PDA

View Full Version : There is a Gator at the bottom of our garden!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-10-2003, 19:08
Just went to try and take some new pictures of our pool enclosure and there is a HUGE gator sunning itself on the banks of the lake at the bottom of the garden...I think I'll try later for the photos :D

chrisj
06-10-2003, 19:19
Well dont feed it or it wont go away

chrizzy100
06-10-2003, 20:22
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Just went to try and take some new pictures of our pool enclosure and there is a HUGE gator sunning itself on the banks of the lake at the bottom of the garden...I think I'll try later for the photos :D

We have a coyote at the bottom of ours......there is also talk about a wolf on the Cape......we thought we saw it last year......its not been unknown before......we also had this huge bat in the middle of the road....I'm talking a thing with a wingspan that looked a few ft across....it scared me half to death......I have no idea what kind it was.....we only have little ones here......

DMC
06-10-2003, 20:33
We don't get anything bigger than the occasional fox or the odd frog in our garden !!!

I knew there was at least one advantage to living in the UK rather than Florida [:o)]

Ruth
06-10-2003, 20:48
Take a photo of the gator instead John:D:D

Cowboy
07-10-2003, 01:19
Do we need suits of armour on Wednesday,John[?]

Mike.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 03:05
I could not get near enough to it to get a decent photo - it started getting up and waving it's tail when I tried to go near - I took the hint and backed off ;)

quote:Originally posted by Ruth

Take a photo of the gator instead John:D:D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 03:07
Might be an idea - I've counted at least 5 of them in the lake behind the house before now ;)

quote:Originally posted by Cowboy

Do we need suits of armour on Wednesday,John[?]

Mike.

chrisj
07-10-2003, 03:10
John

You could now advertise your villa as a Villa with a pet Aligator ?? wow thats a great idea

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 05:29
LOL Chris - it's a great deterrant if the children are being naughty - the thought of them being gator food seems to do the trick every time (only joking of course) ;)

esprit
07-10-2003, 06:55
If it is more than four foot, the gator patrol will take it away, John. However I used to think that they re-located them away from houses, but I have heard that actually something happens to them that you as a veggie might not like to think about!!! We have quite a few gators in Celebration, though the biggest is only about three foot, also racoons, deer and armadillo. I have heard that there is a bear ( from a reputable attorney!!) though I have yet to see that!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 07:08
I'd imagine it was around 6 feet from tip to tail. I'm not saying a word more about it as I certainly would not want someone taking it away from it's natural habitat :(

We have deer, wild pigs, racoons, eagles, egrets (sp?) and lots more in Crescent Lakes - it's great :D

Carla
07-10-2003, 07:15
One of our gators was taken away by the wardens a couple of days ago. Some brainless people had been feeding it for a few days before a resident spotted them and told them not to!! Unfortunately the damage was done, gator got bold, and now it's gone, but there are still plenty of others around!!!

Why would anyone in their right mind deliberately try and coax a gator onto land near where they are standing?? What do they think will happen once the gator is near them???? It beats me!!!

Gators have a very small brain and they are motivated to eat (as often as possible) and procreate (in the Spring) - nothing else matters!! If left alone they will not come anywhere near humans. However, if you feed them then they see humans as a source of food and will approach. Then they have to be removed and end up as gator bites. [}:)][}:)]

We share the same wildlife Julie, plus a gaggle of wild turkeys who love to lay around on the grass!! By the sounds of it we also share the same bear story!!!! Who's the attorney - I think I know his "tall story" friend!!:D:D

John, ours was 5 feet 7 inches apparently and my friend got the entire capture on video.
Such a shame for the poor creature.

esprit
07-10-2003, 07:42
Same thing happened to the big gator who used to live in the lake on Eagle Pointe. Gator patrol came and hooked it out. I forgot about the wild boar, there are supposed to be some of those around Celebration too. Honestly, I have heard the tall bear story from two or three Celebration residents, Carla. Have you heard the same??

