PDA

View Full Version : Freezing in Florida

Robert5988
17-12-2007, 19:04
After temperatures in the mid 80's for while(10-12F above average)it is now all change.

A cold front came through yesterday, with storms uprooting loads of trees, and really cold air following.

Last night the temperature dropped below freezing in some parts, made worse by a strong North wind. Max temperature today is expected to be mid 50's(18F) below average!!

Not a cloud in the sky - but cold with a serious wind chill!!

blott
17-12-2007, 19:34
Yes, but we can cope for a few days until the temperature goes back up again Robert, we're made of strong stuff! [msnwink]

Lynnes
17-12-2007, 19:38
At least in Florida you know it will not last for long. Here in the UK it looks like it is set in for weeks.

mfairhurst
17-12-2007, 19:41
The warm air is coming back later on in the week so we can manage with a day or 2 cool .
We had a little rain sunday night and did the garden good as so dry in winter .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

ellie
17-12-2007, 20:13
The one thing chilly weather cannot change in Florida is the fantastic soaring blue skies and the sunshine! It's a grim, grey, windy and very cold day here in the UK, and I know where I would rather be! Hang on in there Blott! [msnwink]

chrizzy100
17-12-2007, 20:19
Fl was the same temp as us last night for a while and we were waiting on a major storm...which never turned up...its a little cool in MA now -7....but the sky is a clear blue and the roads are dry....

I must own up to feeling cold in FL if the temp goes down only a little...I can't under it...

Nina A
18-12-2007, 04:54
Cold or not, I know where I'd rather be [msnwink][msnsmile2]

brendawilliams
18-12-2007, 05:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nina A
Cold or not, I know where I'd rather be [msnwink][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I totally agree Nina, it took me ages this morning to defrost the car which was totally white (normally obsidian black) and looked as though it was covered in snow.

Jo
18-12-2007, 07:52
Well , we had a good day today. Yes , it was not hot , but still didn't need coats and we had a great time at Epcot.

I'd rather have colder Florida weather and be in Florida than be at home. We've british - we can handle it!

LiesaAnna
18-12-2007, 12:41
lucky things Jo
wish i was there!

Cruella DeVilla
18-12-2007, 14:08
Not as cold as it is in Manchester though![8D]

Fourdents
18-12-2007, 14:12
I think our mind, on Florida Mode, is set to hot, sunny, shorts and tee shirts.

The temperature drops a little in Florida and our UK mind set thinks cold, damp, woolly, hat and coat.

Even if the temperature drops slightly in Florida it is still a LOT BETTER than a temperature drop in the UK.

I think folks are noticeing the temperature more right now as it has over the past few weeks been un-seasonally warmer in Florida for this time of year .

Whatever the temperature Florida is a great place and lots to see and do whatever the weather.

[high5]

Jill
18-12-2007, 17:28
It was a bit cold yesterday but we were still able to wander around outside without a coat. Don't suppose would have been able to at home. The downside was my driving glasses fell out of my trousers pocket and I am now going to have to get some more made up quickly so I can get about.[msncry]

steph_goodrum
18-12-2007, 17:57
Well Friday and Saturday we spent at the beaches, Fri Melbourne, and Cocoa and Sat Clearwater. It was in the 80's and we had a lovely afternoon boatride in Clearwater.
Although the temp dropped at the weekend the Sun is still shining and although we needed sleeves yesterday it's still a whole lot warmer (and sunnier) than the UK.

The North and midwest has had a whole heap of snow.

I always try to look at it from a positive light, after all if the most important thing you've got to worry about is the temperature then your life can't be all bad. My husband commented how funny it was though that whilst we still felt warm in Tshirts because it had been colder when we left, the locals have donned jackets and gloves.

Tonish
18-12-2007, 19:02
It's cold, cold, cold.

Had to change the air con to heat last night and it doesn't look as if it will warm up until later in the week. Pool heat no use when the north wind hits you.

Heading off to a mall now to buy some jumpers.

Brrr brrr.

blott
18-12-2007, 20:09
We're just fine and dandy.

We went out yesterday in short sleeves and weren't cold.

Our pool heating is gas so it always works just fine whatever the air temperature and with the pool blanket it's toasty.

We put our Velux blankets on our beds last night and were nice and snugged.

There's sun wall to wall - it was a lovely day yesterday and is the same today. Hadn't seen any of that in the UK for weeks before we left, just a pile of sludgy grey skies and a load of rain. No rain here...

Mo Green
18-12-2007, 23:12
Sounds great Blott. We will be over in Rotonda at the end of the month for a few days before flying up to see our son in Chicago and that will be freezing!!

Have had to book ourselves in for a week back in Rotonda to thaw out before we fly back to the UK.

gkjones
19-12-2007, 03:23
We are due to fly out on Sunday 23rd from Manchester for two weeks. One time we spent Xmas 2005 there, it was really cold on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day; we didn't mind at all. When the 'snow' fell in the town of Celebration, it felt real, because of the really cold temperature! Come Boxing Day, the temperature was up in the 80's again! I don't mind if it isn't hot at Christmas, I am not too bothered about the weather; the atmosphere is fantastic in Orlando at Xmas and New Year!

Katys Grandad
19-12-2007, 05:00
The fact is that you aren't going to have constantly hot weather in Florida at this time of year. If you enjoy it there whatever the weather then you aren't going to be dissapointed by it.

If the weather is the main reason you go away in December, you might be better off looking elsewhere but it's perfectly understandable that anybody who owns a home in Florida would go there regardless.

