PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Direct

campers moll
15-10-2003, 03:25
Well, we've just come back from a lovely two weeks in Orlando. We flet TCD and I would highly recommend them.

Got the tickets 10 days before departure, checked in no problem. The plane was in the old colours, so I expected a tatty interior. The interior was old, but everthing was fine,

The movie was projected onto a screen at the front, so it wasn't too easy to see it, we watched the new disney Nimo film.

There was a bottle of water and headphones waiting for us. After take off we were offered a free drink, shortly after that they bought round small bottles of wine to drink with our meal.

The meal consisted of a roll and butter, small pasta, shepherds pie and veg (still crisp), lemon cheesecake, cheese and biscuits lastly tea or coffee. The meal was excellent.

There was a 31' pitch and that make SO much difference to the flight, It mean't I could stretch my legs out properly.

Although it was a 9 hour flight, the flight went quickly, I think this was because of the extra leg room.

We were 45 minutes late to leave Gatwick and arrived 30 minutes late in Sanford. We did a fly/drive with TCD and the carhire co was in the terminal (can't remember which one they are!).

TCD have a big presence in Sanford airport, they also have an office at Lake Buena Vista Mall and another one in The Mecado Mall. They offered us (and we took) 20% discount off the orlando flexi ticket price.

The booklet given to me at their Mall office had simple but effective maps. International drive showed the names of the roads cutting across from I4. Gave a list of attractions and malls down I Drive, so if you saw one, you knew where you were on the Drive.

The flight home left Sanford at 9pm, so after re-setting our watches to 2am and having some dinner, everyone settled down for a sleep. because of the extra leg room and being 'bedtime' almost everyone went to sleep - me included. Flight home went so quickly, before we knew it, breakfast was being served (pretty yukkie, yogurt, orange juice and a banana muffin yuk)

We landed half an hour early at 9.45, we had to wait for a plane to leave our bay before we could 'dock'. We flew out and back from the Satelite building.

Would I fly TCD again - you bet ya!

Tashmina
15-10-2003, 22:59
Excellent Lindsey!

We travel with TCD next September and your remarks have settled me somewhat!
I think the car hire company is Dollar [?] but I'm not 100% on that. Did they offer you an upgrade when you arrived as I've heard they can be a bit pushy by telling you the car you've hired isn't available - they then expect you to pay for the upgrade! (wouldn't mind one free of charge ;)) Also what car were you allocated? We've gone for an intermediate (UK equivalent Vauxhall Vectra) as there's only 2 of us...hope this is big enough to fit the 2 cases in the 'trunk'.

We're flying Sunshine First as our legs are a bit on the long side - 54 inch seat pitch....aaaah rancho relaxo!

cheers

Tash x

lisi
15-10-2003, 23:12
Hi Tashmina
We few to Tampa and had a car through Dollar. We had booked an intermediate saloon as there was just 2 of us. The girl on the desk did try to get us to upgrade and said she would do a special deal at only an extra 9 dollars a day. We decided not to and she thought we would be most uncomfortable and the car would have no power!! It was a Dodge Neon and perfectly adequate for the two of us and very comfortable - plenty of room in the boot too. When we returned the car a spanish guy tried to hit on us for an extra 19 dollars as he said we had bought the car back late. Of course we didn't shell out as we knew we were back in time - checked at the office and of course there was nothing to pay. I think they try it on but stand your ground.
Lisi

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-10-2003, 23:19
I think TCD use Dollar - there was certinly a lot of TCD customers in the line at the Dollar desk in Sanford when we arrived the other week.

The best way with pushy car hire staff is to ask them if they think you did not know what you were booking when you made the original booking - this usually shuts them up. They can make massive commissions from talking unsuspecting tourists (especially first time visitors to Florida) into unnecessary upgrades. Resist them as they are trained to do this when they know you won't be at your best - i.e. after a 9 hour flight.

Even if you cannot fit all your cases in the trunk I would think it better to drive to your villa with the spare cases on your knees or something - it's not as if you are taking the cases everywhere the car is going whilst you are there and thus actually need the extra trunk space for the cases.

craig_emptage
21-01-2004, 16:33
Hi

As there are only two of us hiring an economy car, do you think they would have any objection to folding the back seats down if we can't fit the lugagge in? From what I've heard we stand a pretty good chance of getting a free upgrade anyway.

Craig

blott
21-01-2004, 17:00
The car rental companies have no idea what you do with your car once you collect the keys - all they do is point you to where the car is located. Nothing to stop you folding any unused seats down (provided you're able to physically do this). How you get your cases in your rental vehicle is your problem/perogative.