PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living

MTP
06-10-2003, 01:01
Hi All,

We are still progressing our plans to move to the States, and are trying to gauge how much income we will need, in particular in the first two years when I would be at college and therefore not earning. One of the comments is that the cost of living is a lot less in the US, ie your money goes further.

So saying, for example, you income is the same in the US in dollars as it is in the UK in sterling (eg comparing earning $10k per annum against £10k), how do those that have made the move find it.

(I am not trying to pry into people's income, but I will still hopefully be able to earn an income as a shareholder in our UK company, and Aileen will work in the State's while I am at college. We need to try to guage what income we need to draw from our UK company)

Many thanks to you all.

Euan

chrizzy100
06-10-2003, 01:16
quote:Originally posted by MTP

Hi All,

We are still progressing our plans to move to the States, and are trying to gauge how much income we will need, in particular in the first two years when I would be at college and therefore not earning. One of the comments is that the cost of living is a lot less in the US, ie your money goes further.

So saying, for example, you income is the same in the US in dollars as it is in the UK in sterling (eg comparing earning $10k per annum against £10k), how do those that have made the move find it.

(I am not trying to pry into people's income, but I will still hopefully be able to earn an income as a shareholder in our UK company, and Aileen will work in the State's while I am at college. We need to try to guage what income we need to draw from our UK company)

Many thanks to you all.

Euan

I don't know about FL...but here in Mass the cost of living is way higher than the UK.....$200+ a month gas bills.....in winter.....$150 cooling in summer....food costs a lot more per week....patrols cheap...thats all I found cheaper....healthcare can add up even with good cover if you go to the docs a lot....so can the dentist....a root canal and crown can run into $2000 a go even with cover....so have good teeth....I'd say we needed more wages to live in Mass than in the UK.....but we can knock off around $40K a year if we move to FL.....its what State you live in....and if you can own your home almost outright.......

florida4sun
06-10-2003, 01:27
Overall I dont think it is any cheaper than living in the Uk. Sure some things are cheaper like cars but then other stuff is more expensive. Over the lst couple of years food has become very expensive.
I would say a family of 5 with an average 4 bedroom house and a car, health care, would need around $60k - $70k a year to live OK. We by no means have an lavish lifestile but do enjoy going out and seeing the place. It is extremely easy to spend money over here.
One thing I would be extremely careful with is healthcare. Make sure you get this sorted. If you are looking at working for a company who supply this as a benefit, be careful. I have met a few people who are caught in trap. A member of their family has claimed on the insurance and thus cannot get coverage elsewhere (the illness is now a pre existing condition). I know two people who are stuck in jobs they hate because of this. We have very good health covergae for the kids. Alex has Muscular Dystrophy (dioesnt actully need that much medical help) and hannah has type 1 diabetes. We are just doing some taxes and I am amazed to find out that last year year we spent $6000.00 on stuff not covered by insurance and co payments, this is on top of the monthly premium - remember we have some of the best insurance going!!!!
It is great place to live if you have money, if you havent its the pits:(

Martin

chrizzy100
06-10-2003, 01:41
quote:Originally posted by florida4sun

Overall I dont think it is any cheaper than living in the Uk. Sure some things are cheaper like cars but then other stuff is more expensive. Over the lst couple of years food has become very expensive.
I would say a family of 5 with an average 4 bedroom house and a car, health care, would need around $60k - $70k a year to live OK. We by no means have an lavish lifestile but do enjoy going out and seeing the place. It is extremely easy to spend money over here.
One thing I would be extremely careful with is healthcare. Make sure you get this sorted. If you are looking at working for a company who supply this as a benefit, be careful. I have met a few people who are caught in trap. A member of their family has claimed on the insurance and thus cannot get coverage elsewhere (the illness is now a pre existing condition). I know two people who are stuck in jobs they hate because of this. We have very good health covergae for the kids. Alex has Muscular Dystrophy (dioesnt actully need that much medical help) and hannah has type 1 diabetes. We are just doing some taxes and I am amazed to find out that last year year we spent $6000.00 on stuff not covered by insurance and co payments, this is on top of the monthly premium - remember we have some of the best insurance going!!!!
It is great place to live if you have money, if you havent its the pits:(

Martin

I agree with your last statement...America's not the place to live if you are out of work......or on a low wage.....I've also never seen so many people with bad teeth in my life......

florida4sun
06-10-2003, 01:44
Aint that the truth. You can meet the most respectable people but once they open there mouths its awful.