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-10-2003, 07:43
:(

Carla
07-10-2003, 08:35
I've heard the bear story Julie, and I've also heard that the bear roam around a bit further south, which is where I am. Never seen any though!! Would love to. :D:D

shazbat
07-10-2003, 13:24
We are also on crescent lakes and when we went over in July discovered a big black snake living in our wall--it came out early every morning to sun itself--apparently there are only 2 types of snake in this area one is poisonous and one isnt.ours is!but i'm sure it wont do any harm unless provoked.i have mentioned it to our management co for them to keep an eye on things though.
Shazbat

steph_goodrum
07-10-2003, 14:19
Shazbat
That's sounds a bit dangerous to wait and see what happens, it may not do any harm unless provoked but if you get children around with sticks etc they are sure to start poking it, and not only could it prove fatal for them , you could be hit with an extremely big lawsuit, I would imagine, especially as you have said you know about it's existence. I think I'd have to get pest control or someone to remove it for my own peace of mind. I'm sure they could find it a good home.

caroline
07-10-2003, 15:08
I definitely wouldn't want to stay in a house with a snake[:0]

Ruth
07-10-2003, 15:38
Nor me[:I][:I]

quote:Originally posted by caroline

I definitely wouldn't want to stay in a house with a snake[:0]

Harmony
07-10-2003, 15:42
I hear Martin is quite good at removing snakes. Only joking Martin :D:D:D. I know you have had enough of snakes in your time.

chrizzy100
07-10-2003, 19:28
quote:Originally posted by esprit

If it is more than four foot, the gator patrol will take it away, John. However I used to think that they re-located them away from houses, but I have heard that actually something happens to them that you as a veggie might not like to think about!!! We have quite a few gators in Celebration, though the biggest is only about three foot, also racoons, deer and armadillo. I have heard that there is a bear ( from a reputable attorney!!) though I have yet to see that!!!

Our Racoons are always in our rubbish....they make a mess of anything not tied down....the skunks clear our grass of the Japanese beetles but leave huge holes everywhere....but I really love them they are smelly but so cute.....the foxes here are very ugly unlike our English ones...we also get deer running up the street with cops trying to catch them....thats very cool and funny....
I've also heard they kill large gators....maybe its a lot to do with where their reported...and why their reported.....

chrizzy100
07-10-2003, 19:30
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Same thing happened to the big gator who used to live in the lake on Eagle Pointe. Gator patrol came and hooked it out. I forgot about the wild boar, there are supposed to be some of those around Celebration too. Honestly, I have heard the tall bear story from two or three Celebration residents, Carla. Have you heard the same??

Maybe they're drop bears.......:D:D[:o)]

chrizzy100
07-10-2003, 19:33
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

Shazbat
That's sounds a bit dangerous to wait and see what happens, it may not do any harm unless provoked but if you get children around with sticks etc they are sure to start poking it, and not only could it prove fatal for them , you could be hit with an extremely big lawsuit, I would imagine, especially as you have said you know about it's existence. I think I'd have to get pest control or someone to remove it for my own peace of mind. I'm sure they could find it a good home.

I agree....I'd have any snake removed ...a lawsuit is something you really don't want in the USA.....

blott
07-10-2003, 19:42
Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

So, if you want to be kind to alligators, don't feed them as that way, you can save them in their natural habitat.

chrizzy100
07-10-2003, 19:58
quote:Originally posted by blott

Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

So, if you want to be kind to alligators, don't feed them as that way, you can save them in their natural habitat.

Good point blott....you'd not catch me feeding any wildlife apart from birds.....with a bird feeder....some everyday foods can kill wildlife ...I've heard tuna can kill skunks.....

sarahjk
08-10-2003, 13:31
quote:Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

It really beggars belief on why anyone would want to feed them I love to look at them as much as the next but to feed them you have to be verging on insane

blott
08-10-2003, 19:03
Oh, you'd be surprised - we've often seen (and told off!) guests from the UK staying at other homes around our rear lake feeding alligators and other wildlife when we've been staying at our home. We've even seen one guest encouraging a small child to get nearer to the water to throw bread! [:O]

People on holiday sometimes seem to leave their brains behind and think the alligators are 'cute' but forget that they can run at 30 mph (a lot quicker than any of us humans) and have all those pointy sharp teeth!

markburwood
08-10-2003, 19:37
Caroline

My house is just down the road on Calabay and my last guest from last found an 18'' snake in my master bedroom[:0].I'm glad he didnt mind snake's:)

chrisj
08-10-2003, 19:48
When we were there we did walk around the lake, didnt go too near the edge though. We had
those cranes all over the place, but Sam didnt like them much. They did come up to the screen
most days but apart from taking a few photos we just ignored them.

