PDA

View Full Version : present shopping on holiday

mizzy
24-09-2007, 02:25
is it

mizzy
24-09-2007, 02:31
pressie shopping is something i feel obliged to do and always gets me frustrated towards the end of the holiday

i've usually not found anything to buy or i've started to worry about the gifts i have bought

i love shoping but not good when it comes to choosing gifts

E. Cosgrove
24-09-2007, 03:01
We buy clothes for the kids, sometimes something specific that they have asked us to try and get, but other than that we don't do any present buying.

Cruella DeVilla
24-09-2007, 03:20
We don't really buy pressies anymore Marie as we are away too often, saying that I will this trip as my folks are just back form Turkey with lots of knick knacks for me (My main 40th birthday present from my folks was presented to me tonight also as being the mare I am no one new what to buy at the time so I opted for gold from Turkey as it is really nice and 14kt too).

Overall I never find shopping a chore especially in Florida and on more than one occasion each trip I fill the boot, back seat,passenger seat and floor too. I shall do my Christmas shopping next week and looking forward to it. I do go to local neighboorhoods rather than the norm mind you as I think you can sniff out more bargains!

I would say I am a true shopaholic not just something I enjoy but an addicition and I hate shopping with anyone one else whether it be girlfriends, Mum and especially Mr CDV.[:I]

Paula D-S
24-09-2007, 10:05
I love shopping and usually get a few Disney items to put away for Christmas for the girls.[xmas2]

24-09-2007, 10:13
We don't really buy pressents unless one of the children are not with us and we see something we know they would really like[msnsmile2]

If its a chore then in my view you should stop doing it, your holiday is a time for you[msnwink]

another
24-09-2007, 12:02
I love present shopping - not just on holiday but anytime!![msnsmile]

heathercobbett
24-09-2007, 12:04
We take our children and their partners food back; that is always very well received.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-09-2007, 12:08
I'm over in Florida for a few days starting tomorrow and the children have said they are looking forward to their presents. I personally find it a pain as I'll have to find time to go to Downtown Disney when I've got more than enough to do on a short trip.

Last time I had to buy Freya a princess dress and all the shop assistants were joking that it was really for me [msnembarrased].

dawn
24-09-2007, 13:00
I don't really have anyone we need to buy presents for. The children always like to get some little presents for their friends (tat!), and they love looking at keyrings, pens etc.

julieanne
24-09-2007, 13:11
I LOVE shopping - but don't do presents!!! I keep it all to myself [msnwink]

CarolAnn
24-09-2007, 13:28
I am doing less and less shopping these days, apart from the villa. Though my daughter is making up for it these days :)

orlandochris
24-09-2007, 13:28
I love it - especially buying presents for my 4 year old niece.

Susan J
24-09-2007, 14:38
I like present shopping, but with souveneirs for people -well Ihave been coming here for 23 years - and its hard to buy -and we have a list we HAVE to bring back for :-
My Mum and Dad - no problem, I can always find something, and they look after our Chinchillas for us, so I like to encourage my Son to look for something as a thank you.
OUr Foreman and wife and 6 staff -MAJOR headache
A couple of close friends who often come with us, and their 2 grandsons -ugh -I want to get some thing nice, but they have seen it all.
I am lucky, that the last of my list was a cousins [who we are close to] two young sons -age 5 and 8. They went to Disney for the first time this year -and for YEARS I have made special trips to Downtown Disney or somewhere, to bring back the latest toys requested, or baseball tops or whatever - so they fetched my son his present -a GOB STOPPER -a mickey one with Mickey ears on it $2.95. Thats two bags of sweets on the next trip -has helped me greatly :D

However, this year, I went to the Disney shop in the UK before my Hols, and managed to pick up a couple of knick knacks for the staff- Disney Mugs and things, to save me hauling them back. ONe year we asked Forman what he wanted -took us two and a half weeks to locate this certain baseball top or whatever it was - never again :D

I like to just come across something and think -oh so and so would love that, I'll get it for them -not every damn trip :(

It is so time consuming!! However having said that, given time -in general, I love to get presents for people and spend far too much time looking for them.

Tom n Bex
19-10-2007, 14:37
I love wandering round the shops on a day off from the parks, although my girlfriend does visit far to many shoe shops :D

I will be doing the majority of my christmas shopping when I go out soon.

ShirleyD
19-10-2007, 15:40
Not something I do,though the kids occasionally get something for their friends......now if you were talking about Christmas shopping, then that would be a different story [msnwink]

floridageoff
19-10-2007, 16:01
We don't buy presents as such, but before we leave home we are usually presented with a list of shopping (trainers, make-up or just anything that is cheaper in Florida) for our daughters if they are not coming with us![msneek]

ellie
19-10-2007, 22:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Last time I had to buy Freya a princess dress and all the shop assistants were joking that it was really for me [msnembarrased].
[/quote]

Was that before or after you asked if you could try it on, John? [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
19-10-2007, 22:37
Never thought i'd say it but I am shopped out this trip. 4 shopping trips with the car full to bursting each trip has just about finished me off. I had to phone the fraud folks at Bank of America to let them know it was me spending and not someone who had stolen my cards and gone on a spree[:I]

chrizzy100
19-10-2007, 22:46
I don't like shopping unless it stuff for under $10 shopping...me and my friends do lunch and bargining shopping once a week...
I buy gift everytime I go for my Grandson and the daughter of one of my husbands friends..I could not go now without buying both a little something...

