PDA

View Full Version : Irish and British passports

Tonish
16-09-2007, 23:38
I'm originally from Northern Ireland, as is Mrs T. We therefore have the option of having both Irish and British citizenship.

Now, our personal choice has always been to have British passports, which we're perfectly happy with. However, because of a driving conviction, a lost driving licence and some nervousness about Visa regulations on our part, Mrs T now has a Visa on her passport.

This should be OK, but we have learned from experience that having a Visa in your passport causes the immigration guys to look more closely at you and creates a number of extra questions.

The last couple of times we went, Mrs T had some embarrassing moments, when the immigration guys refused to believe she had applied for a Visa because of a speeding conviction and subjected her to close further questioning over it.

It's now got to the stage that she's nervous whilst standing in the queue, which comes across when she's asked the simple questions, which leads to further questions.

It's not that there's anything to hide at all, but the awkwardness of going through the experience has become a nuisance and is very unpleasant for her - anyone who has ever been disbelieved by a US immigration agent will recognise how they can move very quickly from pleasant to unpleasant and for Mrs T, who is quite shy and quiet, it's something of a trial.

So, we were thinking, why not apply for an Irish passport as well and go in on the Visa waiver like everyone else (she didn't need the Visa in the first place)

Any thoughts on the likely consequences of such an action?

Robert5988
17-09-2007, 00:37
If it ever did emerge that you(the whole family??) formerly had an British Passport, and had now got an Irish passport, you might be in for a serious 'third degree'.

It is quite normal for immigration to ask someone with a 'virgin' passport if they have ever been to America before. Imagine how your wife might answer that question - "yes we changed passports because US immigration keep giving me a bad time!!!"

I also don't know what information is recorded on the immigration computer when your passport is swiped in UK and USA - if it cross-checks addresses, that might alert them. When I get a new passport I assume that US immigration will still be able to find some information on me.

Given your wife's nervous disposition, I doubt she will be any less nervous with a new Irish passport.

P.S.

I well remember the discussions about wife's eligbility to enter on a Visa.

mizzy
17-09-2007, 01:01
surely now that they have quizzed your wife all the details will be there whether you turn up with an irish or british passport

i think by changing to new irish passports they would perhaps think it's strange and you could open yourself up to more questioning

fingers crossed you've given them all the information in the past so the 2nd visit will be less stressfull[msnsmile]

Tonish
17-09-2007, 01:57
Sage advice Robert and thank you. Should have listened to you in the first place.

This raises a different question, however.

Once a visa always a visa? The passport expires next year, the visa lasts one year longer. Does this mean:

1. When the new passport arrives, is it then possible to start afresh as it were, and enter on a waiver?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, given that she didn't need a visa in the first place; surely they will want to know at immigration why there's no visa on the new passport given that the records show an unexpired visa in her name?

Robert5988
17-09-2007, 02:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:2. If the answer to 1 is yes, given that she didn't need a visa in the first place; surely they will want to know at immigration why there's no visa on the new passport given that the records show an unexpired visa in her name?[/quote]

Simply tell them that you got a Visa because you were incorrectly advised that you needed to get one for a speeding conviction.

I suspect that the first time you could have a query, but once you have entered on a waiver the Immigration officer will see that you have entered on that passport before and there should be no problem.

mfairhurst
17-09-2007, 02:55
We came in when we had our new visa ( It is a 6 months one ) and we asked the imagration man why did we have a finger print done and also a photo take .
We were told that if we had a issue with something we could stay in the country to sort it out but if we were on a normal visa we could not so understood .
Not that we plan to do anything .
When our last passport run out we apply for our 6 months visa again and we were turn down so we rang the USA office and was told the only way we could possibly get one again was go to for a interview down LONDON so we had a long weekend and got it as we took all the paper work about the villa .
They tried to deliver it FRIDAY the next day so when we got home on the Sunday a card was behind the door saying will deliver it Monday .
Anyway it was worth it [msnsmile2]
Sorry for the long SAGA
[msncry]
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

steph_goodrum
17-09-2007, 13:41
If you did apply for Irish passports and then get asked at Immigration why you did so, one answer that will usually keep them happy is to say that as you are getting older you are feeling more patriotic and that you feel closer to your Irish roots:)

Several people who have had visas have now not renewed them as they feel that iti isnt worth the expense and time if they can travel under the visa waiver.

Southsider
17-09-2007, 16:25
On the subject of passports, our are due for renewal next May and thought that we had to have six months on them to be able to go to USA, but reading on the embassy website apparently not, they can be used right up until they expire, providing that your date of leaving the USA is before it runs out.

Tonish, Even if your wife gets an Irish Passport, when you arrive in US they will ask when she was last there and it will show up against her name anyway and they type of visa she entered on. I think it would be best to check with the embassy before you travel just to be on the safe side tho.

Tricia

blott
17-09-2007, 16:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider
On the subject of passports, our are due for renewal next May and thought that we had to have six months on them to be able to go to USA, but reading on the embassy website apparently not, they can be used right up until they expire, providing that your date of leaving the USA is before it runs out.

Tonish, Even if your wife gets an Irish Passport, when you arrive in US they will ask when she was last there and it will show up against her name anyway and they type of visa she entered on. I think it would be best to check with the embassy before you travel just to be on the safe side tho.

Tricia [/quote]I think you'll find that some airlines impose the six mnnth restriction despite the fact that it's not a US Immigration requirement. Check with your particular airline first!

SDJ
17-09-2007, 17:33
Tonish

Your wife's B2 Visa will still be valid after her Passport expires. She needs to take both Passports until her B2 expires, then she could just travel on a VWP. If she was asked why did she not renew her B2, all she needs to say is that she does not expect to be staying in the US over 90 days.

Hope this helps.

Sandra

Sniff
17-09-2007, 20:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Southsider

Tricia [/quote]I think you'll find that some airlines impose the six mnnth restriction despite the fact that it's not a US Immigration requirement. Check with your particular airline first!
[/quote]
Yes, as the airlines are responsible for the costs of 'repatriation' should your documentation not be in order when you reach the US (or any other country for that matter) they do tend to be a little over zealous [V]

anorak
25-09-2007, 20:02
As far as names on passports are concerned you can specify different first and middle names on your Irish passport to that on your birth certificate if you so wish. I am not sure if you can use an Irish form of your surname or not, this question has not come up before in my family.
This would mean that your irish and British passports would have quite different names on, and quite probably different initials, although the date of birth would be the same.
Your Irish passport would also show the letters GBR as country of birth.

jimmymac
26-09-2007, 13:35
Hi Tonish,

Mrs T can renew her British Passport early if she wants to. If the passport still has 10 months to run, they will issue a passport with 10 years and 10 months.

Please don't try to hide anything from the Immigration officer, tell them , if they ask, the visa was issued in the old passport, and as you don't intend to stay longer than 90 days, you no longer wish to enter on the visa and would like to enter under the Visa waiver programme.

You have no idea what information that the officer in front of you has on you, the moment that you differ from the information he has to hand, is the moment your entry becomes doubtful. If mrs T is really that nervous, be honest and tell the officer.They are trained to detect and read peoples reactions, so they will be aware that she is nervous and not at ease.That in turn rings an alarm bell and they then think you have a reason to hide things

I hope things improve for Mrs T. and you both get to enjoy Florida without the fear of the immigration desk

Tonish
26-09-2007, 23:11
Thanks for this everyone.

What's annoying about this is that the embassy should have told her you don't need a visa, go ahead on the waiver, rather than issuing a visa. But they refuse to discuss "in principle" with you, simply tell you to apply and then either grant a visa or refuse entry.

It's been a real pain all round.