get coupons, or do they sell 2 for 1 books in the local shops?

We are coming in February.

MarkJan
17-01-2008, 11:02
My favourite courses are quite different:

Legends on H27, 7-8 miles north of 192. Hilly with some waste areas but not a links $30-$40
Kings Ridge, Opposite Legends. Short, tight and tough greens $30-$35
Harmony, Way down 192. The most scenic course I have played anywhere, long but great $65-$90

andrewandcarole
17-01-2008, 12:50
Check the prices before you play! In the winter months a lot of courses put up prices as it is high season for golf due to all the north Americans who come down to winter in Florida. Certainly Legends is a lot more than Mark has quoted at this time of year.

gulfcovefl
17-01-2008, 22:50
Hi Florida Fan!,

If you decide to come to the Gulf Coast, there are a number of courses just minutes away from any villa in Rotonda West. You may even find a villa that is facing the golf course as well.

andy_d
17-01-2008, 23:50
I liked Harmony also and at around $90 for 2 adults and 2 juniors free you couldn't beat it for value. (that was in october)

ccarcher
21-01-2008, 19:24
I played the International at Championsgate, Celebrations, and Shingle Creek (my favourite) all recomended

Also played Southern Dunes and Kissimmee which were ok

I intended to play Falcons fire in March which is supposed to be fantastic, and possibly Mystic Dunes

I got some disount vouchers when I popped into Edwin Watts golf store, when I was asking about course recomendations, althouhg I had just bought 3 new woods

but I am sure they would offer good recomendations

most of the florida publications and free guides you can pick up offer discount coupons

MarkJan
21-01-2008, 21:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ccarcher
ok

I intended to play Falcons fire in March which is supposed to be fantastic, and possibly Mystic Dunes[/quote]I really liked Falcons Fire when I played there 3 years ago. Having played many other courses since, I think FF is overpriced.

ccarcher
22-01-2008, 14:34
That was my reservation that Falcons Fire does seem to be fairly expensive but not heard a bad word about the place

Hopefully my good friends at Edwin Watts golf stores will be able to pass me some discount coupons for Falcons Fire

EYE FOR DETAIL
24-01-2008, 02:46
HELLO,FALCONS FIRE IS CRAZY PRICE, I PLAYED THERE IN JULY AND PAID $220. FANTASTIC COURSE BUT NOT WORTH THAT TYPE OF MONEY. MY LOCAL COURSE IS KISSIMMEE OAKS AND KISSIMMEE. BOTH ARE GOOD HOWEVER THERE ARE BETTER. YOU WILL FIND THAT PRICES NOW ARE AROUND $55 - $65 AT NORMAL COURSES. DIAMOND BACK IS GREAT AS WELL AS GREEN LEAF. THE ONE I WOULD RECOMMEND NOW IS REMINGTON, GO ALONG 192 TO ST CLOUD, REMINGTON ON THE LEFT. $55 PER ROUND, INCLUDED IN THAT IS YOUR BREAKFAST AND DINER. YOU CAN PICK UP AT ANY COURSE A DISCOUNT BOOKLET AND MOST OF THE COURSES HAVE COUPONS OFF. QUESTION CAN YOU PLAY OR LIKE ME DO YOU JUST CHASE THE BALLS?

Anthony Brook
24-01-2008, 03:09
I have played quite a few in the area now but it really is about individual taste. I still enjoy playing Southern Dunes even though I have had about 20 rounds there now. Diamondback is very good value for money but the greens can be unpredictable.

MarkJan
24-01-2008, 11:30
If you contact Remington before you travel, you may well get a good deal. We played last year for $41.00 each incl all the soft drinks, food, 36 holes and some balls on the range.

ccarcher
24-01-2008, 15:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by EYE FOR DETAIL
HELLO,FALCONS FIRE IS CRAZY PRICE, I PLAYED THERE IN JULY AND PAID $220. FANTASTIC COURSE BUT NOT WORTH THAT TYPE OF MONEY. MY LOCAL COURSE IS KISSIMMEE OAKS AND KISSIMMEE. BOTH ARE GOOD HOWEVER THERE ARE BETTER. YOU WILL FIND THAT PRICES NOW ARE AROUND $55 - $65 AT NORMAL COURSES. DIAMOND BACK IS GREAT AS WELL AS GREEN LEAF. THE ONE I WOULD RECOMMEND NOW IS REMINGTON, GO ALONG 192 TO ST CLOUD, REMINGTON ON THE LEFT. $55 PER ROUND, INCLUDED IN THAT IS YOUR BREAKFAST AND DINER. YOU CAN PICK UP AT ANY COURSE A DISCOUNT BOOKLET AND MOST OF THE COURSES HAVE COUPONS OFF. QUESTION CAN YOU PLAY OR LIKE ME DO YOU JUST CHASE THE BALLS?
[/quote]

I played Kissimee back in August and for $36 including a tube of balls you cant go wrong,

I had seen Remington and will perhaps give it a try, and I dont wish to pay $220 for a round especially in Florida where there is so much choice, and no matter how good Falcons Fire is its not that good,

I can spend a night in the hotel and play Sawgrass for that money

i do fancy Mystic Dunes though and will return to Shingle Creek

As for whether i can play or just chase the balls - I'm like the Tiger except I dont chase them quite as far, and more in a left or right direction !!

Castanea1985
27-01-2008, 02:49
Hi

We are big golfers!! Me (26), hubby (10), daughter - age 21 (11), son- age 16 (7), grandma - 28, and daughter's boyfriend - assistant pro!

We have played quite a few courses over the years and like the following:

Diamondback (would have this as my home club if we lived out there - play it everytime)
Ridgewood Lakes
Stoneybrook West
Celebration
Grand Pines (although have found it varies)
Errol (although some of the family aren't keen)
Magnolia
Legends (up on the 27)

Not too keen on:
Royal St.Cloud (boring)
Kissimmee Oaks (wasn't in very good condition)

There are others we have played which fall in between!!
Hubby won't pay silly money like Falcon's Fire!

Tracy

Mick-H
01-02-2008, 21:46
Highlands is worth a look

Wesser
28-02-2008, 17:00
I would say for the lower budget play at Southern Dunes. It is a fantastic challenging course.

If you have the budget, I would highly recommend Falcons Fire. It is a fantastic course and the staff are really helpful and friendly

MarkJan
28-02-2008, 20:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Wesser
I would say for the lower budget play at Southern Dunes. It is a fantastic challenging course.

If you have the budget, I would highly recommend Falcons Fire. It is a fantastic course and the staff are really helpful and friendly
[/quote]I am unlikely to play Southern Dunes again as there are loads of excellent courses available for less than $50. I paid $80 for Southern Dunes last April.

Ian Dee
28-02-2008, 21:35
Try Grenleafe it has 2 courses and away from the tourusty area, lots of locals and good 'deals'.

Anthony Brook
28-02-2008, 21:47
I wouldn't pay $80 to play SD either but I never have. Last summer paid $35 per round on the foreplay deal. Otherwise I play twilight for $39. You do get hit for higher prices in the cooler months but there are always discounts to be had.

Murph
01-03-2008, 02:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mick-H
Highlands is worth a look
[/quote]

I'm staying on Highlands in April although I must say it's not for the golf. I think it's possibly the worst course around, a field with humps.