LiesaAnna
19-10-2007, 22:59
we love pressie shopping, Lauren for her school friends, and crikey theres enough of them, only pens, big lolloipops, we get the little uns toys as theyre so cheap over there, and perfumes/smellies for the big uns:D and with 6 children and 6 grandchildren and another 2 on the way next spring so we do have some fun

mizzy
20-10-2007, 02:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Never thought i'd say it but I am shopped out this trip. 4 shopping trips with the car full to bursting each trip has just about finished me off. I had to phone the fraud folks at Bank of America to let them know it was me spending and not someone who had stolen my cards and gone on a spree[:I]
[/quote]

i do this before i leave home :D:D:D i'm normally so frugal i worry that they'll think all this sudden spending is extremely unusual and stop my card[msnembarrased]

Paula D-S
20-10-2007, 11:35
When my sister goes to Florida she normally brings us back a Disney Christmas Tree decoration.[xmas2]

Nikki D
20-10-2007, 11:35
Every year before I go to Florida I say "I'm not buying presents" and every year I spend far to much. Then come home and say next year I'm not buying presents. I normally buy them early on in the holiday so my last few days are not spent running round. Love shopping in my first week.

mizzy
20-10-2007, 12:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nikki D
Every year before I go to Florida I say "I'm not buying presents" and every year I spend far to much. Then come home and say next year I'm not buying presents. I normally buy them early on in the holiday so my last few days are not spent running round. Love shopping in my first week.[/quote]

i think that's where i went wrong Nikki, i told myself that i had plenty of time to buy presents and because i didn't really know what to buy it ended up with me leaving it too late, running about on the last night had me super stressed

it's a great idea about the christmas tree decoration that you buy Paula, i may steal that one and that would be my pressie shopping organised [msnwink]

millie
20-10-2007, 16:34
I love shopping for pressies! We don't buy for many people - v small family - but I do love spotting things that I know people will love.
L

Newhomebuyer
20-10-2007, 19:09
Like Glenda I have a list from family and friends of things they want me to bring back for them. I often pressie shop but not for a return from holiday gift . I get occassions presents while I am there because there is so much choice and the price is usually right. This is fun because I don't feel under pressure I just buy the gift if I see something I like which fits an up coming occassion. It is often Christmas gifts.

Paula D-S
20-10-2007, 19:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy

it's a great idea about the christmas tree decoration that you buy Paula, i may steal that one and that would be my pressie shopping organised [msnwink]
[/quote]

I haven't yet done this Marie it's Nicola who brings me and my other sister the Christmas tree decs. I think it is something we will all do in the future though.

floridageoff
20-10-2007, 20:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
When my sister goes to Florida she normally brings us back a Disney Christmas Tree decoration.[xmas2]
[/quote]We have been visiting Florida since 1990 and we buy a Disney Christmas decoration every year, sometimes even 3 or 4 a visit. Our tree is now so full of Disney decorations we don't really have room for anymore but I still cannot resist. Perhaps we will have to buy a bigger tree this year!

LiesaAnna
21-10-2007, 01:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nikki D
Every year before I go to Florida I say "I'm not buying presents" and every year I spend far to much. Then come home and say next year I'm not buying presents. I normally buy them early on in the holiday so my last few days are not spent running round. Love shopping in my first week.
[/quote]

same here Nikki!!!:D

becbecs
22-10-2007, 14:09
Tend to drop Jane and Emma off at Millenia Mall while me and Rebecca head to one of the parks for the day. Then meet up for tea at the Cheesecake Factory.

Lyn
15-09-2008, 02:49
When at home I like shopping (not food shopping) but when in the states I LOVE shopping for anything, usually have a list from family and friends and I love scra?booking so love looking for new things, could shop for most of the vacation.
? missed out the p so it would't get deleted[msnembarrased]

taylona
15-09-2008, 23:59
I love shopping - especially in Florida looking for different things or items that are more expensive if bought here - just as well with two teenage daughters. We buy holiday pressies for our parents - something small, perhaps a bit more if one has taken us to/from the airport. In August I bought 80% of my Christmas presents, a few pre-Christmas birthday presents and my daughter's prom dress for next June [msnsmile]

Magical Dreams
16-10-2008, 17:08
We used to love shopping for gifts.

But we don't do it every trip now. After a while it becomes a chore and then its not something I like to do!

I prefer to shop for the kids and ourselves.

Some people just don't appreciate gifts, especially the "posh" relations who look at gifts as tat.
So I'd rather not give them a second thought!![msncool]

dsv77
18-10-2008, 20:54
we have been so many times now [15] so I think our small family have seen every Disney item there is. but on saying that we were out there in the last two weeks , and i picked up a couple of DKNY watches for my sisters and several Guess T.shirts for my neices but they will be kept for Xmas.

tony2000
02-09-2010, 10:24
We shop for jeans and trainers and small gifts for the boys school friends.
Also (nearly forgot)[msnembarrased],as its Tony's 50th birthday while we are away in Sunny Florida next week i better check out where the Dollar Tree shop is !![msnsmile2]
Tracy

Jill
02-09-2010, 14:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tony2000
We shop for jeans and trainers and small gifts for the boys school friends.
Also (nearly forgot)[msnembarrased],as its Tony's 50th birthday while we are away in Sunny Florida next week i better check out where the Dollar Tree shop is !![msnsmile2]
Tracy
[/quote]

Nothing like 'pushing the boat out' and going for top end present for a special birthday[msnsmile2]

VIOLET
02-09-2010, 15:02
Kids are grown up now so Disney tit bits are not so apealing.... they now want Abercrombie, Hollister etc as they are so much cheaper than home.... so we get a list..... costs us a fortune....[msnsad][msnscared]