PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Express - Miami International Airport

Kimashem
16-10-2007, 11:27
I have read that there seems to be a few problems with Dollar Express in a few places, especially Sanford. Does any one know if the express que is available at Miami Int Airport as I am about to book the car through yourselves for Dec and it will make all the difference if we can get through quickly.

Lynnes
16-10-2007, 13:46
Yes there is an express desk in the Dollar park outside the airport.

ellie
16-10-2007, 16:10
The Dollar Depot is a short bus ride away from the airport and shuttles can be picked up outside the main terminal doors.

However, we have found that they are not very helpful when it comes to Dollar Express. They may have improved recently but on our last trip they would not allow us to use Dollar Express. However, if you get your Dollar Express number put on your voucher, and if you have a card, then it may be better. Hopefully someone who has had a very recent experience will be able to tell you more.

stabard
16-10-2007, 16:37
Well I will be there in 4 days [clap] so will report back [msncool]

Kimashem
17-10-2007, 11:53
Hi Jan and Lee

Have a great trip and look forward to hearing an update.

kim

Lynnes
17-10-2007, 12:01
We have a card and used it in May with no problem.

Tonish
19-10-2007, 04:22
It's quite a few years since I flew into Miami. What I remember is that the car hire companies (all of them i think, but I may be wrong) are a fair distance from the airport and in an area which I could best describe as "run down".

The directions provided by the hire companies and the roadsigns were hopelessly inadequate and on a number of occasions we found ourselves driving through distinctly unpleasant locations which really gave me the creeps.

Personally, I blame Mrs T's map reading, but she claims it was my inability to listen to her clear instructions. Whatever the reason, we had a few unpleasant moments and my best advice for anyone leaving Miami airport in a hire car is drive fast in a straight line until you hit an interstate and figure it out from there.

I daresay things have changed over the years, but I was never happy until we had found South Beach and were sitting in Wolfie's Diner with a bowlfull of dill pickles and a reuben sandwich, when we could then shout at each other about who was responsible for taking us through the middle of "gangsta" territory.

Katys Grandad
19-10-2007, 05:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
It's quite a few years since I flew into Miami. What I remember is that the car hire companies (all of them i think, but I may be wrong) are a fair distance from the airport and in an area which I could best describe as "run down".

The directions provided by the hire companies and the roadsigns were hopelessly inadequate and on a number of occasions we found ourselves driving through distinctly unpleasant locations which really gave me the creeps.

I daresay things have changed over the years,[/quote]

Not changed much in my experience. Getting back there to drop the car off is not a pleasant experience. Even though I've done it several times I always have problems finding the car rental sites at Miami airport.

I think 'run down' is being quite kind to it. Being 'gunned down' doesn't seem out of the question around there.

Kimashem
19-10-2007, 11:18
Manay thanks to Katys grandad. Luckily we wont be dropping the car off in Miami but in Fort Lauderdale instead. I was just after info on the dollar express que and how it worked, if it existed for pick up. It is many many years since I have been to Miami and from what I remember the car hire pick up point was not good but at lease I wont have to deal with it coming back. Hopefully F lauderdale is a bit better.

kim

ellie
19-10-2007, 16:18
There is still a lot of building work going on around Miami airport, but the depots are not that far away, and shuttles are available right outside the doors of the terminal building, so I would like to reassure people that you do not have to worry about picking up your car.

If you are worried about dropping off the car then simply follow the signs into the main airport and follow the ring road around it where you will find signs to the main depots.

The depots are in an industrialised part near the airport boundary, but we collect cars from here quite often and have never felt afraid or threatened in any way. Unfortunately, many cities have areas which are under development and Miami is no different. However, I think it is rather unfair to hype it up as gangster land! We have been visiting Miami on a regular basis with our children when they were quite young and I can assure you that if you follow the signs, or the directions below, you will not have a problem.

I understand that it is planned to relocate all the car hire depots within one large building alongside the airport, and this area will also have all the transport links within it. This will be a great improvement in the future.

