PDA

View Full Version : Under 21 Driving in Florida...

Campbell
07-10-2007, 01:33
Hey, Just thought i'd put up a post, with regards to driving in Florida, when under 21! I'm 19, got back from Florida 3 weeks ago, and loved it! I booked car rental through this website, and Roger sorted it all out for me (thanks Roger!) It was through USave, and they were great. They Picked me and my friend up from the Airport, and took us to the USave Lot, which was about a 10 Min Ride, very chatty driver, who told us a few tips with driving, seen as ive never driven out there! Got there, they had the car ready, all I had to do was sign and pay the Under 21 Surcharge! I got a Tan/Rust colour Dodge Caliber, which I thought was really good, seen as I picked the 'Economy' package! It was brand new, and a real comfortable drive!
Left the car lot, and drove to the villa, in Kissimmee! I found it so easy driving over there, not at all daunting! Although a few times I did drive into the wrong side of an enterance, thinking I was still in the UK! lol! Other than that, had day trips out, ventured as far as Cocoa Beach, and Altimonte! But everything you need is so close, and all off the I4 or the 192! I would recommend driving for under 21 year olds in Florida!

Clare R
07-10-2007, 02:07
Glad you enjoyed the experience. Even for those of us who drive in Florida regularly each year it can still trip you up when you drive round a parking lot or in and out of gas stations to keep to the right.

Hope you can repeat the experience when you are 20!!

Thank you for the 'Thank You' to Roger I am sure he appreciated it.

Kazzie
07-10-2007, 02:18
Great news Chris and good of you to let everyone know. Not sure if I will let my 20 year old Son know though[msnwink] or he will be wanting to go to our villa with his mates[msnscared]

Karen

jillizzy
07-10-2007, 03:08
That's good to hear - my son is driving for the first time next month, although I'll be there too.

Me and my husband are looking forward to having our own chauffeur even if it's us that are paying the extra insurance it'll be cheaper than a taxi!

Jill

ellie
07-10-2007, 03:56
www.UScarhire.co.uk comes up trumps again!

Glad you had a great time, Campbell. Driving is brilliant in the US though, isn't it?[8D]

Campbell
07-10-2007, 04:01
Yeah Ellie, driving in the US is brilliant! I really want to move out there now, but I think too much of a good thing might ruin the 'magic' as it were?! lol! Kazzie, thats exactly what my mum said, so I was only allowed to take one friend to our villa! 2 weeks is never enough though is it?!

roger
07-10-2007, 05:15
I'm glad it all went well, and thank you for the feedback.

Our daughter, Charlotte (she was 13 in April) keeps reminding us she can legally drive here in 18 months time! Scary thought.

I checked with our insurance, and she will be insured at no extra cost at the age of 15 on my convertible and Carolyn's 7 seater. Even scarier if she discovers that [msncry]

chrizzy100
07-10-2007, 08:41
I don't know if FL is like MA but all kids are covered to drive under their parents Ins till they past their test...then it can get a bit costly...my kids have always paid for and had their own Ins...but they still have to be on our Ins too ...

roger
07-10-2007, 18:07
Yes, thats exactly the same in Florida. They are free to drive until they pass their test, then they have to pay. Sounds a bit backwards to me!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I don't know if FL is like MA but all kids are covered to drive under their parents Ins till they past their test...then it can get a bit costly...my kids have always paid for and had their own Ins...but they still have to be on our Ins too ...
[/quote]

CarolAnn
07-10-2007, 18:21
Your own children driving sounds scary, especially if it gets moved forward Roger[msnwink] I do wander if our daughter could learn to drive on private land here, and then take a test in the USA when she is 16 (next Sept), I know she would love it...not sure I would mind you[msneek]

roger
07-10-2007, 18:40
I'm not sure that would work unless you have your own car in the USA, as the youngest age to drive a hire car is 19. From what I can gather, she would also need to have held her provisional Florida license for a year before taking her test.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
Your own children driving sounds scary, especially if it gets moved forward Roger[msnwink] I do wander if our daughter could learn to drive on private land here, and then take a test in the USA when she is 16 (next Sept), I know she would love it...not sure I would mind you[msneek]
[/quote]

sco77harris
23-05-2009, 05:27
hi there guys i am 20 have been a uk driver for 3 years, will it be possible to get car hire anywhere in the usa or am i too young?

thanks for any help

steph_goodrum
23-05-2009, 12:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
Yes, thats exactly the same in Florida. They are free to drive until they pass their test, then they have to pay. Sounds a bit backwards to me!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]
[/quote]

So has Charlotte started driving yet Roger? The thing aobut the insurance is the reason they don'y cost as much before they pass their test is that until they do they will always be accompanied when driving so an extra pair of eyes to look out for hazards. Once they pass their test and can drive alone then there is potentially more risk of them not seeing or avoiding an accident till they get some experience.

Regarding the question there were some changes to the hire packages but when Roger is around he wil be able to advise the best way to go about it, short answer is I'm sure you can if you've had your license 3 years but as with everything there will probably be an extra cost to it.