[/quote]

I agree with your last statement...America's not the place to live if you are out of work......or on a low wage.....I've also never seen so many people with bad teeth in my life......
[/quote]

chrizzy100
06-10-2003, 01:49
quote:Originally posted by florida4sun

Aint that the truth. You can meet the most respectable people but once they open there mouths its awful.

[/quote]
[/quote]

And they say Brits have bad teeth......I have a cleaning ever 3 months here...but we now only have $1500 a year cover each.....so no more root canals or crowns for me.......I have to clean floss and mouthwash like mad......lol

esprit
06-10-2003, 06:04
I would agree with everything already said. As a tourist, you think it is cheap. That is because you buy gas, eat out and buy clothes and all of those things are cheap. The stuff that residents buy isnt. True, houses and cars are cheaper to buy than in the UK but utility bills are more expensive, property tax is more expensive ( Celebration is $4500!!) food in the supermarkets is more expensive with rare exceptions. As Martin says the prices there seem to have recently gone up. Healthcare is horrific. We are paying $110 a month each and that is with a $5000 excess so it only covers us for hospitalisation and any doctors bills or prescriptions we will have to pay for. The price went up and up as the excess went down. Car nsurance is also dearer. I pay $86 a month for digital TV and broadband. I used to pay £40 per month in the UK. The embassy says minimum $60,000 pa for an E2 applicants owner benefit. My vendors came out slightly lower than that and they made me put in a business plan for some property caretaking to supplement it and bring the earnings up to over the minimum. At the time I didnt see it but now I see that they were right to do so.

As Chrizzy says it is not a country to run short of money in. It is many months before you get a credit rating and access to credit so you live on what you have. It cost us an arm and a leg to set ourselves up here, we just haemmoraged money for the first few months. A lot we didnt know about and hadnt budgetted for like $600 plus to tag ( get a license plate for) the car. Dont underestimate it.

DMC
06-10-2003, 20:45
I agree with all of the above - holidaying is one thing but living in Florida / the USA is another.

From our various visits to Orlando, we have been fortunate enough to get to know several ex pats from the UK and whilst we rave about the US, they have a rather different outlook on life.

The cost of Healthcare is their number one concern followed by the recent increase in the cost of living, in short the grass is not as green as it first appears.

Many of the the locals have 2 jobs, just to make ends meet.

That said, if you ask them would they go back to the UK, almost all would rather stay in the US, but wished that they had known some of the issues before they had moved across the Atlantic.

Do as much research as you can and go in with your eyes open - good luck :)

DMC

chrizzy100
06-10-2003, 21:02
quote:Originally posted by DMC

I agree with all of the above - holidaying is one thing but living in Florida / the USA is another.

From our various visits to Orlando, we have been fortunate enough to get to know several ex pats from the UK and whilst we rave about the US, they have a rather different outlook on life.

The cost of Healthcare is their number one concern followed by the recent increase in the cost of living, in short the grass is not as green as it first appears.

Many of the the locals have 2 jobs, just to make ends meet.

That said, if you ask them would they go back to the UK, almost all would rather stay in the US, but wished that they had known some of the issues before they had moved across the Atlantic.

Do as much research as you can and go in with your eyes open - good luck :)

DMC

I for one would never go back to the UK.....unless I was dragged kicking and screaming.....

We have away better life here ...... even with its up and downs.....but I want people to know that whatever you think is enough money for the first 2 years....double it.....

esprit
07-10-2003, 06:50
Agree totally!!! The first few months in particular are hard and you haemmhorage money at an alarming rate. We went through $20,000 in a blink of an eye and that didnt include my house deposit or the vast part of my business insurance!!! The utilities take deposits off you if you are unknown to them. That includes your mobile phone. We are due large amounts of money back bext year!!

