PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota

melfrank
15-10-2003, 00:38
Can anyone give us some advice re restaurants, supermarkets, things to do (apart from the beach obviously) in Sarasota.

We are going for a week next August after 2 weeks in Orlando.

We have actually rented a 2 bed 'lakehouse' called 'Our House At The Beach'.This is in Siesta Key.

melfrank
19-10-2003, 01:31
Surely someone has an opinion on Sarasota?

blott
19-10-2003, 02:24
Actually, although I've never been there, it seems to have all manner of things to do, like this lot

Circus Sarasota
Crowley Museum and Nature Center
Florida Gulf Coast Rail Road Museum
G. WIZ (Gulfcoast Wonder and Imagination Zone)
Historic Spanish Point
John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
Mote Marine Laboratory
Myakka River State Park
Pelican Man's Bird Sanctuary
Sarasota Classic Car Museum
Sarasota Jungle Gardens
South Florida Museum, Bishop Planetarium and Parker Manatee Aquarium

Sounds like you're going to be busy!

esprit
19-10-2003, 07:57
The Ringling museum ( Circus and Art) plus the Ringling mansion are really worth a visit. You can spend a full day there, cheap too. The Mote Aquarium and the Pelican Sanctuary are a nice half day trip between them. Wouldnt bother with the Jungle Gardens which are not much cop for anyone who has been to Animal Kingdom or Busch!! Nice shops ( galleries, gift, antiques) and restuarants at St Armands Circle. Drive up the keys ( Siesta, Longboat, Lido). Good shopping in Sarasota centre, good outlet mall ( near Bradenton??). Spent a nice three days there once. For a weeks stay, I would say you would need to do some beach also.

melfrank
03-11-2003, 21:45
I don't think we will be doing much sightseeing. We will just be relaxing on the beach but I was hoping for some advice on restaurants.

The Italian Job
04-11-2003, 01:33
Hopefully the home you are staying in will have a book advising on local restaurants etc. I know plenty in the Cape Haze/Englewood/Port Charlotte areas but these are probably further than you wish to travel. If not let me know and I can give you a list [msnsmile]