PDA

View Full Version : Best for Petite ?

hidesmith
10-10-2003, 00:24
My Wife and Son and I are visiting Orlando for just over 2 weeks next Easter (along with a week in New York). We are planning on bringing a couple of empty suitcases and buying a lot of clothes (especially if the exchange rate remains at the current level!).

My wife insists that she will not find anything to fit her. She is 4'11' and around a UK size 12-14. Anyone got any good suggestions, especially at the 'discount' end of the market?

Thanks

Keith

wilfy
10-10-2003, 00:32
Keith,
my wife swears by (or should that be me swearing [:p] ?)
Ross dress for less. Either at Osceola Mall, on the 192
or 1 block before Belz at the top end of international drive.

Cheers,
Wilf

blott
10-10-2003, 03:01
You'll find most large stores have a petites section (although this is sometimes described as 'junior miss' in some stores) and your wife should be looking for sizes 10 - 12 if she's a 12 - 14 in the UK (US sizes are one below UK sizes).

As for particular stores, it depends what your wife is looking for. For T-shirts, shorts, very casual gear, etc then you could do no worse than Wal-Mart, Beall's Outlet Mall (opposite Siesta Lago on the 192) and, as mentioned above, Ross Dress for Less at Osceola Square Mall.

Also look out for Dress Barn in various locations, Van Heusen (at Beall's Outlet Mall) but these are slightly pricier.

For more upmarket clothes, then try J C Penney (Florida Mall) which has a huge range of clothes as well as lots of other goodies to fill your spare suitcases!

fiona
10-10-2003, 03:59
I don't think she'll have any problems. Many of the stores have a petite range, and stores such as gap start at size 1 for jeans! And size 4 or 6 for skirts etc. In other places they are 6 upwards.

My sister is 5'3 and a small size 8 (UK size) and had no trouble in finding clothes.

lisag
10-10-2003, 22:36
Now the clothing thing I can't get my head around!! I always thought it was one size down, Fiona like your sister I'm 5'3 and a size 8 so therefore should be a US size 6 or so I thought. But I bought a load of clothes from Banana Republic, Gap, Guess etc and I have to buy between a US size 2 or 4 so I thought it was 2 sizes down.

Confoosed!!

blott
10-10-2003, 22:54
Be confoosed no more... http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/traveltools/sizing.shtml

Tashmina
11-10-2003, 02:28
Ok Folks

Can we go to the other end of the spectrum?

I'm quite a tall chick with a 35" inside leg...can anyone give me some tips on where I can buy tall but not frumpy clothes when I hit Orlando?

Cheers

Tash x

blott
11-10-2003, 03:25
There's Land's End tall at Sears, check out J C Penney tall online at http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/SpecialtySiteD.aspx?deptid=597&catid=3515&cattyp=SIZ&cat=tall+sizes&dep=WOMEN%27S&pcatid=&pcat=&shopby=3515&refpage=SpecialtySite.asp&ttyp=D

Although lots of the stores have petite sections, I don't remember many having tall sections.

fiona
11-10-2003, 04:34
I always have to buy extra long trousers here - or from Long Tall Sally and I am only 5'8".

In USA I find trousers from New York New York at the Florida Mall - extra long are the business! I can actually wear heels with them. Gap usually have some extra long as well - try the gap outlet at Lake Buena Vista outlet.

winci
07-04-2005, 22:22
Hey everyone!
my name is winci and i am new to this Orlando Villas forum!
I am in my final year at MMU studying a BA (Hons)clothing design & technology. I am also in the middle of writing a dissertation on 'the availability of petite sizing market in the uk'.
Would anyone know any sites or journals that would have information on the petite market sector in the UK and also the standard height or measurements... I'm finding difficulty with searching UK information based on the subject as I have mainly come across American articles which their sizes are completely different.
I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out with any related info on the petite market size in the UK!
Thanks! [msnsmile2]
Winci!

gromit
08-04-2005, 01:25
Most of the stores have a petite range, she will have great fun shopping. I would suggest trying on clothes though, as the US sizes are meant to be a size down from the UK but I find I have to go 2 sizes down in most places!!! Not complaning though[msnwink]

spg
27-11-2005, 02:52
The Black & White shop at the Florida Mall now do a short length for "the petite lady" plus they start at a size 0. I just love this shop and the service is great. Can never just pop in though it usually takes hours !!