PDA

View Full Version : Disney: Paris vs Orlando

Harmony
16-10-2003, 01:01
A little off topic for this forum, but I need to get this off my chest.

Last weekend we went to Disneyland Paris via eurostar. Great travelling, so quick and easy. :) Disneyland a great disappointment and no comparison to WDW. To my amazement we found Disneyland dirty, lacking in staff and what staff we came in contact with unfriendly and grudging with their service. Food was very poor and yet very expensive. [V] Will NOT be going back. :(

After the wonderful experiences we have had at WDW it was such a shame to have the Disney name connected to such a inferior establishment. The only high point of the weekend was the Wild Bills Wild West Show. Reasonable food and very good show. I look forward to going back to WDW to renew my faith in Disney quality.

Ruth
16-10-2003, 01:15
I agree. We were very disappointed with Disneyland paris especially the attitude of the locals to queues[}:)]It does not cost much more to get to Florida for us from Scotland and I know which I prefer;)The only redeeming feature was that we stayed in the Disneyland Hotel at the entrance and that was nice:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-10-2003, 01:22
We went a few months ago and totally echo this above sentiments. The place was filthy, staff rude and unhelpful, food bad and expensive, everyone smoked...just awful. Several times we had to point out to staff "this is Disney, of course what I am asking is possible" when we were greeted with a gallic shrug and a "tis not possible" [}:)]

We stayed in one of the better Disney hotels there and even this was bad. The room stank when we arrived and evereything was ridiculously overpriced. We had a meal at the hotel restaurant which we thought would be great but it was basically microwaved frozen meals that had obviously been made off the premises.

The only redeeming features were the rides - especially Thunder Mountain Railroad which was better than the Florida one.

Just got back from Florida again and having been back to the "real" Disney there really is no comparison between the two - Paris is just not magic whereas Florida very definitely is :D.

We won't be going back to Disneyland Paris!

Ruth
16-10-2003, 01:38
Lets hope not to many guests go there first and think all Disney is like this and the journey to Florida therefore not worth the effort:(

Harmony
16-10-2003, 01:53
John and Sarah we're with you 100%. It sounds as if your experience very much a carbon copy of ours. :(

Your right Ruth. Anyone going to Paris first could be really put off Disney and it really isn't true Disney. :(

Jeff

michellemaxted
16-10-2003, 02:19
I echo all your comments.

I went to Eurodisney last March and one thing I did notice was the the toilets smelt, what is it with European toilets!!!

Also some youths were queue jumping, they were teenagers, and I could have understood it if it was a "real" ride but not when it was one of the kiddie rides, they just looked so silly sat in one of the cars, I seem to recall it was a Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs type ride.

Our hotel was the Cheyanne and the room was very small. The restaurant was chaotic, a buffet style with a free for all as they don't like to queue...

But on the plus side, we found some funny bikes to hire at one of the big Disney hotels, we spent over an hour there riding bikes with mismatching wheels, saddles facing the wrong way, great fun.:)

chrisj
16-10-2003, 03:44
For my little comment as I love to make them

The issue with euro disney is its in France, thats the problem basically.

Anywhere else in europe and there wouldnt be the problem

To put you all at rest we do not judge the real Disney with the french version
were not that stupid

Carla
16-10-2003, 04:47
Walt must be turning in his grave whenever anyone mentions Disneyland Paris. [}:)][}:)]

What I just can't understand is why the Disney Corporation allow it to operate the way that it does and to be such a poor version of the Florida experience.

Everyone, Europe wide (and the Disney Corp. as well), knows that the Disney Corp. made a TERRIBLE mistake by locating it in France, but they now have to live with that mistake, so surely someone "on high" should sort out the mess. It just seems to get worse year after year.

zulupete1
16-10-2003, 10:35
Im glad im not on my own with disneyland paris. We went to orlando 12 yrs ago and the disney experience was just fantastic. It was just how we imagined and dreamed how disney would be. 2 yrs ago we went to paris and were very dissapointed, just didnt have that disney magic, wont go again and the french dont help to make it magical either. Were going back to orlando on the 18th dec this year for 15 nights and just cant wait. one last thing disney is AMERICA to me, so to put it anywhere else is big minus point from the start.

steph_goodrum
16-10-2003, 11:39
Even California and the original Disneyland doesn't have the same magic of Orlando, although it is much better than Paris, the only advantage Paris has is that it can be done in a weekend but I personally wouldn't make the trip especially unless I really couldn't get to take children to Florida. We've been to all 3 in the past year. We're off to the real thing next week!

chrisj
16-10-2003, 12:55
In Spain they have built a huge park based very simialar to Disney, Its just outside
Benidorm, next door is a huge water park.,

Where Euro Disney went wrong was building it in France in the first place. Not wanting to
upset anyone here, but they planned the park on the assumptoin the English would flock
there.

