PDA

View Full Version : Extra Charges with Alamo

blossom
30-09-2007, 23:13
We have just returned from Orlando, having booked a car through this site from Alamo. We have always hired from Dollar, but as Alamo was slightly cheaper, thought we would go with them. When we picked the car up, we were subjected to a lot of pressure to pay an extra $10 per day for breakdown, roadside assistance and Tyre repairs. The sales assistant said that this used to be included in the Gold package (which we had), but wasn't anymore. We declined to pay the extra $10 per day, so we had to sign a form agreeing to pay ourselves, should the need arise.
We did actually have a slow puncture, which was highlighted on the car dashboard before we arrived at the villa (only half an hours journey from airport, so must have already been punctured!)But couldn't take it back as we'd signed this blinking form!!! However, we just topped it up several times during the holiday, whenever the light went on the dash!
The reason I have posted this, is to alert others who have paid for Gold insurance, and think that they have nothing extra to pay when picking up their car to be aware that any problems with tyres are not included with Alamo
kate

Fourdents
30-09-2007, 23:41
I think Roger will be interested to hear this.

I have known some pressure tactics from some of the staff on the car hire desks but usually with car hire from this site there should be no extra charges.

Hopefully Roger will update us [msnsmile]

Liesel
01-10-2007, 00:06
We got the same deal from Alamo earlier this month - also we tried 3 different SUVs before we found one that didn't have a huge chip in its windscreen, so make sure you check carefully, especially if you don't take out roadside assistance [msnwink]

Liesel

roger
01-10-2007, 01:15
Yes, this happens more and more with all the companies nowadays. That is the reason on our vouchers we state that the enhanced road side assisance is optional and you are not required to take it.

We also highlight this here on our FAQ http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/faq-inclusions.aspx and here on our terms and conditions: http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/Terms.aspx

We really dont like the fact the rental companies try to sell you this extra road-side coverage (when emergency accident and break-down is already included in our rates) as it makes us look bad. We have been assured by Dollar and Alamo that they are taking steps to educate their staff not to try to over-sell this product to our customers.

wilfy
01-10-2007, 02:02
When we picked up our car in Denver last week (dollar), no mention about roadside assistance package, no hard sell, just a friendly request that if we intended to off-roading up the mountains perhaps our selected car would not be appropriate.[msnsmile]

Tracey K
01-10-2007, 02:49
We had a similar thing during the summer, declined the roadside assistance and then a few days later found that the car had a slow puncture. All we did was take the car to one of the Alamo offices where the staff were really helpful and swapped the car for us, no problem at all.

Cruella DeVilla
01-10-2007, 16:44
Also have an Almo hire a the mo and the roadside assistance is what they pushed when I picked it up and yes you have to sign to say you don't want it. It's just a sales pitch and just stick to your guns and say no thank you if you don't require it.

roger
01-10-2007, 17:11
Don't forget, by declining this optional 'enhanced' road-side assistance you do still have fee breakdown cover and cover in the case of an accident as this is covered in our rates.

Lesley S
01-10-2007, 19:01
That isn't what they told us, when we picked our car up.

orchidvilla
01-10-2007, 20:09
Do what i did and complained to the CEO of Alamo which is owned by Vanguard

lobeckw@vanguardcar.com

Maybe more direct complaints he gets the chance he might listen

Malcolm

Lesley S
01-10-2007, 20:14
Thanks Malcolm, will do.

blossom
02-10-2007, 02:32
Its reassuring to know that free breakdown cover is still included Roger, as I was worried that we weren't covered. The last thing you need after a long tiring flight is a high pressured sales pitch!
kate

wilfy
05-11-2007, 20:20
We picked up midsize from Alamo last night when we arrived, we got a little bit of hard sell re personal accident cover and breakdown cover. I said that we have personal accident cover with our travel insurance and i decline the breakdown cover and he accepted this.

However, one difference we did find between Dollar who we normally use and Alamo, is the way s[bad language filtered out]es and dings are reported. With Dollar you get a little sheet and walk round the car and then hand it over to the security check desk when we leave. With alamo there was no sheet, so we just told the security check the problems we found and they noted it on our rental agreement. (They only had 1 hatch back type midsize when we want to make our selection and it had part of the body trim hanging down at the front.)

mdj101
09-12-2007, 05:37
On my last trip (and first) to disney we hired a car through alamo, didnt get any hard sell at all. On our day out to Busch Gardens we got a blow out on the freeway, put the spare on and called alamo, the asked s if we could get the car to tampa airport, we did and they swapped the car, the didnt have the same size we had so got upgraded. There were no additional charges or anything.

Is this the same if this type of thing happens wih budget who im thinking of booking with for next year (throught this site)

roger
09-12-2007, 07:16
With all the companies, if yuo get a flat you will have to change it youself or pay for road side assistance (including Alamo). But if you then get your self to the depot, as you did, then they will exchange the car rather than expect you to drive round with no spare.

If you want to be covered so you can call someone out to change the tire for you, then you will need to take the enhanced road side assistance (with all the suppliers).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mdj101
On my last trip (and first) to disney we hired a car through alamo, didnt get any hard sell at all. On our day out to Busch Gardens we got a blow out on the freeway, put the spare on and called alamo, the asked s if we could get the car to tampa airport, we did and they swapped the car, the didnt have the same size we had so got upgraded. There were no additional charges or anything.

Is this the same if this type of thing happens wih budget who im thinking of booking with for next year (throught this site)
[/quote]

chrizzy100
09-12-2007, 08:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wilfy
We picked up midsize from Alamo last night when we arrived, we got a little bit of hard sell re personal accident cover and breakdown cover. I said that we have personal accident cover with our travel insurance and i decline the breakdown cover and he accepted this.

However, one difference we did find between Dollar who we normally use and Alamo, is the way s[bad language filtered out]es and dings are reported. With Dollar you get a little sheet and walk round the car and then hand it over to the security check desk when we leave. With alamo there was no sheet, so we just told the security check the problems we found and they noted it on our rental agreement. (They only had 1 hatch back type midsize when we want to make our selection and it had part of the body trim hanging down at the front.)
[/quote]

I've never had a problem with taking a lightly damaged car from Alamo..