Daniel Ramsey
07-10-2003, 18:11
My advice is NEVER rent a place to live, its just throwing money away.
Buy a used travel trailer, live in a respectable park,or buy a manufactured home and a small piece of rural property.

Up here in Alaska we have some of the highest rental rates in the nation but ironically there is plenty of property to buy with little or no down payments, I bought a 1 acre lot years ago with no down and $125 a month payment and eventually found my current home of 8 acres and a 2 story sizable house for $55,000, it will be totally paid for next may, no more payments ever! just the yearly property tax, and its an investment.

Usually the best deals are foreclosures and even property siezed by the state or government because of many reasons like a drug raid, IRS siezure, bankruptcy etc. Its even possible to rent a small office in many business districts at a very affordable rate, some have minimal facilities for washing, cooking etc, but if it has a small inside shop bay you can easily park a trailer inside to have more comfort and security.

My property was a bankruptcy case, I picked it up with no credit history on my part but thats cause I NEVER use credit cards, I occasionally use a debit card but I pay everything off immediately and in cash. And because of that I have never been in debt.

chrizzy100
07-10-2003, 19:53
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Agree totally!!! The first few months in particular are hard and you haemmhorage money at an alarming rate. We went through $20,000 in a blink of an eye and that didnt include my house deposit or the vast part of my business insurance!!! The utilities take deposits off you if you are unknown to them. That includes your mobile phone. We are due large amounts of money back bext year!!

We never had to pay any deposts for utilities in Mass.....we just had to pay a larger deposit for both the cars.....we had a house.. cars credit card in weeks of getting here.... we were very lucky so it seems......we spent $20k in a few weeks too....so I'd say....$50k for a house if you don't have one here already......$10k for closing....$20k for household things you can't bring over.....$6k for cars.....always have $10k savings spare in the bank......bills will come to around $500 a month over the year.....tax in FL on your home can be high....I budget for $3k a year......food is very costly here.....I had to double my food bill from England.....also always be a month ahead with bills....you can have a bank foreclose on you for being behind in a payment even if the amount is very small....I don't know if thats the same in all States.......I was told that just last week...I don't know how true that is.....but better safe than sorry......

MTP
08-10-2003, 01:53
Thanks for all the replies.

Okay, from what I am gathering is that the cost of living in many ways greater than in the UK and not in fact cheaper, as is comonly considered. From other posts it would seem fair to say that people, especially perhaps immigrants, work exceptionally hard, perhaps harder and longer than they did previously.

But, you all love it and wouldn't go back, so what is it that makes this the case?

chrizzy100
08-10-2003, 02:54

Thanks for all the replies.

Okay, from what I am gathering is that the cost of living in many ways greater than in the UK and not in fact cheaper, as is comonly considered. From other posts it would seem fair to say that people, especially perhaps immigrants, work exceptionally hard, perhaps harder and longer than they did previously.

But, you all love it and wouldn't go back, so what is it that makes this the case?

Madness....[:o)][:o)]
I've wanted to live in the USA since I was a kid.....I love the people....the country is beauiful....when the living is good in the USA its very good......this is home now.....:D

asbaum
09-10-2003, 10:56
I was born and raised in the US. And I'll tell you this, that most who were born here take this country for granted. They want everything they see on TV and for free. They don't want to work yet expect to be made president of the company tomorrow. They forgot their European, Asian or "immigrant" roots!! I find that the "immigrants" (and I mean this kindly, for lack of a better word) to this country seem to make it. Whether you're a poor immigrant, middle class immigrant or upper class immigrant - you seem to do better over the course of a couple years than those at your same level who were born here. This is my perception.

The USA, I believe, is the best country on earth!!! Opportunities abound for anyone willing to go after their dreams and stop complaining. If you can't make it in this wonderful land of opportunity - then where are you going to make it? There are 52 states covering 9,809,155 sq km with different economic and social offerings for the taking. Do you like hot weather or cold? Do you like mountains, valleys or the wide open plains of the midwest? Do you like high tech, tourism or farming? It is all here and it's riches are also here for those who want them bad enough. Education and dedication are the key, and the doors are waiting to be opened by such a key.