The only problem with that, is that for the same price of a long weekend at euro-disney you
can get a cheap weeks package to Spain, I know we have looked at this quite a few times.

So look at your options, 4 days in a grotty park, In France where they treat the English
bad (ever had trouble at French customs), Or a week in Hot Sunny Spain where you are treated
normally and there are 2 fantatsic parks

I have had this same conversation with a WDW contact who has in a roundabout way admitted they
made a real blunder

fiona
16-10-2003, 14:29
Wel we're just back from a day trip to France (pas do nord region) and have to say we were treated with utmost politeness throughout.

However, we did EuroDisney the year after we had first taken the girls to Florida, and stayed in the Secquoia Hotel (not sure about the spelling!), and the park was such a disappointment. I feel it is better if you have not been to Florida, but of course wonder how many people then don't make the trip to Florida. Food was appalling in the park - inedible, but very good at the restaurants just outside, Key West and a burger bar I remember as being particularly good. We didn't eat in the hotel apart from breakfast, and I wanted to arrange a breakfast with Winnie the Pooh and no-one spoke enough English, or was manning the desk to ever arrange it. One very disappointed little girl.

I agree, the French were the wrong nation to have the "have a nice day" concept as it is not in their vocabulary. At the park we found the staff rude, they allowed queue jumping - mainly by adults and teenagers - to the detriment of the little ones. We also said we would never go back, and it made us change our opinion of the Florida one dramatically. Not sure the Spanish would have been much better as the ones we find queue jumping in Florida 9 times out of 10 are the Hispanics. However, the weather in Northern Spain would have been far superior to Northern France.

chrizzy100
16-10-2003, 18:53
quote:Originally posted by fiona

Wel we're just back from a day trip to France (pas do nord region) and have to say we were treated with utmost politeness throughout.

However, we did EuroDisney the year after we had first taken the girls to Florida, and stayed in the Secquoia Hotel (not sure about the spelling!), and the park was such a disappointment. I feel it is better if you have not been to Florida, but of course wonder how many people then don't make the trip to Florida. Food was appalling in the park - inedible, but very good at the restaurants just outside, Key West and a burger bar I remember as being particularly good. We didn't eat in the hotel apart from breakfast, and I wanted to arrange a breakfast with Winnie the Pooh and no-one spoke enough English, or was manning the desk to ever arrange it. One very disappointed little girl.

I agree, the French were the wrong nation to have the "have a nice day" concept as it is not in their vocabulary. At the park we found the staff rude, they allowed queue jumping - mainly by adults and teenagers - to the detriment of the little ones. We also said we would never go back, and it made us change our opinion of the Florida one dramatically. Not sure the Spanish would have been much better as the ones we find queue jumping in Florida 9 times out of 10 are the Hispanics. However, the weather in Northern Spain would have been far superior to Northern France.

I also think Spain would of been tons better people wise and weatherwise....the French are not known for being very friendly....I can say this cus my family are French/English.....:D

Claire
16-10-2003, 20:28
I agree with all that has been said. I have been to Paris a couple of times, the latter being with some Californian friends who practically live at Disneyland in Anaheim, and they were absolutely horrified at the prices, the attitude of the cast members, the general attitude of the French, etc, etc. They vowed never to return to France!!

As I understand it, the fact it was built in Paris is a simple question of economics. The French Government was the only one in Europe to offer the appropriate subsidies to the Disney Corp to build the park there. I guess Disney are still receiving hand-outs to keep expanding, but because it seems to be more or less completely French-run they are powerless to change staff attitudes, etc.

Still, the high prices and terrible staff attitudes in Paris make our wonderful homes in Florida and the magic of WDW look even more attractive.

chrizzy100
16-10-2003, 20:48
quote:Originally posted by Claire

I agree with all that has been said. I have been to Paris a couple of times, the latter being with some Californian friends who practically live at Disneyland in Anaheim, and they were absolutely horrified at the prices, the attitude of the cast members, the general attitude of the French, etc, etc. They vowed never to return to France!!

