PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 05:09
Went to the Magic Kingdom on Saturday and this ride was shut for 'your future enjoyment' with maintenance guys crawling all over the tracks. Wonder if it's related to the recent accident on the same ride at Disneyland California?

Daniel Ramsey
07-10-2003, 17:47
No John it was down for a rehab or the annual maintenance cycle before the BTMRR incident at DL, however in light of that terrible incident ALL the parks have implemented a massive inspection plan to prevent the same from happening again. Apparently the faux loco in the front seperated from the rest of the train, it derailed and the rest of the train plowed into it. Its our families favorite ride and hopefully its back up in the month of january, and the ExtraTERRORestrial show is closed until fall of 2004 to retheme it to a Stich theme (Lilo & Stich)it is one of my favorites.

Amirah
18-11-2003, 04:21
That horrible accident will not keep me from riding Thunder Mountain. I'm glad that Disney is doing their part by upgrading their maintanence policies. :)

blott
03-12-2003, 02:30
It reopened again on 29 November following a 'major refurbishment'.

Ruth
03-12-2003, 02:52
Hurrah:)The children love this one so I am glad it is open again in time for christmas :D

Mo Guest
29-08-2004, 17:45
Hi all,

We did this ride on our first visit to Disney in 1999 when our daughter was 6 years old. It looked fairly tame until it got going on the downhills and corners when it really is a thrilling ride. Our little one (bless her) on the second time round and going slowly up the incline ready to be thrilled again said 'this is dangerous!' - best laugh I've had in ages![:o)]

Mo

blott
29-08-2004, 19:04
This is my Mum's favourite ride (not!).

We got her on it by telling her it was OK (she was 76 at the time - now 83) and she sat next to me. Well, big mistake as I came off the ride deaf in one ear and bruised all down one arm due to her over enthusiastic screaming and hanging on to me for dear life! :D

I don't know why, but she never trusted us again when we said a ride was OK...

She's still game for most things (apart from roller coasters) and her very favourite is Boggy Creek airboats - when they go fast!

Nostromo
29-08-2004, 20:12
One thing about BTMR; it is POPULAR. Whether it is in Paris, California or Orlando and irrespective of the day or time, there is usually at least a moderate queue. It is very much a part of Disney / MK atmosphere.

PaulRocke17
09-09-2004, 23:34
This is one of the best rides in the park, and I will ride it again and again without any fear. Lets hope they don't take too much of a safety harness that it spoils the thrills of the ride. :)