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 19:52
quote:Originally posted by markburwood

Caroline

My house is just down the road on Calabay and my last guest from last found an 18'' snake in my master bedroom[:0].I'm glad he didnt mind snake's:)

I don't mind snakes...but not in the bedroom....how did he get in....??

markburwood
08-10-2003, 22:20
I haven't got a clue,all doors to the outside are all tight and I hadn't had any guest's for a week.

Ruth
08-10-2003, 23:29
OMG[:0][:0][:0]I'm sorry but I would have been out of there very fast[:I]I don't mind pet snakes but not wild ones;)

Caroline

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 23:35

I haven't got a clue,all doors to the outside are all tight and I hadn't had any guest's for a week.

I'm glad we have a Villa in a more built up area....I get enough wild life here....I don't want it down there too....

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 23:38
quote:Originally posted by Ruth

OMG[:0][:0][:0]I'm sorry but I would have been out of there very fast[:I]I don't mind pet snakes but not wild ones;)

Caroline

The best place to be bite if you're going to be bite by a snake is FL....if you are bite... try to kill it...and take it to the hospital with you....it maybe harmless....so you'll need no treatment....

lisi
12-10-2003, 21:06
Well, I may be late in replying to this topic but I am JEALOUS!!! I hoped all holiday to see a gator in the lake behind us but NO LUCK!! Lots of ripples but no gators so I began to think it was all a tall story. Not so I can see judging by the replies above. I did wonder being a wild life freak why there are no bird tables. Does nobody in Florida feed the birds like we do in the UK?

Lisi

blott
12-10-2003, 21:18
quote: Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc. No-one in their right mind would leave any food out anywhere as it's illegal to feed some bird species anyway and the other reason is that you'd attract all sorts of wildlife that you'd rather not have on your doorstep! Florida has lots of creatures that are a lot more dangerous than those you would normally find in the UK.

Most lakes in Florida have at least one alligator so you were really unlucky not to spot one. They do tend to be more active in the early mornings or evenings. Although they have to come up for air every so often, you may miss seeing just their noses poke up through the water unless you're watching very carefully at just the right time.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
12-10-2003, 21:22
We often see just a pair of eyes poking out of the lake behind our 7 bed - they sometimes look a bit like a piece of wood floating in the water - until they start moving that is ;):D.

It's lovely to be surrounded by so much nature yet be extremely close to all the attractions - best of both worlds if you ask me :D.

lisi
12-10-2003, 21:30
Well thanks - I am chastened! Perhaps the ripples I saw were the gators but as we were in the lanai and didn't get right up closeto the lake we could have missed them. We did have some lovely big birds come right up to the door waiting to be fed. But next door did so - I just watched!

Lisi

chrizzy100
12-10-2003, 23:11
quote:Originally posted by lisi

Well thanks - I am chastened! Perhaps the ripples I saw were the gators but as we were in the lanai and didn't get right up closeto the lake we could have missed them. We did have some lovely big birds come right up to the door waiting to be fed. But next door did so - I just watched!

Lisi

Locals could have bird tables...you'd have to look around for a shop that sells bird feed and tables..they are run by the American bird watchers group....they give you info on all the rules for feeding wild birds in the area.....

blott
12-10-2003, 23:18
Ooops, sorry Lisi, I didn't mean to lecture [:I], I just feel very strongly about wildlife!

Check this page from http://floridaconservation.org website

May 8, 2002

Effective May 13, it will be against the law to intentionally feed bears, raccoons, foxes and sandhill cranes in Florida. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) passed the new rule in April to help reduce problems that occur when wild become too comfortable around humans.

“Feeding wild animals is becoming a significant problem in Florida,” said Dewey Weaver, public information coordinator for the FWC’s North Central Region office in Lake City. “When people feed wildlife, the animals become less wary of humans in general. When this happens, they lose that natural fear and can become dangerous, or cause considerable property damage.”

Usually, the people who are responsible for causing the problem to begin with are not the only ones affected by it. One person feeding wildlife is likely to cause problems for many others in a neighborhood because wildlife doesn’t understand fence lines or boundaries. Once the animal gets used to getting food at one location, it will come back again and again. In the course of these return trips, the animal will traverse other yards where it may come across garbage cans, bird feeders or pet food. Food is food and it doesn’t matter if it has been set out in a nice clean bowl, or is in the form of trash waiting to be picked up.

