PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here and making the move soon...

SueIP
17-10-2003, 17:55
Hi!

I'm Sue and a Nurse and about to take my Florida License Exam next month. Hopefully be moving to Florida within the next 6-12months.:D

We already own a property in Davenport on The Ridge so that is one hurdle we dont have to jump when we get out there.

I am married with two young boys...

Chat soon:)

chrizzy100
17-10-2003, 18:40
quote:Originally posted by SueIP

Hi!

I'm Sue and a Nurse and about to take my Florida License Exam next month. Hopefully be moving to Florida within the next 6-12months.:D

We already own a property in Davenport on The Ridge so that is one hurdle we dont have to jump when we get out there.

I am married with two young boys...

Chat soon:)

I have an English friend in AZ that could be taking her nursing exam or have a baby whichever comes first....:)...she was a nurse in the UK....she's been told the exam is a lot harder then people think and was also told only 20% of none Americans pass...they sent her a test paper and she know nothing on it.....she now has a job in a hospital for children in AZ.....to find out how its done in the US and for training and then the hospital will pay for her exam.....I have a male nurse friend whos been studying for 4 years....and now his wife is unhappy about moving to the US....he is over here now taking his last exams.....and thinking of doing contract work in Orlando....and going back to the UK for 3 months at a time....not what he wanted at all....:(
Good luck.....:D

Tracy
18-10-2003, 01:16
Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum, you are very lucky having the opportunity to move across. You will have to keep us up to date with future events.

Good Luck with the Exam

esprit
18-10-2003, 05:04
Nursing is one way direct to a green card with no need for labour certification so great is the need for nurses in Florida (they are 15% short) My son is thinking of doing the Florida state nursing course ( it is only two years and you dont need to do a bachelors degree to nurse here) The advantage to this is that he will be qualified in Florida with no need to do the conversion course and exams which I understand are difficult for foreign trained nurses. From what we have experienced with his high school work, they handle some subjects in an entirely different way to in the UK, even things like maths which you would assume would be universal. Good luck anyway, Keep us all informed. Particularly interested in the green card process as even though we live here, my son will have to go through it.

chrizzy100
18-10-2003, 06:01
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Nursing is one way direct to a green card with no need for labour certification so great is the need for nurses in Florida (they are 15% short) My son is thinking of doing the Florida state nursing course ( it is only two years and you dont need to do a bachelors degree to nurse here) The advantage to this is that he will be qualified in Florida with no need to do the conversion course and exams which I understand are difficult for foreign trained nurses. From what we have experienced with his high school work, they handle some subjects in an entirely different way to in the UK, even things like maths which you would assume would be universal. Good luck anyway, Keep us all informed. Particularly interested in the green card process as even though we live here, my son will have to go through it.

My friend who is also an English nurse and also a Sue.....said it is difficult to pass....nurses in the US do more than nurses in the UK....she said the questions were more like what you would ask a Doc than a nurse.....she would of been OK if she had taken general nursing in the UK....the exam you then take in the USA is easier....but she trained just as a childs nurse...so they really want her to retrain for 2 years.....thats on really low pay and long hours....

sunshine state
18-10-2003, 22:12
Hi there Sue and welcome to the forum, i cant blame you for wanting to move out there like i always say if you have the chance go for it good luck with the move planning.

chrizzy100
18-10-2003, 23:10
quote:Originally posted by esprit

They wanted to put my son in high school at 11 because he was way ahead of all the other kids....but hes dyslexic like me....so I asked for him to stay with kids his own age....he's doing well...he teaches the maths class sometimes at his high school.....his maths teacher told us the kids really listen to him....and that he should think about becoming a maths teacher....but he wants to make custom cars and bikes...so its lucky he is doing really well in his shop classes....he's making a custom harley right now....who says schools not fun.....:D

SueIP
19-10-2003, 00:39
have an English friend in AZ that could be taking her nursing exam or have a baby whichever comes first.......she was a nurse in the UK....she's been told the exam is a lot harder then people think and was also told only 20% of none Americans pass...they sent her a test paper and she know nothing on it.....she now has a job in a hospital for children in AZ.....to find out how its done in the US and for training and then the hospital will pay for her exam.....I have a male nurse friend whos been studying for 4 years....and now his wife is unhappy about moving to the US....he is over here now taking his last exams.....and thinking of doing contract work in Orlando....and going back to the UK for 3 months at a time....not what he wanted at all....
Good luck.....

My friend who is also an English nurse and also a Sue.....said it is difficult to pass....nurses in the US do more than nurses in the UK....she said the questions were more like what you would ask a Doc than a nurse.....she would of been OK if she had taken general nursing in the UK....the exam you then take in the USA is easier....but she trained just as a childs nurse...so they really want her to retrain for 2 years.....thats on really low pay and long hours....

I have looked on an official site and found that 40% of International Nurses pass compared to 82% US Nurses - I HOPE to be in the 40%. I am a General Nurse and have been for 14 yrs and feel like I can PASS this exam - I have studied hard since April and scoring well on my practise tests and feel I can do it - Fingers crossed... I believe the exam is hard but it is more to do with Critical Thinking than Knowledge - I am a Nurse Manager and do a lot of Critical Thinking every day.... Yes the US nurses do a lot more than I do but one hospital is willing to train me in these areas - so I am gonna go for it and do the best I can!!! I will let you know the outcome and hopefully I will be telling you I have passed!!!!

chrizzy100
19-10-2003, 01:21
You have one up on my friend...she is not a General Nurse ...if she was it would of been so much easier... she is a childrens nurse...and they want her to have done a bit of everything not just with kids.......the silly thing is she is working in a childrens ward in AZ and thats all she'll be doing....go figure....my male friends is now an English general nurse with American ER training...he did his general nursing in England because it was easier..he was trained for old folk care before that....he passed a mock USA test easy.....:D