PDA

View Full Version : Two Weeks At Christmas

mjr600
01-11-2007, 12:30
Hello

My family and I fly with Virgin to Orlando on xmas day to stay (2 weeks)in a villa with a car both obtained via this site. I have a few questions and am grateful for any replies received.

What can we expect on a xmas day flight with Virgin ? xmas lunch or the usual inflight meal ? Are Virgin any good, the flights have cost me a bloomin fortune but xmas day was the cheapest.

Having arrived at 3pm ish where will be able to get some groceries or a meal, are the shops open on Boxing Day to get a food shop in ?

I've had a brief look around the site and Celebration on New Years Eve seems like a nice place to be so we'll tick that box.

We don't want all theme parks and may do one Universal and one Disney Park, we're quite open about which parks and just want the xmas wow factor, which would you visit?

We'd love a day at the beach and a swim in the sea, what would you consider as the perfect spot at xmas ?

Thanks

One last thing, the $ is at an amazing high at the moment, where do people change their money, high street, online or do you all use the credit card ?

christhear
01-11-2007, 12:56
I can answer some of your questions.

All shops will be open Boxing day - its not a hoiday in the US.

Christmas day you will find the odd shop open - mainly 7 -11 or similar. You may also find the odd restaurant open, something like a Dennys.

A lot of regular visitors to Florida have Nationwide credit cards as you do not pay any commission for foreign transactions on this card. You may wish to have some cash with you though incase you use a toll road from the airport - you will need a $20 or smaller.

Paula D-S
01-11-2007, 12:57
You could ask the owners of the villa to leave a welcome pack so you don't have to worry about shopping once arriving. I know many Management Companies will provide shopping of your choice but you will have to pay for this. Most grocery shops will be open as normal on Boxing Day.

As for Christmas Wow you are going to get this in all the parks in Florida and although I've not been myself the Osbourne Christmas Lights at MGM studios look amazing.

Can't give any advice regarding the food on Christmas Day flights but I have flown with Virgin before and the food was just edible.

Lynne S
01-11-2007, 13:37
Hi Michael,

Christmas and New Year are both wonderful times to visit. We went at New Year last year.

Magic Kingdom is really lovely with all the christmas decs up, have a look through the Photo Gallery on the forum and you will see some great christmas photos that will give you some idea of what to expect.

You can also visit The Gaylord Palms Hotel, they have the fabulous ICE display show and also an ice skating rink set up if you have the energy.

We always use our Nationwide card to draw cash out from ATM's and also to pay for any goods we buy, you get the best rate and don't pay any commission. The best thing is all the money you have left (If any) is still in £££ in the account. You can check on-line to see where you are up to and keep an eye on your spending[msnoo]

I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time.

mjr600
02-11-2007, 11:08
Thanks for your replies.

Budefraser
27-01-2008, 01:55
Hi
Would be interested how you got on flying on Christmas day as we are flying Christmas day 08 with Virgin.
Did you find places to open new years day? We are going to park new years eve so could do with a day off after.
Looking forward to hearing how you went on

ukman
09-06-2008, 00:02
Myself and family are flying out two days before xmas, 23rd so we can do a proper shop for xmas, what are is your villa in.

Thanks
Wayne

tfmay
09-06-2008, 20:09
we are going out on the 17th for 2 weeks, hopefully staying at Watersong...... been many times but never at christmas and to top it all we have a new baby to take with us too, she'll be just over 1...can't wait!