PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast on a Budget !!

Betty Boo
14-11-2007, 17:54
Hi Guys,

Fairly new to the forum. Did a fly drive to Florida a couple of years ago and travelled from Daytona right down to the Keys, which was amazing. However, we have decided that we want to do the opposite coast this year and we fly out on the 8th December. This time we are on a budget and therefore would like any advice on cheapest places to stay/eat etc.

I would also appreciate any advice relating to the places on the gulf coast i.e. are there any places worth missing out or places that are a definate must see !

This info is probably on the forum somwhere so sorry if it is....

Thanking you all in advance

BB

Clare R
14-11-2007, 20:54
All the Gulf Coast is worth seeing but Short Term Rental properties are only located in a few areas, you'll be able to find them under Gulf Coast if you search back on the main site.

My personal preference is from north to south - Sarasota along with St. Armands Circle, Long Boat Key and Siesta Key with its beautiful sand.

Venice - olde world Florida, you're bound to see the dolphins at the jettiies

Englewood/Rotonda - where accommodation is available. A small town with plenty of shops and restaurants and the beach. Rotonda is largely a residential community but with rental homes.

Gasparilla/Boca Grande - upmarket area with lovely beach and fine lighthouse museum

Punta Gorda - revived since Hurricane Charlie hit in August 2004

Captiva/Sanibel - home of plenty of shells

Cape Coral - as many canals as Venice in Italy

Naples - upmarket town with beautiful shops and restaurants, well known for its sunsets on the pier opposite the end of 12th Street. The sunsets of course are the same anywhere but this is just where everyone goes!!

Suzy
15-11-2007, 14:26
We have stayed on the Gulf Coast for the past 12 years, from my knowledge a lot of places are long term rentals and get fully booked with what they call the 'snow birds' i.e. people coming down for the winter months.

We usually stay in a condo near Sarasota and about 10 mins from the beaches.

Sue

Pookie
15-11-2007, 15:12
Hi Betty,

I think you will find that many of the snowbirds come down after Christmas around mid January, that has been oue experience & Rotonda West has plenty of short term rentals as do other areas.

I am sure you will find villas available try a general inquiry on the site & owners will respond.

As Clare says there is so much to see & do you will be spoilt for choice & the beaches on this coastline are some of the best in Florida.

Have fun choosing & really enjoy your trip.

Lynne

Mo Green
15-11-2007, 19:01
Hi Betty

I agree with Lynne that most 'snowbirds' stay at home for Christmas and come down in mid January for a couple of months.
I am sure you will still find a villa available for the period you are looking for on this site.

Most of the Gulf Coast is lovely but if you stay somewhere like Rotonda you can easily drive south to Fort Myers, Captiva, Naples or north to Venice, Sarasota, Siesta Key in a day and still stay in a villa and be able to budget your costs by eating breakfasts in. If you eat early there are still plenty of places offering 'Sunset Specials'and it is worth looking at the local press for bargain days. Sam Seltzers in Port Charlotte for instance currently has a tasting menu on Tuesdays - bread, starter,main, dessert, glass of wine and a coffee for under $18.

Many of the villas do of course have BBQ's so you can quickly pick-up something on your way home.

gulfcovefl
18-11-2007, 19:20
I have noticed many Canadians visit our area (Rotonda/ Englewood) during the Christmas[xmas1] and New Year [cheers] holidays. Must be too cold outside up that far north for caroling!

Betty Boo
19-11-2007, 12:10
Thanks guys,

We were looking to stay in motels/hotels down the Gulf Coast, are there many available in each area or are there just villas?

Betty

Clare R
19-11-2007, 13:36
Betty - there are very few hotels/motels down the Gulf Coast. There are a smattering of Days Inn and Best Western but can be counted on the fingers of one hand. To get the real feel of the Gulf Coast I really do recommend you spend time in a villa.

Mo Green
19-11-2007, 14:31
As Clare said here are some hotels on the Gulf Coast but many of the budget ones tend to be beside busy roads. If you pay for a better quality one you are not far off of the price of a villa and you have the entire house to yourself as well as your own pool to relax by if you want a quieter day.
There is also the advantage that you can be up quickly and off to explore new areas without having to pack/unpack each day.

