PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast holiday

chris jones
10-10-2007, 01:14
Hi all
I wonder if any of you can help? We are thinking of going to the Gulf Coast area next May.

We have really enjoyed the last few times that we have visited the Orlando area. However we feel like a change this time.

One of the things we enjoy most in Orlando is the shopping (especially the outlets!!)Are there any on this side of the state?

Where would be a good area to stay that doesnt involve huge driving distances.

Thanks for any help.

Robert5988
10-10-2007, 03:02
There are shopping malls all over Florida - indeed the USA.

You can fly to Tampa or Fort Myers(indirect) on the Gulf Coast. Even Orlando amd Miami do not involve large distances to travel to reach the Gulf coast.

SDJ
10-10-2007, 03:53
You could fly into Tampa and stay in Clearwater Beach, Sarasota or Naples. All with great shopping facilities and lovely beaches. Enjoy your planning.

Sandra

Mo Green
10-10-2007, 08:06
If you stay in the Rotonda Area you can stay in a mainly residential area and 'live the dream'. Only 15 minutes to the beach and 20 minutes to Port Charlotte Mall. It is possible to shop in the morning and spend the afternoon on the beach watching dolphins at sunset without having to travel long distances.

Pookie
10-10-2007, 11:53
I agree anywhere on the Gulf side is not far from
shopping or attractions.
The Rotonda area is old world Florida but is still close to great shopping & by some of the most beautiful beaches in Florida.
There are 2 outlets both about 1 hour away & Port Charlotte Mall is
15 minutes.
Have fun deciding where to go & I do not think you will be disappointed.

Lynne

mollymolly
10-10-2007, 11:53
Mo is right, the Rotonda Area is an ideal location and ticks the right boxes for you. Also if you enjoy outlet shopping then you have a Prime Outlet at Ellenton (north) and a Prime Outlet at Naples (south).

Bernadette

derek birchenough
10-10-2007, 13:19
I agree with all the comments about the gulf coast, its such a contrast to Orlando you can relax on some superb beaches, and still get plenty of retail therapy. May is a great time to go and "Wall to Wall sunshine" is often the weather forecast.

You will have plenty of choice of some great villas[msnsmile2]

becbecs
10-10-2007, 13:29
Longboat Key at Sarasota is a fantastic place for a relaxing vacation, Shopping not sure about as we mainly relaxed.

St Armands Circle was really good though.

Worth a little research

andrewmckay5
10-10-2007, 14:02
Chris,
just be very aware that there a number of arreas on the Gulf Coast that are not zoned for short term rentals. Friends have a villa in sarasota where the minimum rental perion has to be 1 month.
However Rotonda is legally zoned for short term rentals and with a complete bias I can highly recommend the area:DA number of Orlando owners have stayed there when wanting a change from Orlando and i know have loved the area.
andrew

marion
10-10-2007, 14:42
Hi Chris,

As Rotonda is legally zoned for short term rentals I am pleased to say visitors are very much welcomed by the resedence.

Rotonda is within easy reach of exsalant shoping and Florida's famous often deserted white sandy beaches with crystal clear, warm, turquoise waters. The beach enjoyment is truly endless.

You can dine in a different restaurant every night.

Chaufeurse
10-10-2007, 22:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris jones
Hi all
I wonder if any of you can help? We are thinking of going to the Gulf Coast area next May.

We have really enjoyed the last few times that we have visited the Orlando area. However we feel like a change this time.

One of the things we enjoy most in Orlando is the shopping (especially the outlets!!)Are there any on this side of the state?

Where would be a good area to stay that doesnt involve huge driving distances.

Thanks for any help.
[/quote]

Hi Chris,

There is a great Designer Outlet place called Miramar which is about 30 miles away from Cape Coral smack bang on the I-75. It's a great outlet - plenty of shops and nice places to eat. We often like to call in there when we are staying at our place out there - usually when we are heading on back to Cape Coral from Naples or the Everglades.

http://www.miromaroutlets.com/ Voted Southwest Florida's
"BEST FACTORY SHOPPING CENTER OUTLET"
for nine years in a row! according to their website.

I took my Aussie friend there in September and she was in spending heaven!

Christine

andrewmckay5
11-10-2007, 02:44
Christine,
I just hope my wife doesn't see this thread[msnsmile2]

Depending on the time of year a visit to the mall can be followed by some Manatee watching:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_16375.asp

andrew

Chaufeurse
11-10-2007, 03:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
Christine,
I just hope my wife doesn't see this thread[msnsmile2]

Depending on the time of year a visit to the mall can be followed by some Manatee watching:
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_16375.asp

andrew
[/quote]

Oh, that is the outlet from the power station which is on Palm Beach Blvd in North Fort Myers (coming from the Rotunda take junction 141 off the I-75 and then turn left onto Palm Beach - its a couple of mile up there on the right hand side & you need to look carefully for the Manatee Park sign). It is incredible in the winter (yeah, I know, winter in Florida!). The power station, apparently, no longer need to release the warm water into that area but do so to encourage the manatee to still come to the park so the wardens can monitor who is and who isn't there each year and who has new babies (heard some horror stories about boat damage that kills these amazing creatures from the wardens). They are wonderful to watch and stay there for weeks until the water warms up again in the Gulf. Ray and I usually go there a couple of times during our winter Florida trip. I also saw a manatee swimming out of the Nocomis beach entrance in May of this year. It was only about 5 feet away, what a sight to see but it made my heart skip a beat when I saw the boats in stealth mode coming back in to avoid a bad storm that was due to break any minute. I wanted to jump up and down and point to slow them down but just kept my fingers crossed instead. With it being so close to the I-75 it is really worth stopping off to watch them for a while. Then, as you say, you can nip back onto the I-75 South and drive a little way down the road to Miramar (how exciting that will be for you!). That place you definitely can't miss on the I-75!

There is also a big cat sanctuary which is a great place to visit http://www.octagonwildlife.org/octagon.asp?page=news - they survive on donations made from the visiting public. They have all kinds of big cats, wolves, bears and other wildlife - one of the tigers came from a Miami drug dealer who 'went down' and consequently the tiger had to be rehomed. Apparently it had its own bedroom, swimming pool etc when it was in his home. It is the kind of place I recommend because they desperately try to keep it running. It is at Horseshoe Rd off the CR31, that runs down from Arcadia, but there are directions on the website. Just ensure you wear trainers because we got bitten to bits by the blasted fire ants when we last went there.

Also Andrew if you like to go boating I know a German chap who rents out boats for incredibly reasonable prices - between $150 to $200 - that is excellent as the cheapest in Cape Coral is around $250 and up. We always get a boat from him and I can let you have his website and email addy if you fancy renting a boat and going out into the Gulf - round Sanibel etc it is truly lovely. You can anchor off Sanibel or go beyond Blind Pass to Captiva - only reachable by boat - to some incredibly unspoilt beaches. Anchor up and have lunch on the beach, do a bit of fishing etc. It's a great day.

Chris

Ruth
11-10-2007, 04:15
We love staying at Cape Haze, Port Charlotte or Rotonda when we go to the Gulf coast. I can thouroughly recommend Port Charlotte for shopping[clap][clap]