Even worse, some animals, such as raccoons, will bring along all the other raccoons in their neighborhood and soon one cute raccoon munching cat food turns into 24 destructive raccoons tearing into screens, ripping into pet food bags and turning over garbage cans to get a meal. Also, when wild animals are in such close proximity to humans, it is easier for them to transmit disease to humans and pets though bites or scratches.

“Unfortunately, people who feed wildlife are not only exposing themselves to safety and health risks, and property damage, they are likely killing the critters with kindness. Very often, habituated wildlife ends up being euthanized because, in most cases, it cannot be successfully relocated,” said Weaver.

When the rule becomes effective on May 13, it will be a 2nd degree misdemeanor to intentionally feed raccoons, bears, foxes or sandhill cranes (it’s already against the law to feed alligators). Enforcement efforts will be based on complaints the FWC receives about people whose behavior is causing these animals to become health, safety and property damage risks.

“We are not as interested in writing tickets as we are in educating people about how their actions affect wildlife behavior, which in turn affects other people,” said Weaver. “However, once someone understands that by feeing wildlife they are causing these animals to destroy property or become threats to human safety and welfare, they will be cited.”

The bottom line is that it doesn’t benefit anyone- human or animal – to feed these animals. Everyone pays in the end. The wild animals usually pay with their lives.

If you know of someone who is intentionally feeding raccoons, bears, foxes, sandhill cranes or alligators, please report them to the 24-hour Wildlife Alert Hotline at 1-888-404-FWCC. The call is free and you could be eligible for a reward if your information leads to an arrest.

JMH/DAW/OIS

lisi
14-10-2003, 00:10
Wow Blott! I can see what you mean by nobody in their right minds would feed the wildlife! I guess we get so used to doing so in this country we don't realise quite how many truly wild creatures there are in Florida. So I could have shopped the lady in the next door villa who was feeding bread to the big birds! Not that I would - but she was American and should have known better.

Thanks for taking the trouble tho to print the above - very helpful. Will remember next year
Lisi

Cowboy
14-10-2003, 01:09
Getting back to the original Topic, I feel this is going to develope into "The legend of Crescent Lake". Having spent a very pleasant 5 hours at John and Sarah's last Wednesday there was no sign of any Gator despite John saying that he needed to get real close to it because Roger was desperate for a good photo of the rear of their home which necessitated John getting as close to lake(and said Gatror) as possible. Was John showing his bravery to Roger in regards to this 6 foot ( may now be 8 ft.)Gator[?]. John did promise a photo next time he saw it, so guess we will need to await his next visit.:(
Each time we go that way , must go along Poinciana Blvd. and have a quick look.:D:D
Sorry John, couldn't resist.
Mike.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-10-2003, 01:38
It's just that he's a bit shy Mike ;):D;):D

chrizzy100
14-10-2003, 01:55

Getting back to the original Topic, I feel this is going to develope into "The legend of Crescent Lake". Having spent a very pleasant 5 hours at John and Sarah's last Wednesday there was no sign of any Gator despite John saying that he needed to get real close to it because Roger was desperate for a good photo of the rear of their home which necessitated John getting as close to lake(and said Gatror) as possible. Was John showing his bravery to Roger in regards to this 6 foot ( may now be 8 ft.)Gator[?]. John did promise a photo next time he saw it, so guess we will need to await his next visit.:(
Each time we go that way , must go along Poinciana Blvd. and have a quick look.:D:D
Sorry John, couldn't resist.
Mike.

John told all us ladies the gator was 12 ft....[:0]

fiona
14-10-2003, 02:12
oh how unlike a man; to exaggerate about ...... the length of the fish he caught, and oh - is there something else??;)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-10-2003, 02:16
I've no need to exaggerate about size (of gators) Chrizzy [:I];)[:I];)

blott
14-10-2003, 02:26
Yes, you could Lisi and might have got yourself a reward if it was a sand hill crane!