Mo

mollymolly
19-11-2007, 16:49
Also staying at a hotel/motel can work out as a false economy as you still have to eat out for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Going to the restaurants for every meal can add significantly to your overall costs.

If you stay at a villa you can cater for yourself eating as and when you want. When you do want to eat out - take advantage of the "Early Bird Specials" mentioned by Mo.

Bernadette

Pookie
19-11-2007, 17:29
I agree with the others on this one Betty, I would plan to base myself in 2 or 3 different areas & rent a villa for 7 nights in each
area. You can then explore on a daily basis & at least this way you have the privacy of a villa & are not cooped up a small motel room.

Lynne

Betty Boo
21-11-2007, 14:06
Thanks Guy,

What area would you recommend to stay in a villa bearing in mind we want a location that is easy reach to many surrounding areas for day trips and somewhere with a bit going on i.e. nice beach, a few shops and something going on in the evening. Also any idea what kind of price are we looking at to book a villa for 7 days?

Thanks for all your help

Betty

Mo Green
21-11-2007, 14:59
Hi Betty

Well it is about a 4 hour drive down the coast from Tampa to Naples and Rotonda is about halfway so perfect to allow you to explore the coast and some of the islands.

You could not wish for a better beach at the local Stump Pass Beach. In December you may only find half a dozen people and a few birds for company!.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2004923183535_StumpPassBeach.jpg

For shopping there is a large Mall at Port Charlotte, Venice for olde worlde shops, or Fishermans Village, Punta Gorda for more touristy type shops. There are plenty of restaurants nearby but it depends what you are looking for in the evenings. There are a few bars and there often is some form of musical entertainment in restaurants.

December is a good time to visit Rotonda as may of the houses are decorated for Christmas.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2005115234734_Lights31.jpg

You can also go on an evening boat trip from Fishermans Village to see the decorated houses along the canals and December is a good time to watch Manatees which swim up the river near Fort Myers.

Look on this site under Gulf Villas http://www.orlandovillas.com/gulf-coast-villas/all/all-communities.aspx and you will find prices of individual villas.

Mo

Betty Boo
21-11-2007, 16:18
Thanks Mo,

What will the weather be like in December?

Betty

andrewmckay5
21-11-2007, 16:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Betty Boo
Thanks Mo,

What will the weather be like in December?

Betty[/quote]These photos are from November and December; beach weather no problem.
andrew

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/200522711470_aaa.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2006916112738_1.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/andrewmckay5/2007729143632_Xmas33.JPG

Betty Boo
21-11-2007, 16:25
Wow, great pictures Andrew !

Thanks Betty

Mo Green
21-11-2007, 16:49
.........and just to prove it this was a photograph we took on December 31st last year for all the family back home who did not believe us. It was slightly above normal and the temperatures can drop some evenings so you may need a sweater.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/20071121124420_CIMG3603.JPG

Mo

LiesaAnna
21-11-2007, 20:42
wow, didnt realise it can be that warm in december, would love to go back to florida before christmas such a magical place, would love to see the gulf coast around that time, we"re staying at spring hill next august, just to much to choose from :D

Mo Green
21-11-2007, 23:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
wow, didnt realise it can be that warm in december, would love to go back to florida before christmas such a magical place, would love to see the gulf coast around that time, we"re staying at spring hill next august, just to much to choose from :D
[/quote]

The local residents will tell you it gets cooler but it is all relevant - it was a lot warmer in December than it was over here in the UK most of this summer! It does start to cool down when the sun goes in but it was still warm enough to sit outside by the pool most evenings.

Mo

LiesaAnna
22-11-2007, 00:18
sounds great Mo, think we will definately have to go in december again:D

22-11-2007, 00:23
Betty we stayed on Fairway Oaks Hudson just north of New Port Richey one February a few years ago and it was lovely, villas are much cheaper than in the Orlando area too[msnwink]

atush
02-12-2007, 20:16
Andrewmac, or others- where is the South Beach Bar and Grill form the photos I saw posted in 2006 in anotherpost?

Andrea

Clare R
02-12-2007, 23:12
South Beach Bar and Grill is on the Gasparilla Island right down on the southern tip not far from the Lighthouse and Museum.

Gasparilla is the name of the Island, Boca Grande is the name of the one and only town on the island. The 'island' is in fact connected to the mainland south of Englewood by a causeway. $4.00 toll to get onto the causeway.