PDA

View Full Version : not locking suitcases ?

paulm
20-10-2003, 16:39
Hello All,

A few weeks ago I heard that people were being advised not to lock suitcases on their return to the UK. This was so that the US customs did not have to smash open the locks on the suitcases if the x-rays revealed suspicious items and they wanted to open the case up.
This leaves them open for theft at either the US or UK airports.

I am sure that my insurance company would not pay out for stolen items if they knew that the cases were not locked up.

Has anyone heard any more on this issue ?

regards

Paul

blott
20-10-2003, 16:54
It's been in force since 01 January 2003 and passengers are advised not to lock suitcases when checking in on return from USA. If you lock your suitcases you will almost certainly arouse suspicions that you have something hidden in there and run the risk of them being ruined if they need to be broken open by US security.

Although your insurance company probably wouldn't entertain a claim if anything was missing from your unlocked suitcase, the individual airline you're travelling with are responsible for providing compensation in the event of anything missing.

As always though, always pack valuable items in your hand luggage as well as any cameras, film, etc (the new stronger x-rays used can ruin your film), anything with batteries, etc. You can also only pack scissors, nail files, any toys which look like weapons, etc in your checked in luggage as these will be removed from you (in UK and USA) before allowing you through the security area.

If you've not travelled to and from USA before or not been for a while, the security has got a lot tighter and does occasionally cause some delays.

wilfy
20-10-2003, 17:06
We've been twice to orlando this year. When leaving at Orlando international , 1st time, we had our bags locked and were requested to unlock them before they put the bags thru a scan system. (You have to wait around until they've been given the all clear.)These were then put onto the conveyer system. However the 2nd time, same thing, asked to to unlock before scanning, However the very nice chap at the entrance to the security area, said that so long as there were no problems, we could put our locks back on before they are placed on the conveyer system.

Not conclusive, but depending on what mood the security officer is in, is wether you can put your locks back on your cases.

steph_goodrum
20-10-2003, 18:33
We always use, and were told by the checkin in staff this is the preferred method, the electrical cable ties to secure our cases. This way they can just snip them off if they want to check and in fact my husbands case was opened on the way back last time and they had replaced it wirh a blue tie. My biggest worry about leaving them unlocked is not with things going missing as I don't pack valuables in there it's the worry of something being PUT INTO my luggage. I can see it could be used as a route for somebody who wished to smuggle something into the country to slip something into your luggage and then if you get through customs the other end find some way to get your case the other end (either using an accomplice or if they are on the same flight then doing so themselves), and if you get stopped, it then becomes your problem trying to prove you had no knowledge of what was in there. It seems a bit silly the checkin staff asking if anybody could have tampered with your luggage and then handing it over unlocked as that then gives somebody the opportunity to tamper with it.
OK so maybe I've read a few too many detective novels etc but especially where illegal substances are concerned there is always someone who wants to chance it.

chrizzy100
20-10-2003, 19:02
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

We always use, and were told by the checkin in staff this is the preferred method, the electrical cable ties to secure our cases. This way they can just snip them off if they want to check and in fact my husbands case was opened on the way back last time and they had replaced it wirh a blue tie. My biggest worry about leaving them unlocked is not with things going missing as I don't pack valuables in there it's the worry of something being PUT INTO my luggage. I can see it could be used as a route for somebody who wished to smuggle something into the country to slip something into your luggage and then if you get through customs the other end find some way to get your case the other end (either using an accomplice or if they are on the same flight then doing so themselves), and if you get stopped, it then becomes your problem trying to prove you had no knowledge of what was in there. It seems a bit silly the checkin staff asking if anybody could have tampered with your luggage and then handing it over unlocked as that then gives somebody the opportunity to tamper with it.
OK so maybe I've read a few too many detective novels etc but especially where illegal substances are concerned there is always someone who wants to chance it.

Someone putting something in would also be my worry....I've not traveled by plane since 9/11....mostly because we like to add to the holiday by driving....so one question I need to ask any ex-pats...do we now need our passports to fly from Boston to Orlando...we've only used our driving licenses before.....

AndrewP
25-10-2003, 00:31
I flew Boston to NYC without any photo ID at all after we lost our passports in Boston! Had to explain ourselves to the army people and get a lost property thing from the airport police station though!

chrizzy100
25-10-2003, 05:52
quote:Originally posted by AndrewP

I flew Boston to NYC without any photo ID at all after we lost our passports in Boston! Had to explain ourselves to the army people and get a lost property thing from the airport police station though!

I think it'll be ok we have our driving licenses and we have to carry our greencards.....I'm not very happy about that....but its now law and you can be fined for not having your greencard on you.....lawyers tell you to put them in a bank......so I carry them only when I travel away from home....

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
25-10-2003, 14:41
We had one of our suitcases searhed on the way back from Floirda a couple of weeks ago. They left a leaflet inside the case explaining what they had done and why, and sealed the case with a blue customs seal so the case could not be opened without breaking the seal.

As has already been said here, just ensure any valuables are not in your cases if you are at all worried.