As I understand it, the fact it was built in Paris is a simple question of economics. The French Government was the only one in Europe to offer the appropriate subsidies to the Disney Corp to build the park there. I guess Disney are still receiving hand-outs to keep expanding, but because it seems to be more or less completely French-run they are powerless to change staff attitudes, etc.

Still, the high prices and terrible staff attitudes in Paris make our wonderful homes in Florida and the magic of WDW look even more attractive. Let's just hope the people in charge at Disney do all they can to maintain the very high standards there and not allow the lethargy of certain nationalities now very prevalent in Florida to creep into things in their parks there!

We'll if my daughter moves down to FL she'll be working in Disney....:D
She was offered a job as Alice in Wonderland years ago....I don't think she'd be offered that job again....she lives and dies in army boots and combats....lol

Matt
16-10-2003, 21:47
I have to agree with all of the above, but I also have to say I've been to DLP about 15 times[:o)]

However, the only reason for this is that if there are cheapie flights going from Heathrow, then I'll just pop over for the weekend. I do the rides I want in the parks (mainly Space and Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones), watch the parade, then go back to the hotel, slob out and get ready to go to the Disney Clubs at night.

But the staff are rude in the parks and sometimes in the hotels, although I've found the guys working in the bars and most of the hotel staff OK.

The one thing I really hate, and its only got like this recently, is the walk between the Disney Village, and the park entrances, just outside the station, there are just loads of low-life people trying to sell you things, take pictures and try and sell them to you for an extortionate price and then giving verbal abuse when you don't buy them.

I would have thought that Disney would have at least moved these people on!!

sunseeker
17-10-2003, 03:59
i would agree with all of the above.
we went to eurodisney 6 years ago,
the staff were rude and everything
overpriced. anyone thinking of going
there should save their money and put
it towards a holiday in florida instead.

melfrank
03-11-2003, 21:51
I must agree with all that has been said. We went in 1999- our first experience of Disney and we enjoyed it although the staff were were rude, everything expensive and the food not much good.
However, 6 months later we went to Orlando and how good was that. Brilliant.

Oscar1
03-11-2003, 23:59
Seems like the majority seem to have the same views.
We have been to Euro Disney twice. The weather is awful, the staff are unfriendly, the food is awful and everything is so expensive.
We found that all the disney characters were not very interactive. In Florida if you see a character they will stop and sign autographes or have their picture taken with you. Not in Paris, we didnt get a single picture with anyone.
I found the parades were not as good in Paris, it doesnt have the same magic as Florida. I guess this is because when you see a parade in the rain you cant wait for it to end. I did find that when it was raining the parades were rushed.:(
I think Euro Disney is probably better for small children. Maybe as a mock test for the real thing.
But I have to agree with you all no way near as good as Florida.

Oscar

tinkerbell
17-01-2004, 15:35
Oh! I can't believe these comments! I was just looking online this morning to book a Disney fix to the land of the frog, and I'm thinking maybe not now?!

Nostromo
17-01-2004, 16:38
I took my family to Euro-Disney in May 2001 and to a large extent, agree with what has been said so far. The indifference of the staff was particularly noticeable, a trait that I have come to call as the French Excess (or 'XS' for Xenophobic Surliness...get it?) and seems to be mainly towards English speakers. There was also a lack of organisation and the queing areas were hot and overcrowded. And considering that it was France, the food within the park was nothing special. The only redeeming factor during our visit was that there was a large group of French schoolchildren visiting on the same days as us and contrary to our deepest fears, they were well behaved.

I think France was a very bad choice for Euro-Disney. Apparently, a site just ouside Corby in Northamptonshire was considered, although I am not sure if THAT would have been much better. I think somewhere sunnier like Spain or Portugal would have been a better idea.

I want to use this opportunity to point out many Brits biased attitude towards Germans. In very sharp contrast to the French, we found the Germans in their own country extremely welcoming and helpful, even in non-touristy remote areas.

chrisj
18-01-2004, 01:12
Where I live Warner Brothers were looking at doing a theme park , it would have been massive. Im afraid to admit that I got onboard to fight it and we won

The reason being, it would have been a great success, however not for us that would have lived in the shadows of it, our roads would have been grid locked all the time, they are now and so
we fought against it, we had the promise of local jobs, but they would have only been minimum
wage service industry jobs etc.

