PDA

View Full Version : The Falling Man .

orlandodaze
08-09-2007, 17:43
I watched this programme last night and realised how quickly we all forget and return to our normal lives. What struck me as rather strange that people refered to the "Jumpers" as people who committed suicide . I cannot believe that God would blame people who jumped from burning and smoked filled buildings ,surely when you are in a situation such as that you are beyond rational thought . A need for air and getting away from the fire would be all you could think of . The programmme made me remember that relatives and friends of the 9/11 victims are still suffering and feeling pain five years on , may God console and strengthen all of them.

E. Cosgrove
08-09-2007, 18:47
I remember watching that programme on one of the previous anniversaries of 911.

His family were so adamnant that it could not be him. This was just someone trying to escape because he did not want to die!
It was terribly sad.

Once again my thoughts turn to all the families affected by the atrocoities of that day.

KarenScott
08-09-2007, 20:19
I started to watch this programme but had to turn it off. I found it very harrowing. Just what would make someone jump? The thought of death from smoke, fire, heat or jump and a certain death awaits. We will never know just what exact terror those people faced. Just horrible.

Frosty
08-09-2007, 20:54
They showed flight 93 on tv out here the other night.

We both sat there and looked at each other when they took over the cockpit, and said to each other, "my heart is beating like a drum". It just had so many emotions running through your body when you saw them take over the cockpit like that.

Lets hope that never happens again.

ShirleyD
09-09-2007, 01:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Marthas Harbour
I started to watch this programme but had to turn it off. I found it very harrowing. Just what would make someone jump? The thought of death from smoke, fire, heat or jump and a certain death awaits. We will never know just what exact terror those people faced. Just horrible.
[/quote]
We will never know, but when there is no chance, then I suppose you go for the option that has a chance, however slim it maybe. I don't see it as suicide, more likely escape

Kazzie
09-09-2007, 02:09
It doesnt even bare thinking about, how horrific it must have been for everyone involved[msncry]

Karen

Nina A
10-09-2007, 13:42
Didn't see the programme and wouldn't want too. How dreadful for the families to hear their loved ones last desperate attempts to escape referred to as suicide. Not sure what these types of programmes achieve apart from earning money for the makers!

Cruella DeVilla
10-09-2007, 14:13
Didn't see it.

Was it just the programme referring to the desperation to escape as suicide or was this an official line?

sheenallan
10-09-2007, 14:15
I Have watched all the programms ref 9/11 and feel just as upset as i did on the day this awul tragedy happend,remembering all those who died and all the fallen hero's may god bless them all

Sheena.

Genie
10-09-2007, 14:41
I remember well watching, unbelieving, the events of that awful day and tears rolling down as I watched, it still upsets me now to see it and will be thinking about all those poor families that lost loved ones that terrible day.

emm
10-09-2007, 15:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Didn't see it.

Was it just the programme referring to the desperation to escape as suicide or was this an official line?
[/quote]

I think some people in the programme were saying it was suicide because the people had chosen to jump. One family refused to believe that the falling man might have been their father committing suicide because they were very religious and that would mean he wouldn't go to heaven.

I don't believe suicide was the official line - the official line after the initial TV coverage on the 11th and then the newspaper reports on the 12th was not to show the footage/photos of the falling people ever again, and to concentrate on the heroism and bravery of everyone involved.

MarkJan
10-09-2007, 20:42
On a positive note, we watched "the man who foresaw 911". A brit who fought in Vietnam for the 7th Cavalry, had one of the lowest loss rates of any unit, was the security officer for Morgan Stanley and managed to get 99% of their staff out due to forward planning and repeated training. He was one of the unfortunate people to die but the programme brought tears to our eyes as it showed how much difference one person can make.

KarenScott
11-09-2007, 01:30
I had turned off before the programme mentioned suicide. Just to harrowing.

I think the reason for the programme was to try to identify one particular photo of a man who had jumped, but again I switched off well before the end, so don't know if they managed their objective.