PDA

View Full Version : Premium or 4x4 SUV?

JaneB
10-10-2007, 01:23
Don't really know which we should go for - we're 2 adults and 2 teenagers, one of whom will probably be 6' tall by the time we go next summer.

Probably flying out with 3 medium wheely bags and back with maybe 1 or 2 more bags, depending on how succesful daughter is at persuading us to spend money....

So - which should we go for? I'm assuming the Premium is usually a large saloon or hatchback so whatever's in the boot is hidden. Is there usually cover for whatever's in the boot of an SUV? I also assume that luggage space wouldn't be a problem in either - is that correct?

Husband drives a Volvo V70 Cross Country so he's used to driving something fairly large, however I drive a Ford Focus. Would I struggle with the SUV?

Started as one question but now it's several - sorry![msnembarrased]

Any advice gratefully received!

PS very impressed with your car hire website - very helpful and easy to use.

berni_richards
10-10-2007, 01:29
we hired 2 premium 'cars' this August and got 2 Pacificas which was ample for us. Bigger than cars but not as big as some SUVs so you should be happy too.

Specific cars are not guaranteed though so you might end up with a chrsyler 300 (from dollar)

We hired 1 from alamo & 1 from dollar

JaneB
10-10-2007, 01:46
Thanks for that Berni.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what's a Chrysler 300? Is there a UK equivalent? My husband might know but he's away on business for the week (Seattle - a loooong way away :() and I want to astonish him with my research and knowledge when he gets home!

Robert5988
10-10-2007, 02:58
A Chrysler 300 is sold in the UK.

It is based on the Mercedes E class - one of the best US made cars to drive in my opinion, if a little 'butch' looking.

Unless you are touring with all your luggage most of the cars from a compact upward are big enough for 4 people IMO.

JaneB
10-10-2007, 03:06
Thanks Robert!

jeansusrentals
10-10-2007, 03:26
Jane, I'd go for the Pacifica everytime- we're just back 2 weeks ago and our oldest son came out for a couple of weeks - he's about 5'10 and the seats were good for him. The Pacifica takes up to 6 passangers if needed. There was only 3 of us going back to the airport (with 3 large cases, 2 small cases and a large roller bag, laptop and hand luggage) but them and us fitted in fine!
Jean

JaneB
10-10-2007, 03:47
Thanks, that's handy to know - it's hard to judge from the car descriptions exactly how much room there is in them.

Our son is currently 13 and 5'8" (same height as both me & his dad). He went up 2 shoe sizes and 2 trouser sizes between July and September and has now grown out of some trousers I bought him about 6 weeks ago. I think he's part runner bean - my brother is 6'7" so I think the bean gene is definitely in the family! [msnsmile]