Euan, come here and make it happen for yourself. Just like all these people who have bought homes here and running their businesses. Sure it takes hard work and in these economic times much harder work. But they are living their dreams. And you can too.

You have one big advantage. You weren't born here so you'll see things more clearer than we who were. We are spoiled by everything this great country has given us - and you aren't (at least not yet). And I'll bet you come with that "European Work Ethic" that has been the backbone of what made this country so great over the past few hundred years.

I personally know young men from Mexico that work in an aluminum recycling plant. Aluminum comes in and they sort it and place it into bailers to be sent off to smelters. It is hard and very dirty work and pays very low wages - well that is how I see it (remember I was born here). When I ask them about their experience - the tell me with a huge grin on their face - that they can't believe they are getting "paid" to do this work. They could never make this much money back in Mexico for "this easy work" here, they tell me. They would be lucky to get farming work for peanuts as pay. I couldn't live on what they make (or so I think and say) yet they live on half of what they make (raise their families here and send their kids to public schools and then on to college) and send the other half of their money to family in Mexico - who live a much better life now that these family members have the "easy" jobs here in the US. It is all relative to what you know, what you think, where you've been and where you are going and more importantly what you dream!

See http://www.bls.gov/ - U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics for some mind boggling statistics on what the US has. The GDP of the US is expected to exceed $8.6 trillion (yes, trillion) by 2006. Your piece of the pie is waiting. Come get some.

Arnie

MTP
15-10-2003, 00:59
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Next question linked to this is: once we were over there and fully qualified and working full time, going by the national statistics, the average combined income that we would earn would be $130,000. We have no way to judge what lifestyle this sort of income would give, could I impose on you kind people to give opinions on that kind of income level.

Thanks,

Euan

chrizzy100
15-10-2003, 01:56

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Next question linked to this is: once we were over there and fully qualified and working full time, going by the national statistics, the average combined income that we would earn would be $130,000. We have no way to judge what lifestyle this sort of income would give, could I impose on you kind people to give opinions on that kind of income level.

Thanks,

Euan

Most people earn nowhere like that kind of money....on Cape the Average income with 2 people working is $30k to $40k....

And people here pay some of the highest rents in the country.....around $1500 a month....

In FL we could half the amount we need to bring into the house then we need now....my friend was told she would be earning $80 a hour nursing over here...so far she makes $10...I'd not count on national statistics...in FL I'd say if you bring in over $50k you should be OK...

asbaum
15-10-2003, 09:04
Euan,

Making $130K per year, you'll have a great life. If you are a good saver and don't go into debt, you'll qualify to buy a very nice home. You'll own two cars. You'll send your kids to private school. They'll grow up and by that time you'll be making even more to send them to a good college. Then you and your wife will buy a Vacation STR Villa in the Orlando area and you'll find yourself answering other people's posts asking if they should come to America.

Prove every naysayer wrong. Come to America and make it big!!!!

jimbo
31-12-2003, 05:37
quote:Originally posted by asbaum

I was born and raised in the US. And I'll tell you this, that most who were born here take this country for granted. They want everything they see on TV and for free. They don't want to work yet expect to be made president of the company tomorrow. They forgot their European, Asian or "immigrant" roots!! I find that the "immigrants" (and I mean this kindly, for lack of a better word) to this country seem to make it. Whether you're a poor immigrant, middle class immigrant or upper class immigrant - you seem to do better over the course of a couple years than those at your same level who were born here. This is my perception.

The USA, I believe, is the best country on earth!!! Opportunities abound for anyone willing to go after their dreams and stop complaining. If you can't make it in this wonderful land of opportunity - then where are you going to make it? There are 52 states covering 9,809,155 sq km with different economic and social offerings for the taking. Do you like hot weather or cold? Do you like mountains, valleys or the wide open plains of the midwest? Do you like high tech, tourism or farming? It is all here and it's riches are also here for those who want them bad enough. Education and dedication are the key, and the doors are waiting to be opened by such a key.