I've tried to upload a pic of a definite 100% genuine Crescent Lakes gator (which was taken by one of our guests) but I don't know how long it is as I think the guest used a telephoto lens (at least I hope they did!). :D

/forums/Data/20031013222554_DSCF1621a.jpg

chrizzy100
14-10-2003, 02:30

I've no need to exaggerate about size (of gators) Chrizzy [:I];)[:I];)

I believe you John.....[}:)];)

blott
14-10-2003, 02:32
Oh and these are sand hill cranes (Mum plus fluffy baby) so everyone will recognise what they look like the next time they're reaching for the bread...

/forums/Data/2003101322321_DSCF1578a.jpg

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-10-2003, 02:32
LOL :)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-10-2003, 02:37
Just found a picture of the gator I was talking about on my digital camera:

/forums/Data/20031013223649_gator1.jpg

chrisj
14-10-2003, 03:19
We saw a gator in the lake when we stayed in Crescent lakes, but once we saw it in the lake
we kept away, we also got pestered by those crane things as well

Cowboy
14-10-2003, 05:36
[8D]6 feet[?].Please tell us the truth Sarah (or Isaac).
Mike.
ps. Glad you arrived home safely.

lisi
15-10-2003, 00:19
Wow - thanks for the pictures. Yes it was the sand hill cranes that came begging and I am so glad that somebody else NEVER saw a gator! All a figment of the imagination I fear!!! Better luck next year

Lisi

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-10-2003, 00:26
It does not look that big on the photo as I've had to mess around with the photo in Photoshop to get the gator to a reasonable size as it was taken from quite a distance away (as close as I dared) without a zoon lens.

Flight home was painless and very uneventful thanks Mike :)

[8D]6 feet[?].Please tell us the truth Sarah (or Isaac).
Mike.
ps. Glad you arrived home safely.

chrizzy100
15-10-2003, 00:31

It does not look that big on the photo as I've had to mess around with the photo in Photoshop to get the gator to a reasonable size as it was taken from quite a distance away (as close as I dared) without a zoon lens.

Flight home was painless and very uneventful thanks Mike :)

[/quote]

Yeah yeah...we know.....;)
It looks bigger in real life.....I've heard that one before..[}:)]

chrizzy100
19-10-2003, 04:38
is this what you were looking for.......:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-10-2003, 13:55
Sometimes it is true too :D

quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
It looks bigger in real life.....I've heard that one before..[}:)]

TonyBlenk
17-10-2004, 17:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
We saw a gator in the lake when we stayed in Crescent lakes, but once we saw it in the lake
we kept away, we also got pestered by those crane things as well
[/quote]
I think the Cranes look fantastic around the area - great to see Florida wildlife!

Fletch
17-10-2004, 21:53
Gators I can just about cope with as long as they keep their distance.
Snakes in the master bedroom - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. Now I'm REALLY scared.[msnscared] Please tell me this is not a regular occurrence!

17-10-2004, 22:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
Gators I can just about cope with as long as they keep their distance.
Snakes in the master bedroom - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. Now I'm REALLY scared.[msnscared] Please tell me this is not a regular occurrence!
[/quote]

Its not I have been going to Florida for 20 Years and only ever saw one snake in the garden!![msnsmile]

CarolAnn
18-10-2004, 01:13
We saw a black snake sitting behind a plant pot which was on the pool deck of one of the show homes we looked at in April 2003!! A woman who was apparently one of the many furniture advises that float around, just went over to it and picked it up and moved it back outside the pool cage, and let it go in the pine woods[:O]Not a care in the world, she said the snakes are good to keep the rats away[msneek][msneek][msneek]Oh! Well that is ok then[msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2004, 13:32
[msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]

SunLover
18-10-2004, 18:02
Well apart from a few cranes and the odd racoon who appear around the garden, we have Arnie the armadillo, who regular as clockwork treks through our garden in the wee small hours on one of his night time hunting trips :)

Cruella DeVilla
18-10-2004, 21:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
Well apart from a few cranes and the odd racoon who appear around the garden, we have Arnie the armadillo, who regular as clockwork treks through our garden in the wee small hours on one of his night time hunting trips :)
[/quote]
Wicked!

Magical Dreams
19-10-2004, 02:41
Now that would scare the pants off me!!

I'd be in touch with the MC and make sure that it is removed!!

The Gator's are quite fasinating...... Always thought so.

