PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel on the Beach

lisi
22-09-2007, 16:40
Can hardly wait - am flying on 10 October to MCO but later spending 3 days in Sanibel in a beachfront bungalow. From what you all tell me am in for a blissful 3 days! It looks simply great and I am hoping there will be tons of wildlife for me to see, and great places to eat and I hope to go on a boat trip to see the islands from the sea. Anyone any recommendations?

Lisi

Katys Grandad
22-09-2007, 17:01
Well, my first recommendation would be to stay for more than 3 days![msnwink]

It's a while since I took one but there are some great boat trips from South Seas Plantation. The manattees swim up to the boat to drink from the water hoses and you're more or less guaranteed to see dolphins out in the Gulf. Out and about you'll see lots of native wildlife. A few years ago a Florida Panther walked in front of a condo I was staying in although that was probably a once in a lifetime experience.

You won't find the usual US chain restaurants on either Sanibel or Captiva (now that is bliss!) although some of the food places can be a bit pricey. Get yourself a restaurant guide from the Chamber of Commerce on the way onto the island. It'll have the menus from everywhere on there. http://www.cuisine-scene.com/

Incidentally, the new causeway across opened a few weeks ago so you'll be 1 of the first to see it. I'm hoping to be there next week but probably coming back before you arrive.

You'll love it.

lisi
22-09-2007, 17:05
I was hoping you would reply, as I know you are always at Sanibel. I too wish it was longer but perhaps I can manage longer next year albeit I will be on my own so I guess it might be difficult. Where is South Seas Plantation - I guess I will find it on the map. We are staying at Gulf Breeze Cottages in Shell Basket Lane so I do hope the accommodation lives up to its reputation. O well time will tell. Can;t wait

Lisi

Katys Grandad
22-09-2007, 18:40
South Seas is a resort at the far end of Captiva. Keep travelling west from Sanibel and it's the last place before you fall into the Gulf.:D

lisi
22-09-2007, 20:29
Thanks. That's great and I will check it out

Lisi

mfairhurst
22-09-2007, 20:58
We stayed in SARASOTA and visited Sanibel from there also other places,The keys Is lovely and some beaches that are a paradise as my brother-in -law calls it white sand and some good reataurants and shops .
We also like TREASURE ISLAND and but thats a beach holiday different to the SPANISH beaches so try [msnsmile2]
We stayed at POMPANO this time and that was exellent as well cleaner than FORT LAUDERDALE but near for a day the reataurant SEA WATCH is a must right on the ocean and meals to died for .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx