PDA

View Full Version : Daughters friend

dcnurse
09-09-2007, 16:28
We are looking at taking our dauughters friend with us on next years trip to the villa she will be 14 at the time of travelling.
Has anyone done this in the past and what documentation will we require in order to get her through immigration?

blott
09-09-2007, 16:43
You'll find all the info you need here. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_10554.asp

dcnurse
09-09-2007, 21:54
Thanks Blott[msnwink]

ravtino
10-09-2007, 00:37
I took my neice who was 13 and I took the letter from parents, but no one asked, we just filled another customs form in in her name.

ncmurray
10-09-2007, 01:10
Ditto Ravtino's post, and we did this twice. We have never been questioned in any way about our neices, even though they both have different surnames to ours. To be careful, we took copies of both their parent's passports, and letters signed by both mother and father, and carried copies of their travel insurance documents, along with contact details for their parents.

Be very careful that she has her own travel insurance, though.

Nuala

Pookie
10-09-2007, 02:10
Two years ago we took a friend of our sons with us to florida. They were both 16 at the time.
The FEMALE immigration officer wanted a letter confirming Chris was allowed to come with us.
I thought uh oh what on earth do we do now, I said, err we do not have one, I then looked a bit blank & felt at this point the less said the better.
Her comment "so typical of the British just send their children off".
I nearly exploded but knew I could not, I was so so so very angry as was my husband, he was waiting with baited breath for my reaction & no doubt praying I would let it pass.

With hindsight it would have been sensible to have a letter, (wise after the event) but I will never forget her attitude or forgive her unjust comment.
My advice take a letter with you & anything else you can think of in the unlikely event you get an immigration person from the same mould.

Lynne

FraserLynn
19-12-2007, 23:52
Hi all,

We are taking my nephew with us on our February trip, I think I need to take the following:

His passport
Letter from his parents (notarised) saying it is ok for us to take him out of the country
His own insurance created by his parents
A letter from his parents (again notarised) saying it is ok for us to authorise any emergency healthcare

A couple of questions I have, is this everything? and do we need to fill in a separate customs form for him, he is 14 and has the same name as us, or does he count as part of our family group?

I hadn't thought about any of this until I read this thread, all advice greatly received

Thanks

ravtino
20-12-2007, 00:04
I took my neice and just the letter from parents and insurance, never got them notarised and no one asked or mentioned it at customs.

caroline
20-12-2007, 10:53
I would strongly urge you to get the letter notarised, as if the child needs any medical treatment the doctors will not treat them without parental consent this applies up to the age of 18 - FraserLynn, you can combine the letter giving you permission to take the child into the US with the permission to authorise any medical or dental treatment so that you only pay one notary fee.

ShirleyD
21-12-2007, 03:32
When I was travelling in California with a 17 year old American girl who needed medical care, they rang her parents to check it was OK to treat her. I would certainly travel with a letter from the parents, but also insure I have a phone contact incase they want to speak to them

FraserLynn
21-12-2007, 05:29
Great thanks,

I am seeing my Brother this weekend and so will make sure we get him to complete and notarize a letter for us.

Does anyone know whether we need to do a separate customs form for him as he has the same name?

ShirleyD
21-12-2007, 13:55
I would just do the one.

FraserLynn
21-12-2007, 22:03
Thanks Shirley