Since then quite a lot of big companies have moved to the area that was to be a theme park and
at least now the local jobs are not minimum wage service industry work.

Like I said above, WDW made their biggest mistake with euro disney, and they know it and I would
go back to Benidorm anytime, I know its only 2 parks, but wow the are great and you get the sun and are treated nicely.

Funshine
18-01-2004, 01:48
Tinkerbell - EuroDisney is very nice but not that good by comparison to DisneyWorld Orlando. It doesn't have the same atmosphere or the sunshine!

Disney Hotel accommodation is okay but I wouldn't rush to go again.

tinkerbell
18-01-2004, 01:53
Thanks funshine! I'm reconsidering! Spain maybe?!?!?!

kevinprewett
18-01-2004, 22:37
quote:Originally posted by Harmony

Last weekend we went to Disneyland Paris via eurostar. Great travelling, so quick and easy. :) Disneyland a great disappointment and no comparison to WDW. To my amazement we found Disneyland dirty, lacking in staff and what staff we came in contact with unfriendly and grudging with their service. Food was very poor and yet very expensive. [V] Will NOT be going back. :(

After the wonderful experiences we have had at WDW it was such a shame to have the Disney name connected to such a inferior establishment. The only high point of the weekend was the Wild Bills Wild West Show. Reasonable food and very good show. I look forward to going back to WDW to renew my faith in Disney quality.

kevinprewett
18-01-2004, 22:41
quote:Originally posted by Harmony

I have to agree with you totally!
I fisrt went to Paris the month it opened & vowed never to return! However ! did about 15 months ago thinking I would give it the benefit of doubt as it could only get better during that time. Wrong!! it was a 100 times worse. Who ever decided to site that park in France has a lot to answer for.

Kevin

chrisj
19-01-2004, 00:28
quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell

Thanks funshine! I'm reconsidering! Spain maybe?!?!?!

If like us a few years ago you cant afford Orlando, Spain is the next best thing, Flights are dirt cheap, think we paid £220 for all 4 of us £30 for the taxi to Benidorm then just asked at the first hotel for a room and offered to pay in Cash, got a room for a week for approx £200 and we had a great time

The water park is just outside Benidorm and depends where you stay you can easily walk it, the Big theme park was a taxi ride away.

Would strongly suggest this over EuroDisney anytime

hamptonlakes
19-01-2004, 02:25
I have been to eurodisney once and i have to once was enough, i have to say i would never go back to eurodisney again compared to Disneyworld. I have also say my experience with french is not so good either and also prices are a rip off

For the cost of going to Eurodisney you could go to Orlando for a little more

lisi
26-01-2004, 01:44
Hi - totally agree with everything said. We went to Disneyland Paris just after it opened - having been to WDW 10 years previously. I was so disappointed too - I think the rides I went on weren't bad - I liked Thunder Mountain but as you have all said, the food was expensive, the people rude and I just couldn't believe how different it was from Florida. I thought with it being newly opened everyone would be raring to go but they were just not welcoming at all. The people I went with seemed to think it was alright but I just kept comparing the two.

Lisi

firsttimer
26-01-2004, 20:00
I agree too!
I went to Disneyland California about20 years ago and it was brilliant.
We were all disappointed with Paris. 9 year old son thought it was too babyish. I thought it was too small and too many gift shops selling the same merchandise. We all hurt our heads on the Indiana Jones rollercoaster which does loop the loop- saftety doesn't seem a very high priority. We were dismayed when it said we couldn't eat our own food- and had to hide to do so. Does this happen in Orlando?
Everything was queues, hot, full of litter etc.
We also went to Parc Asterix, and this was a joy to go to- relaxed, clean, pleasant. So....if you're going to Paris, do this instead.

DISNEYDIVA
26-01-2004, 21:45
We went to Euro Disney in the late 90's a year after our first visit to Florida(we couldn't afford Florida that year). We went on a coach trip from the north of England via ferry, the cost was something like £69 each which included an overnight stay in the Santa Fe Hotel on Disney. We were thrilled to be back in Disney and yes we did compare everything and yes it is not a patch on Florida, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. I was not impressed with french toilets en-route, but all in all great value for money(and better than no Disney at all);)

tinkerbell
27-01-2004, 15:34
Thats how I feel! Better than no Disney at all!???