At a distance obviously!!

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

lisi
19-10-2004, 23:51
Well - I am just back and we did have a gator in the river but he never came up on the bank. We had raccoons on the lawn and an armadillo and plenty of beautiful birds but the worst things for me were the 2 huge spiders during our stay. The first one greeted us as we arrived adn I was nearly on the way back - it was high up on the wall of the lanai. The second one was in the bathroom off the master bedroom - however, the spray can worked wonders. We did see the gopher turtles and iguanas in Boca Grande but no snakes thank goodness[B)]

Lisi

Daybreak
22-10-2004, 12:36
We saw lots of wildlife on our visit this summer, far more than ever before, probably beacause of the lake at the rear of the villa. It was wonderful especially for the children. I loved to get up first in the mornings to see what was wondering around, at a safe distance of course:)

Dawn

NigelM
14-04-2009, 19:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by shazbat
We are also on crescent lakes and when we went over in July discovered a big black snake living in our wall--it came out early every morning to sun itself--apparently there are only 2 types of snake in this area one is poisonous and one isnt.ours is!but i'm sure it wont do any harm unless provoked.i have mentioned it to our management co for them to keep an eye on things though.
Shazbat
[/quote]

Whatever happened about that snake!!

blott
14-04-2009, 19:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
Whatever happened about that snake!![/quote]Well, it'll be six years older by now so will be long gone I'm thinking.

Robert5988
14-04-2009, 22:27
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Robert5988/200941418276_aligator.jpg

lafifille
14-04-2009, 23:00
Robert, I really hope this is Photoshopped

PAUL GIZZI
14-04-2009, 23:44
got to be photoshop ( i hope ) as i wouldnt what to open the door to it,, well the mother-in-law is coming with us this trip i think she should open it[laugh]

caroline
14-04-2009, 23:53
It's a photo that's been doing the joke rounds for a few years - not sure if it was ever genuine but it does make me chuckle - certainly not from a rental home as you'd never get a management company to look after all those pot plants on the deck[msnwink]

PAUL GIZZI
14-04-2009, 23:59
what a shame could of feed the mother-in-law to it

Maddie
15-04-2009, 03:03
WOW....it looked real to me but guess it wasn't....

Maddie

NigelM
15-04-2009, 14:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by PAUL GIZZI
[/quote]

If it was my Mother-in law in question I would fear for the gator!!

[msnsmile2]

lafifille
15-04-2009, 14:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by PAUL GIZZI
[/quote]

If it was my Mother-in law in question I would fear for the gator!!

[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Same here :D:D:D We'd have Gator stew that night [msnwink]

Jill
15-04-2009, 15:03
Make a matching handbag and pair of shoes.

Susan J
15-04-2009, 18:46
Watch out for those black snakes- if it is a cottonmouth, you'd have 20 minutes to get to hospital! I recommend snake away

florida4sun
15-04-2009, 20:28
Before we scare all the visitors away[msnscared] The likely hood of seeing a cotton mouth is extremely rare and the likely hood of being bitten is even more rare. The whole time we lived in Florida I only ever saw one cotton mouth and we lived next to the largest conservation area in the Disney vicinity. On average 4 people per year die from snake bites in the whole of the USA and his usually due to incorrect aftercare. That is 4 in the whole of the USA.
I had no problem letting my children play outside in Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Watch out for those black snakes- if it is a cottonmouth, you'd have 20 minutes to get to hospital! I recommend snake away
[/quote]

NigelM
16-04-2009, 13:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Before we scare all the visitors away[msnscared] The likely hood of seeing a cotton mouth is extremely rare and the likely hood of being bitten is even more rare. The whole time we lived in Florida I only ever saw one cotton mouth and we lived next to the largest conservation area in the Disney vicinity. On average 4 people per year die from snake bites in the whole of the USA and his usually due to incorrect aftercare. That is 4 in the whole of the USA.
I had no problem letting my children play outside in Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Watch out for those black snakes- if it is a cottonmouth, you'd have 20 minutes to get to hospital! I recommend snake away[/quote][/quote]That is scary Martin...can I send those tickets back? [msneek]

steelo
16-04-2009, 21:17
Hi Guys, give me gators, snakes ,bats ,and bears, anyday over the bunch of hooligans we have to live near, lol I envy everyone who lives in sunny florida, I just keep wishing maybe one day..
xx

lafifille
17-04-2009, 01:01
Plus we do have our share of nasty critters in Europe anyway [msnwink].

