PDA

View Full Version : Pool safety hints & tips

blott
08-03-2002, 18:02
Your Florida rental home will almost certainly have its own pool and may also have a jacuzzi. Here are some tips to have lots of water fun but stay safe.

If you have ordered pool heating, please note that it takes quite a long time to heat up the pool to its optimum temperature. If there has been no-one in the home prior to you who has had pool heating, it can take until later on in the day after your arrival to heat properly. You may find that you can order pool heating from the day before your arrival so that it has warmed up for you to use when you arrive at your rental home. Ask your rental home owner if this is possible if you would like this option.

Please use the pool blanket (if provided) when you are not using the pool and at night time. This will keep the pool heat in for you to enjoy.

Some homes will have pool door alarms. These are provided to make you aware that your little ones have 'escaped' onto the pool area and need your supervision urgently. Note that tampering with pool door alarms (if fitted) can incur a $5000 fine or imprisonment!

Florida rental home pools are generally not more than 6 feet deep and some are less. This means that diving into them is prohibited as they are not deep enough to dive safely. Please make sure your kids don't do this.

Pools are expensive to provide and maintain but provide a lot of water fun for your holiday or vacation. So please do not tamper with any of the pool controls as even a small 'tweak' may cost you a lot of money if you have jammed the pump, filter system or heater, etc!

Do not put any liquids or powders into the pool as these may interfere with the working of the pool. It may also mean that you will be unable to use the pool for the rest of your holiday or vacation. Your rental home owner will have ensured that the pool is regularly treated and maintained so that you can enjoy it at its best for your holiday or vacation.

As well as the pool, your rental home may be near unguarded water areas, ie lakes, streams, etc. You need to make sure that your little ones cannot escape your supervision without your notice and get into danger. So, if there is a lake nearby, make sure you keep the front door locked so that your little ones do not have access to the outside without your knowledge. If your home is not provided with pool door alarms, make sure the doors to the pool area are also locked.

Blott

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-03-2002, 18:24
Another excellent article. I've also added this to our Florida Guide and credited you with another 5 OV Points.

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

fiona
08-03-2002, 18:42
Can I also urge, IN THE STRONGEST POSSIBLE TERMS, that when a pool cover is in use at your holiday villa, that you take great care. Children must never be left unattended at the pool area at any time, but in particular if there is a pool cover. The cover keeps the temperature of the pool much warmer during the winter months, but can be dangerous to a child.

Fiona

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-03-2002, 19:46
Good point Fiona. I've added this to blott's article on the Florida Guide.

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

Ann
09-03-2002, 19:44
As far as im aware all homes should now be fitted with pool alarm doors this i think is now law correct me if im wrong
i know they can be an iconveinience at times but once you get used to them they are fine also worth it [if they save just one child from drowning ]
they are also good for saving on the airconditioning as the brits are well known for opening all the doors and leaving them open all day
you cant do this with the alarms

ann duncan

esprit
09-03-2002, 20:59
Warn your guests not to use glasses in the pool area and provide plastic ones for them to use. A broken glass on the pool deck can mean having to drain the pool as there is no way of knowing whether fragments have fallen in or not.

Julie Carty

blott
09-03-2002, 21:08
Pool door alarms are compulsory on homes built in 2000 onwards and are not compulsory on homes built earlier, although some home owners have added them. Guests need to check with home owners whether these are fitted or not.

If pool door alarms are not fitted in a home, it is even more important that parents keep close supervision of their little ones. Locking the doors to the pool area would be a help to do this.

Blott