Harmony
27-01-2004, 16:44
Sorry to disagree with you Tink but for me if it's Paris then it's no Disney. I think it's been said already, but worth saying again, that I hope people are not put off disney and think all the parks are like that. It's a very bad advert for Florida Disney to which I can't wait to get back to.

Jeff

sunseeker
28-01-2004, 23:07
Totally agree with you Jeff, Its the same with us. We just wouldnt waste our money on this excuse of a park.
Its Disney World every time for us.
Dave

Bazamor
29-01-2004, 01:28
Disney is in turmoil at the moment with Roy e Disney and Stan Gold resigning due to the poor management by the board and CEO. he says they have lost the "magic" Join the fight on www.savedisney.com [msnsad]

tinkerbell
29-01-2004, 15:17
I'm very interested in this, as I saw an extremely different 'Disney' on my most recent visit. I foudn it money grabbing and the cast a total unhelpful bunch! I'm going to spend some time hvaing a look at this.

kevinprewett
29-01-2004, 15:57

I'm very interested in this, as I saw an extremely different 'Disney' on my most recent visit. I foudn it money grabbing and the cast a total unhelpful bunch! I'm going to spend some time hvaing a look at this.

Hi Tink,
firends returned a short time ago & they have noticed a 'difference' also- let us know what you find

Kevin[msnwink]

tinkerbell
29-01-2004, 17:10
Hi Kevin, have a look at my new thread 'Save Disney' on General chat. Wow, my time off work suddenly has a focus!!!

Nostromo
02-02-2004, 11:57

Tink, my wife and I travel a lot to several different parts of the world between us and have noticed this 'money grabbing' tendency everywhere to a varying degree, including tourist spots in the UK. What you are seeing are the longer term effects of the 9/11 fallout. There is an attempt by the tourism industry to increase its resources one way or another by cutting corners or charging extra for the same service. I've just come back from a week's visit to Lapland; while the whole package is still excellent value for money, it was 15% more expensive plus a day shorter than last year. Disney will be no exception and I suspect we will raise our eyebrows at unexpected costs more than once during our visit.

Also, don't forget this new US visa thing from October 2004; it is ostensibly for security, which makes no sense because those of us with passports valid for a long time can still go the old way. I think the extra revenue brought in by the visa fees has something to do with it.

orlandobabe
04-02-2004, 00:10
My daughter and her fiance went shortly after Euro Disney had opened.

They expected it to be all new and pristine just like in Florida.

It wasn't. Paint was chipped. Cast member costumes were grubby-and some came out wearing trainers.

Quelle Horreur!

Added to that the graffiti-that was quite a few years ago-I dread to think what it is like now.

If you are just going to do the coasters as Matt says-you can turn a blind eye.

But for those going with little ones and want the Magic-well there's only one place to go!

Debs
04-02-2004, 01:24
Have to say the real Disney can only be in Florida (possibly Anaheim but not anywhere near as large as WDW) - after all Mickey is American :D

Nostromo
04-02-2004, 10:56
quote:Originally posted by Debs

Have to say the real Disney can only be in Florida (possibly Anaheim but not anywhere near as large as WDW) - after all Mickey is American :D

Sure, Mickey is American but he could have been adopted by more appropriate carers than the French. I am sure he would have done better in Spain, Portugal or Italy. Disney is quite big in Italy and one of the world's leading Disney historians is an Italian - Alberto Beccatini.

chrisj
04-02-2004, 12:57
The problem is the countries you mention are now building their own theme parks and so
Disney wouldnt get land so easily.

Im afraid in my opinion Disney made their biggest mistake with EuroDisney and should have
done their homework better. They should also have jumped into other countries in Europe
but have missed the boat.

Shame

george
14-02-2004, 02:02
Euro Disney is in France......so are the French! need I say more. Go to Florida and you can go without fear of being run over by a man with onions on his handlebars.Part of EPCOT being the acepted exception.

chrisj
14-02-2004, 02:04
:D:D:D:D:D thats funny

Ray&Sarah
14-02-2004, 03:25
We visited Disney Paris a few years back, and Mickey with a french accent!!! And then there was Minnie with PMT! Nothing to what Winnie the Pooh did to one of our groups children, knocked for six, without even a Désolé![msnwink]