If you want detailed directions on how to find the Florida Turnpike, and from there to Orlando, when you have picked up your car then try:

'How to Get to the Florida Turnpike'
http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/get-to-florida-turnpike.aspx

More information is also in 'Collecting and Returning Your Car to Miami International Airport'
http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/florida-trips/miami-car-hire-tips.aspx

As for it being easier to collect from Fort Lauderdale, well it is in a special building opposite the main terminal at Hollywood International Airport, so it is quite easy. Almost all of the major car hire companies are located within this dedicated car hire facility, and you can walk across to the main terminal after dropping off your car.

Again, more information in the Florida Guide in 'Car Hire at Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport'
http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/florida-trips/car-hire-at-fort-lauderdale-hollywood-international-airport.aspx

Katys Grandad
20-10-2007, 06:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
There is still a lot of building work going on around Miami airport, but the depots are not that far away, and shuttles are available right outside the doors of the terminal building, so I would like to reassure people that you do not have to worry about picking up your car.

If you are worried about dropping off the car then simply follow the signs into the main airport and follow the ring road around it where you will find signs to the main depots.

The depots are in an industrialised part near the airport boundary, but we collect cars from here quite often and have never felt afraid or threatened in any way.

[/quote]

Hi Ellie

It was certainly not my intention to alarm anybody and I think the OP will be fine if he's just collecting from Miami although, even then, if you get lost it's not a great area to be in.

I fly into Miami as often as most on here (I'm there next week) and still dread returning my rental car. Like you, I end up going through the airport and following the courtesy buses and by now am reasonably familiar with it, but first-timers need to keep their wits about them.

On the map it looks simple and not far from the airport but it's all too easy to take a wrong turn getting there and the freeways are very busy and a bit crazy. I wouldn't dream of attempting it at rush hours and certainly not in the dark.

I'm afraid that I have felt very vulnerable around there and with good reason. I won't go into detail because it might not be fair but I'm always relieved to see the return depot. I'll be very happy when they move it.

Tonish
24-10-2007, 03:52
Sorry if I worried anyone with my gangsta comment - we've done it plenty of other times with no problem and there are bound to be many hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers go through year after year without even noticing anything.

But, we have had a couple of unpleasant trips in the dark and if (like us) you're of a nervous disposition I suggest making sure you're travelling in daylight. Our problems came from useless map reading and silly mistakes - we ended up more than once in very, very unpleasant areas and you stick out like a sore thumb in a brand new cadillac or lincoln or whatever driving round and round desperately trying to find the entrance ramp to the main road which is above your head plain as day but seemingly impossible to get onto.

There I go again, just ignore me.

ellie
24-10-2007, 14:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

Our problems came from useless map reading and silly mistakes - we ended up more than once in very, very unpleasant areas and you stick out like a sore thumb in a brand new cadillac or lincoln or whatever driving round and round desperately trying to find the entrance ramp to the main road which is above your head plain as day but seemingly impossible to get onto.[/quote]Well, Tonish, the answer to that is to book a nice plain simple compact as nobody will want to mug you for that! [msnwink]:D

I guess if you drove round some areas of London or many of our capital cities in a 'roller' you would be an open target, and as for parking it, well no doubt you would find it minus its tyres and other bits and pieces on your return![msnscared]

I am available for map reading should you need a PA next time you go! Have not gone wrong yet.....[msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
It was certainly not my intention to alarm anybody and I think the OP will be fine if he's just collecting from Miami although, even then, if you get lost it's not a great area to be in.[/quote]
Well, KG, if you use my directions and follow them to the letter you won't get lost, will you? [msnwink]

stabard
25-10-2007, 05:24
Hi all from sunny florida.
as promised here is the update on dollar express at Miami

There was quite a scrum for the bus to take you out to the dollar car collection lot and yes the area does look a bit rough. There was a dedicated express lane and it only took about 10 minutes ti fill in the forms and pick up the car. They also gave us some very good printed directions to the interstate 95 and we were here in place on the beach in now time.