19-12-2007, 11:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
The fact is that you aren't going to have constantly hot weather in Florida at this time of year. If you enjoy it there whatever the weather then you aren't going to be dissapointed by it.

If the weather is the main reason you go away in December, you might be better off looking elsewhere but it's perfectly understandable that anybody who owns a home in Florida would go there regardless.
[/quote]

I agree totally - I love my Christmas build up to be cold and frosty which it has been in the North West of England lately[msnsmile2] Come Boxing Day I am ready for some HOT sunshine so my ideal is the to fly down to the Carribean which I have done in the past.

I don't go to Florida to be chilly or wear jumpers and we have done in the past so we now don't go to Florida in the winter[msnsmile2] March-October is wonderful though[msnwink]

Before I get shouted down by villa owners, its just my personal preference as a guest[msnwink]

Solana
19-12-2007, 16:44
Whilst it must be much better being in Florida rather than the cold north-east we would prefer to have the weather too.
We went several Xmases ago and it was so cold with the wind chill for several days that we were disappointed. Still the sun then comes back out and it's glorious and of course if it's cold you need to go to the malls to spend instead. All of you over there have a great Xmas time.

blott
19-12-2007, 18:48
With the temperatures today in Florida up to 'nice' mid 70s and continuing, those of us enjoying Florida (where the only snow is the soap kind) will leave the rest of you to lap up your cold 37 - 46F UK weather forecast with frost and freezing fog for the next five days without an ounce of feeling in the least bit guilty then! [msnwink]

19-12-2007, 19:25
Yes you can [msnsmile2] Enjoy!

Its crisp and clear blue with no sign of fog[msnwink]just the way I like it for Christmas[msnwink] lets hope we get some real snow too[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

jolliffee
19-12-2007, 19:59
Wish I was in Florida too Blott, even when it's cold it still seems warm[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
19-12-2007, 21:30
I love the cold if its warm inside....my MA house drops to 55 at night...we have snow right now but I don't think it will be a white Christmas...

I've always liked Christmas in FL even if we have had a few cold ones...

Mo Green
19-12-2007, 23:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
With the temperatures today in Florida up to 'nice' mid 70s and continuing, those of us enjoying Florida (where the only snow is the soap kind) will leave the rest of you to lap up your cold 37 - 46F UK weather forecast with frost and freezing fog for the next five days without an ounce of feeling in the least bit guilty then! [msnwink]
[/quote]

Went to do last minute Christmas shopping this afternoon. An hours drive to find anything comparable to the size of a Florida Mall. Took 15 minutes driving round to find a parking space, £6.50 to park and arrived home at 4.30 with temperature of 0C (and I live in the south of England). Home owner or not I know where I would rather be at this time of year.

We did have one or two cooler days in Florida last year during Christmas and New Year but the temperatures also reached nearly 30C
on some days.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/20071121124420_CIMG3603.JPG

chrisflowers
20-12-2007, 05:55
Better in Florida than the temperatures here in California. Today we reached 52 degrees, and we had to postpone our Christmas trip to the villa, as our removals company notified us that our UK home was arriving here on Saturday, move date probably Boxing Day (we have holidays Christmas Eve and Christmas Day here)

Katys Grandad
20-12-2007, 08:24
There does seem to be a cold spell all across the US at the moment. I was in Boston last weekend and just about got out on a flight 10 hours later than scheduled by going through New York. It was bitterly cold in the North East wind with around 7" of snow falling in about 4 hours.

dunkderby
20-12-2007, 18:04
Although the temperature in orlando is warm enough outside for shorts and t-shirts, am I the only one who takes a cardigan with me for when I'm inside (I hate air-con) I'm sure you could get frost bite. Just watching the weather channel and it's forecast is 77 today with east-north-east winds 5-10mph, so not to bad outside. Probably minus something inside.

Colleen

chrizzy100
20-12-2007, 20:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
There does seem to be a cold spell all across the US at the moment. I was in Boston last weekend and just about got out on a flight 10 hours later than scheduled by going through New York. It was bitterly cold in the North East wind with around 7" of snow falling in about 4 hours.
[/quote]

Its still really cold but wet here now....most of the snow will be gone by Christmas Day....I've never known there to be so many cold days in a row before...

Jo
21-12-2007, 05:59
Spent the day on the beach today. Back to the Florida temperatures we know and love!

brendawilliams
21-12-2007, 14:53
This is the 7th consecutive day when we have had a hard frost in Hampshire (UK). This leaves the landscape white, which is giving a very Christmassy feel, however, the forecast is for milder weather from the weekend.

But still, give me the 70's of Orlando any day[xmas1]

blott
21-12-2007, 18:54
OK, here's our current weather forecast for Kissimmee. So, for those who don't like the heat at this time of year, look away now... [msncool]

76°F | 55°F Fri

77°F | 58°F Sat

79°F | 55°F Sun

76°F | 55°F Mon

luckylady
22-12-2007, 03:45
The weather in Orlando is fantastic we walked around Broadwalk late last night still wearing short sleeved teashirts.is it really December? [msnwink]
[msnwink]

nicseg
22-12-2007, 16:01
I would give anything to swap places with someone in Fl right now. It's cold and damp here in Reading, my hens have stopped laying and to top it all I slipped on ice on Thurday and broke my wrist just in time for Christmas[msncry]

mfairhurst
22-12-2007, 21:16
We are at ST PETES BEACH at the moment it was 57F over night, But now it is 71F so good ,We have someone in the villa so decided to see more of FLORIDA for a change and the blue skys are lovely .
Sorry about your wrist NIC hope it heals quickly and then you can enjoy the festive spirit .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx