PDA

View Full Version : Medical Care

orlandobabe
08-03-2002, 19:12
If you need to see a doctor then you can go to Centra Care centres.
Again you will see them scattered all over where there is a shopping complex.

There's one near the entrance to Splendid China on the 192.

Orlandobabe

fiona
09-03-2002, 03:55
Re going to see the doctor, please don't forget to take out holiday insurance. I had to see the doctor last year for a minor eye infection and got a bill for $200 that would have been a prescription charge in the UK. Claimed it back bar the £75 excess fee, but it's not like in the UK. (Eye infection was got following a dunking at Typhoon Lagoon - swimming parks a major area for eye or ear infections.)

Fiona

Edited by - fiona on 08/03/2002 23:57:02

blott
09-03-2002, 15:30
Not only take out travel insurance as soon as you book your holiday (because it should cover cancellation charges if you need to cancel in the event of illness, etc) but read the small print and instructions on how to claim. Also because medical treatment is very expensive in USA and we were told about someone who spent a week in intensive care when the bill was $1 million (that's over £714,000 at today's exchange rate!). Think how you would pay for that without insurance?

Like Fiona, I needed a visit to a doctor which included an injection and some medication and the bill also came to $200. My insurance allowed me to pay for my treatment myself by credit card and claim on return home. Check out what the minor claim limit is on your insurance otherwise the insurance company have to be informed and approve before you have any treatment!

Always keep receipts so that you can send them to the insurance company when you get home and take note of the claim time limit.

Blott

Edited by - blott on 09/03/2002 11:31:45

esprit
09-03-2002, 19:55
For those with villas west of Disney on 192 and on highway 27, there is a walk in medical center in the new Publix complex at the junction of 192 and 27 and a hospital with an emrgency room on 27 heading down towards Haines ( Heart of Florida hospital).

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
11-03-2002, 00:20
Hubby had to but his own anti-biotic drops which came to $60!

Makes our prescription charges look quite paltry in comparison.

I was shocked.

Orlandobabe

porky
11-03-2002, 13:47
As said earlier, it's very easy to pick up ear infections in the water over here. So, if you're prone to these, do what I did one year and that's to get a prescription dose from the doctor before you go. It will cost you the prescription charge but I'm sure it hasn't quite gone up yet to the cost of insurance excess!

Jacqui