PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth

steph_goodrum
07-03-2002, 11:45
You'll probably find it best to get a fastpass for this one as the queues(lines) get really long.
Inside the huge white globe that is symbolic of Epcot, this ride takes you through the story of communication, fairly gentle speed, so most people can handle it.
When you come off there are lots of interactive things for the kids (and adults) to play with, some of it seems a little dated now, but it's still worth a ride.

Babblin Boo

imported_n/a
08-03-2002, 01:56
Steph we keep meaning to go on this, would you recommend it for a 4 year old?

Ruth
08-03-2002, 02:30
In my opinion most 4 year olds would love it, as long as they are not too afraid of the dark.

Ruth

esprit
08-03-2002, 02:45
One tip is to go on it the late in the day rather than the early unless you get a fastpass. Most people dash for it as they walk through the gates so the queues build up very quickly and it is not that fast loading. I like the bit where you come down backwards.

Julie Carty

steph_goodrum
08-03-2002, 11:54
As Ruth said, 4 year olds would probably be fine, unless they really hate the dark, it's not pitch black and you have the lights from the exhibits but some may not like it.

Babblin Boo

blott
22-09-2002, 21:33
Spaceship Earth is our favourite ride at Epcot and is usally packed with long queues/lines during the day. As Julie says, if you leave your ride until you're on the way out of the park (from about 4.30 pm onwards), you'll find it's practically empty. We managed to go on it twice in succession when we did this with no waiting at all!

Our best bit is at the top where your seat turns around and you find all the skies with twinkling stars laid out before you.

Blott

caroline
22-09-2002, 22:04
This would be fine for very young children, it doesn't go fast and it's very "soothing" no scary bits :)

Caroline

imported_n/a
23-09-2002, 01:34
My 5yr old is a bit of a girly and didn't like this at all but that was because of the dark as you say - didn't like Tough to be a Bug or Muppet 3D and we won't even mention the Little Mermaid!!! Just about managed "it's a small world" but it was close.

mikewj
21-10-2002, 22:29
I've never understood why this ride is popular, the animatronics are quite good, but its just too educational.

But then I think that EPCOT as a whole tries to teach too much.

It was the place I wanted to go to most when I was a kid, but now I'm an adult I just find most of it a bit boring !

But its certainly a nice easy ride for kids, although I have known some who take offence at the disney animatronic characters.....maybe there's something a little bit creepy about them ?!

SunLover
07-04-2003, 23:43
Spaceship Earth inside the Geosphere at Epcot is fun, but a little dated now. I can't tell you how many times I have ben stuck in there when the ride came to an unexpected halt ! It's quite fun for the first few minutes as you get the chance to have a good nose around, but after 15 minutes, you want to do physical harm to someone ! Mainly to the person operating the announcement about "staying in your seat until the ride starts again" ! That said, once you get fully inside the geosphere, you realise what an awesome construction it is, although the return journey backwards is a little painful on the back of the neck, as I'm quite tall.

One amusing incident I witnessed when leaving Epcot one night was a senior member of the cleaning crew talking to a newbie cleaner. As I walked past, he casually handed this petite girl a rag and some spray cleaner, and pointing up at the geosphere he said to her "Okay, well you get started on that, and if you need a ladder, come and find me !" The poor girl's face was a picture. Made me smile all the way home.

Chris [8D]

tinkerbell
08-04-2003, 01:22
I love Spaceship Earth, it's such a relaxing way to end your day! It's lovely to lay back in the air conditioning, and just relax, at least the kids etc, can not disturb you for a while!!!

blott
08-04-2003, 02:43
quote:I can't tell you how many times I have ben stuck in there when the ride came to an unexpected halt ! It's quite fun for the first few minutes as you get the chance to have a good nose around, but after 15 minutes, you want to do physical harm to someone ! Mainly to the person operating the announcement about "staying in your seat until the ride starts again" !

Chris, I think you'll find that they stop the ride so that wheelchair users can transfer onto it - at least, that's what happened with my father. It took a bit of time to get him out of his wheelchair and safely onto the ride. Having managed to get him onto it, it was his favourite ride in the whole of Florida!

esprit
08-04-2003, 02:53
There are all sorts of rumours rife on the unofficial Disney forums that this is the next ride to get a major revamp and that the inside will be stripped out and replaced with something less well dated in time for Epcots 25th anniversary in 2007. A ride along the lines of the Storm Rider ride in Disneyland Tokyo, which is a very technologically advanced simulator, is the most favoured option. No idea of whether there is any truth in the rumours, but they were right about the Forbidden Mountain ride being built in Animal Kingdom!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-04-2003, 05:16
Both our 4 year old and 2 year old went on Spaceship Earth today and loved it. We had to do a repeat ride (they would have gone on it several more times if we had let them).

No queues at all - walked straight onto the ride both times.

SunLover
13-04-2003, 07:55
Blott - Hadn't considered the wheelchair aspect, which would make sense, although every time I've been stuck, Disney cast members have eventually appeared with torches, and wander around whispering and pointing into the gloom under the tracks !

If the delay is to accomodate wheelchair guests, then fair enough. Personally, I think the ride is just a bit....well kna****** !!!

Chris [8D]