Euan, come here and make it happen for yourself. Just like all these people who have bought homes here and running their businesses. Sure it takes hard work and in these economic times much harder work. But they are living their dreams. And you can too.

You have one big advantage. You weren't born here so you'll see things more clearer than we who were. We are spoiled by everything this great country has given us - and you aren't (at least not yet). And I'll bet you come with that "European Work Ethic" that has been the backbone of what made this country so great over the past few hundred years.

I personally know young men from Mexico that work in an aluminum recycling plant. Aluminum comes in and they sort it and place it into bailers to be sent off to smelters. It is hard and very dirty work and pays very low wages - well that is how I see it (remember I was born here). When I ask them about their experience - the tell me with a huge grin on their face - that they can't believe they are getting "paid" to do this work. They could never make this much money back in Mexico for "this easy work" here, they tell me. They would be lucky to get farming work for peanuts as pay. I couldn't live on what they make (or so I think and say) yet they live on half of what they make (raise their families here and send their kids to public schools and then on to college) and send the other half of their money to family in Mexico - who live a much better life now that these family members have the "easy" jobs here in the US. It is all relative to what you know, what you think, where you've been and where you are going and more importantly what you dream!

See http://www.bls.gov/ - U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics for some mind boggling statistics on what the US has. The GDP of the US is expected to exceed $8.6 trillion (yes, trillion) by 2006. Your piece of the pie is waiting. Come get some.

Arnie

Bless ya Arnie,
I have always wanted to live in the States and about to have my dream come true and the age of 44. Hard work and determination in a land of humungus opportunity. Man I can't wait.
bless ya mate

Jim:D

Amirah
31-12-2003, 19:50
If you work for a state like me then your healthcare is free and the best (but we do pay separately for Dental). But to get a state job here is tough or any job here is tough. Living in New Jersey is tough as well and we have been thinking about moving to Pennsylvania where it is a little cheaper. LOL We pay for utilities, mortgage, two car payments (which is our fault because we like new cars), very high car insurance because car theft is very high in our state, private school bills, school uniforms, supplies, food, other expenses, house insurance, TAXES! I find that in southern states (excluding Florida) is cheaper to live but the pay is not so good. I guess it all balances out. We make 100% more here and we also pay 100% more here.

It's a catch twenty two. Work hard and make the best of it. Never be discouraged. I think moving to the USA from France was the best decision Anderson and I have ever made. Nobody said it would be easy or it will get easy.

I also think it's unfair to say that immigrants work harder than US natives. I'm an immigrant from Egypt living in the USA and I think that we all work together to make the United States what it is.

james
28-01-2004, 14:09
hello.just whant to find what its going to take to go to the U.S

caseyd
28-01-2004, 16:20
Euan, I second Asbaum's comments on $130K per year combined income. That will go far in central Florida. It wouldn't go as far where I live (Northern VA, just outside of Washington D.C.), but then we have some of the highest cost of living in the states here (and also some of the best quality of living re school quality, county services like parks and recreation, libraries, etc.). If we moved to Florida (or just about any other part of the south U.S.) we could do alot better than where we are. That is part of the reason why so many Americans retire to Florida, quality of life and their money goes far. My husband's parents have a place on Cape Cod and a place on Atlantic coast of Florida. they live between them at different points of the year, "wintering" in Florida as so many "snowbirds" (older Americans who flee the cold northern weather of the U.S. and spend the winter in Florida) do. They both worked in the public school system (not making a boatload of money, certainly not anywhere near 130K combined, but they did get themselves pensions which is pretty unheard of these days here. They were just extremely frugal during the first several decades they were married.
I would imagine that if you go somewhere in Orlando (or somewhere else in Florida?) besides the Disney area in Orlando you could get alot more house for the money to live in...

blott
28-01-2004, 16:29
Hi James

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you're asking but if it's about immigration from Nigeria to the USA, then your best plan is to check one of the US Embassy websites.

If you check out this one http://travel.state.gov/index.html you may be able to find out what regulations apply for you.