chrizzy100
17-04-2009, 19:18
We have a large coyote that walks up our street in MA...and I mean large..at first I thought it was a husky cus I only saw its tail..then thought maybe its the local wolf that is the talk of the town late spring and fall..even the troopers who have closed the highway because of it say it is a wolf..we saw it early on morning at the ice rink...and I had a hybrid wolf/husky and did work for a week at Yellowstone writing a piece on the wolves there for my wolf rescue group and it sure looked like a wolf to me too...but deep down I'm sure its some coyote/German Shepard mix...my one was just a very large very healthy coyote..lovely to see so close

Its nice having wildlife around you..and we really need the coyote to keep down the rabbits..but I can leave my grandson to play in the garden for even a second..

kelleak
21-04-2009, 20:27
OMG !!! You have all scared the life out of me with talks of snakes and spiders. I am going over in 3 weeks and staying in west stonebridge is there much chance of me having any snakes, spiders etc in the house? Is it usual to have them actually in the house. Where would i look to check? I will NOT sleep now untill i have checked the whole villa !!! Sorry to sound like a crazy lunatic, but that would be my worst nightmare, i am taking 5 kids out with me and my husband is worse over snakes than i am.

Robert5988
21-04-2009, 23:18
There are very very few venomous snakes in Florida, and even less in the Orlando area. You probably have more chance of encountering an adder in UK.

You might see a harmless 'black racer', but even that is rare.

florida4sun
21-04-2009, 23:28
Hi,

We lived there for 5 years and I can honestly say that we see more creepy crawlies inside our UK house. The houses in Florida are treated in monthly basis with an organic pesticide (harmless to humans and pets) and it forms and invisible barrier that works really well.
I never once seen or heard of a snake being in a house, quite frankly they will shy away from human activity and you wod need to go out into the wildnerness and look hard to see one.

When you arrive you fear will disipate as soon as you walk through the door. It really is nothing to worry about.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kelleak
OMG !!! You have all scared the life out of me with talks of snakes and spiders. I am going over in 3 weeks and staying in west stonebridge is there much chance of me having any snakes, spiders etc in the house? Is it usual to have them actually in the house. Where would i look to check? I will NOT sleep now untill i have checked the whole villa !!! Sorry to sound like a crazy lunatic, but that would be my worst nightmare, i am taking 5 kids out with me and my husband is worse over snakes than i am.

[/quote]

lafifille
22-04-2009, 14:35
I don't like snakes, they scare me to death. My son (now 14) has always been fascinated with them, and with the years passing has become quite a specialist, and no matter how hard I tried to discourage that, he still loves them. He now raises a snake in his room (I have to be voted Best Mom, I'm telling you :D), and after a while I got used to it. It's actually the ideal pet: no noise, gets fed only once or twice a month (so poops only once or twice a month, no smell;) ), doesn't munch at any electrical cord (damn pet rabbit ;))... Not that I'll get close to it, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Anyway, my point is: snakes do not attack humans, except in Hollywood movies, you'll have to really encourage it: step on it for example. This happens very rarely, as snakes are deaf but feel the vibrations in the ground, and are very good at it too: they hear you coming way before you're actually in the vicinity, and leave, they're very shy. There are no more chances of being bitten by a venomous snake in the US than in Europe, and it would probably be when hiking in the South Western US National parks (although even there there are probably more people killed or hurt by bears or in hunting accidents than by snakes).

If you want to be affraid of something, try rats: they are much more agressive than snakes, they carry lots of diseases, they're not affraid of humans, they're smarter than most humans and they're everywhere on the planet, UK included, probably your house too. And when was the last time you were attacked by a rat [msnwink]?

But since you can't try to think rationnally when you're phobic, here's a tip when you enter your villa: leave the doors open, stomp on the ground in each room, make noise (the kind of noise that causes vibrations), and any possible snake will avoid the area like the plague. There's no place to look at specially, as if there's one in the house, which won't happen in a house in Florida where A/C runs, you won't find it. You probably don't want to know, but there's a far better chance a snake will find a place to nest in a warm house in UK to spend the winter, than in Florida [msnwink]. Then again you'll probably never notice it.

