PDA

View Full Version : Driving In Florida

Michelle
07-03-2002, 18:45
As stated by Theresa, as prospective guests read this forum would it also be an idea to have a forum where they could get information on driving in Florida, ref the variouse road signs etc.I know it can be very daunting for guests from Uk Europe etc, who have never driven in Florida before.

Edited by - Michelle on 07/03/2002 23:28:18

Edited by - Michelle on 07/03/2002 23:32:32

imported_n/a
08-03-2002, 01:50
Excellent idea - we found it very scary at first and it is usually Grandad who does most of the driving.

Grandad also felt very foolish when he reported a massive leak to the car hire company after leaving the engine running outside the villa. Logical now that we realise it was condensation but this was 15 years ago and we were new to Florida!

I know you dont want to start chat in this section but if you do decide to start a new thread all this sort of info could be useful to new guests.

steph_goodrum
08-03-2002, 11:52
Would it be best to move the posts that have already been made with driving hints under the heading "driving directions" to combine them with this thread?

Babblin Boo

imported_admin
08-03-2002, 15:02
I've created a new Forum 'Driving In Florida' and moved the two related threads there.

John

Jill
11-03-2003, 01:17
In case anyone is interested there is a book you can get in the UK called "Drive USA" by Andrew Vincent ISBN number 1-85458-281-X. My husband bought me the book (perhaps he is trying to tell me something!) It is very informative and overs just about everything you do and do not want to know about driving in the States.

steph_goodrum
11-03-2003, 02:47
You can also visit the official State website for drivers at www.hsmv.state.fl.us and read the drivers handbook online , if there is anything in particular you want to check.

UKAllan
11-03-2003, 16:42
I think I am quite a seasoned driver in Fla, but each time I pick up my hire car I make sure I stay in the inside lane for the first few miles. Always have a large scale map of the area with just main roads and have an idea in your head where N, E, W & S is else you will be in real trouble! Also never drive with an empty tank !!
Once you know where the I4 and 192 are your laughing.

fiona
11-03-2003, 17:11
Please keep in mind Florida Law requirements and restrictions:

Drivers must carry a valid driver's license and proof of mandatory personal injury (liability) insurance coverage.

Front seat passengers of an automobile must wear a seat belt.

Children five and under must be in a federally approved restraint device.

Children through three years of age must be in a separate carrier or manufacturer-integrated child seat.

Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can result in fines or arrest.

Car headlights must be turned on at dusk; in the rain, headlights must be turned on day or night.

Due to Florida's intense heat and high humidity, pets must never be left in cars. Animals are highly susceptible to heat exhaustion, which can be fatal.

sunseeker
04-04-2003, 02:49
Also watch out for the 20mph speed limits outside schools,
A friendly sherrif pointed these out to me the very first morning
of my florida holiday.[:I]

sjd
29-04-2003, 01:37
I am an American. I find that driving in Florida is much easier than other large US cities (Los Angeles, Washington D.C., etc) or Toronto. They have many, well placed signs and you never need a map on your way to the parks. They are so well marked. The problem is often leaving the Parks. Alas, no signs, "this way to your home".

Get a map of Florida before you ever leave home and read and re-read the Kissimmee, Orlando portions. If you can picture the Irlo Bronson Highway (192) as the bottom of the Triange, the 4 as the left side of the triangle and The Turnpike as the right side, that is a great start. And squiggling through the triangle is International Drive.

Good luck

Daniel Ramsey
29-04-2003, 07:41
:D:D:D
Makes me remember the first couple of times after our day in the parks was trying to get back to the right turnoffs! Around and around we went....looks totally different at night. Got totally lost!

So I am suggesting if its your first time at WDW (any part of it) to actually practice your park exiting to the appropiate highway and turnoffs BEFORE you enter the park, leave a little bit early and do a dry run once for each new park. Florida I noticed has afternnon or early evening showers or even occasional thunderstorms, makes it so much harder to find the right exit lane. Make a map with landmarks if needed.