PDA

View Full Version : How to Pay?

Jan A
21-10-2003, 18:38
Now we've found our villa I'm a bit unsure of how to pay - is it ok just to send credit card details by email - seems a bit insecure to me. I'm sure the owners are trustworthy but can anyone else get my details or is this the normal way to send a deposit?

athurstance
21-10-2003, 19:17
Its best to ask the individual owner as payment methods vary. We have guests fax our management company with a credit card authorisation form or they can just pay by check but other owners will have different procedures.

blott
21-10-2003, 22:07
Hi Jan

You should never email your credit card details anywhere as this is not secure and I would never ask anyone to do this for that reason. The only way you could get over that is to send several emails at different intervals with parts of your credit card number on it and then tell the home owner which order they go in! Much more secure to send this info by fax or even on the telephone.

Yes, lots of home owners accept credit cards for home rental deposits so nothing unusual about that.

esprit
22-10-2003, 08:43
A credit card payment secures a booking quickly and easily. As an owner I know how nervewracking it can be waiting for days, even weeks, for a deposit cheque to arrive in the mail not knowing whether the enquirer was really serious or not about booking.So if the owner has suggested credit card payment, there is nothing suspcious in that. A lot of owners will take Paypal or suchlike which will take and process your credit card details over a secure server. The processor is independant and it means the owner never actually gets to see your card details. This is much safer than emailing a card number. If the owner doesnt take Paypal and is going to ask their management company to process a card for you, I would suggest you ask for a telephone number and ring your details in rather than emailing them.

Citrus-view
11-11-2003, 01:04
just wanted to add my own weight behind everybody else, have been in IT security for several years and seen websites cracked in min's

Please only give card detaild to sites that start https and or when you see the litlle padlock at the bottom which domates a secure site.

bellaepovera
11-11-2003, 14:21
If you do feel uncomfortable about sending your details over the net, Either faxing them or calling them up would be the best method or have the owner call you.

chrisj
11-11-2003, 14:37
I did a bank transfer, the owner gave us their details and we just went to the Bank and
filled a form in,. Mind you it cost £36 to do it, but was the easiest way for us

hamptonlakes
11-11-2003, 16:59
There are many payment methods but i would say No to sending your credit details via email, what i think most people do is they fill out a credit card authorisation form and then fax it.

Rem using your credit card you will be charge a small persentage to cover the charges from banking company.

Money transfer can be done free if you know that owners bank you can pay cash into there account and when paying it ask the bank to put your name to it.

A cheque is find a good way of making payment also.

Rem never ever send any bank details over an unsecure site or email.

Good Luck[msnsmile2]

josephinekelly
16-11-2003, 21:33
I was also a bit wary about credit card details. I sent the villa owner by email all the details except the credit card number, but we arranged between us for me to make a timed phone call from UK to the States for the number to be notified. I would never, ever, put my details on an unsecured email or website.
Jo