LesleyB
22-04-2009, 16:49
One of our Senior Managers at work has just been in hospital after being bitten by an adder while on holiday in the UK - mind you, he did chase it and then pick it up! [msnscared]

Dads_Taxi
22-04-2009, 17:30
Sorry to drag this back to gators! This little chap (or chappess?) lives in a pond behind a house on Bridgewater Crossing. He is very shy and dives straight back in the pond when anyone tries to catch a glimpse of him. I reckon he was about a metre long, or slightly more.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Dads_Taxi/200942213306_Gator.jpg

blott
22-04-2009, 19:09
Ahh, such a cute baby. :)

kelleak
23-04-2009, 03:50
Thanks very much . I know i probably sound neurotic , but i really am a terrible worrier. All doors will be getting opened, and my five children , husband and i will stomp on the floor!! I bet you would like to be a fly on the wall for that lol! I have been to florida 3 times before and have never come across any snakes, i just had a shiver running down my back when there was mention of finding one in the master bedroom !! Thanks again guys, my mind has well and truly benn put to rest.

Upsidedown
23-04-2009, 13:54
I have been to Florida three times and I have seen a snake on the last two occasions. The first was a skinny black little fellow about 18” long which was on a footpath in front of us and seemed quite unaware of the fact that we were approaching it because it continued towards us. A chap who was walking towards us kicked (guided) the snake into the grass next to the path as he passed it.
Second snake I saw in a gutter by the side of the road with a few people standing around it having a good look. This snake was red, black and yellow striped and I have to say that I would not have allowed my children to get as close as the folks that were studying it did. That was at Cumbrian lakes by the way.
Hope I don’t see any more this time but in Florida based on my experience I suppose that I would have to say that there is a fair chance that I might.

Sally D
23-04-2009, 15:14
We too have seen 2 snakes in Florida. First one was black, red and yellow by the pool in the villa (he was only small) ended up in the pool so I just used the net to catch him and put him outside the cage.

The second time was a black one when we were visiting Disney Wilderness Hotel, he hurried off when he heard us coming.

Love to see the wild life in Florida, we just keep our distance and watch.

Snakes used to bother me but my youngest daughter is mad about all creatures and we now have a snow corn snake in her room, she is a lovely thing and very friendly.

Upsidedown
23-04-2009, 15:25
The black, red and yellow ones come in two “flavours”. One is harmless and the other is very poisonous. There is a saying which goes “red & yella kill a fella” which is to say that if the red & yellow bands are side by side then its poisonous but if the red and yellow bands are seperated by a black band then its non poisonous.

Sally D
23-04-2009, 15:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Upsidedown
The black, red and yellow ones come in two “flavours”. One is harmless and the other is very poisonous. There is a saying which goes “red & yella kill a fella” which is to say that if the red & yellow bands are side by side then its poisonous but if the red and yellow bands are seperated by a black band then its non poisonous.
[/quote]

Yes I had heard of that before 'red & yella kill and fella, red & black friend of jack'. The one that was in our pool area was harmless, I think[msnscared]

kelleak
24-04-2009, 13:09
I've heard the same 'red and yella kill a fella, red and black venom lack'.

chrizzy100
25-04-2009, 06:29
We have snakes in our FL garden...not very big and a lot get eaten by birds....the big one we did have was removed by our pest people..I was happy to leave it alone till we had kids move in next door..

I've not seen a spider in the garden for about 3 years...only ever had one in the house..that was when it was new it was just a normal house spider..we did have a lot of widows at one point around the back door but with the pest control I've not seen one for 4 years..we have small lizards in the house..and we sometimes get large dead bugs at the front door..but our place is empty for months so its expected..I love the lizards..but they make my husband jump...which is very funny...

We heard a few good small brown bear stories from our neighbour...but that was years ago when there was only two homes built...and the area was a bit out in the sticks..

LB2009
03-05-2009, 16:08
We have quite a bit of wildlife at our place on Ridgewood Lakes too, but i personally like to see it and as long as you don't feed or get to close you have nothing to worry about!

another
03-05-2009, 16:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kelleak
I've heard the same 'red and yella kill a fella, red and black venom lack'.
[/quote]

That is a handy saying to remember. Thank you!