PDA

View Full Version : Car hire - Dollar.com price differences

Kickstart
04-10-2003, 19:36
I've noticed that the price quoted for a car booked via dollar.com is about £100 cheaper than one booked through dollar.co.uk.

I presume this difference is due to the insurance cover. I emailed Dollar but couldn't get a sensible quotation for the likely insurance cost. This is what they said:

'All insurances and waivers are available at the counter and are
optional. The loss damage waiver (which is not an insurance, but
protects against damage or loss of the Dollar vehicle only) is $19.99
per day and available at the location.'

I asked again for a breakdown on the probable cost and they said:

' Unfortunately that is all of the information we
have available to us. All the insurance information and rates are done at
the counter only. We do not have that information available to us here at
the Reservation Center. '

So does anyone have any idea of the likely cost of a resonable level of insurance cover, does it depend on age, experience etc?

If so then how can the UK quote an inclusive figure, OR, are you being quoted for the same level of cover from both sites but just paying more for booking via the UK site?

blott
04-10-2003, 19:49
Most car rental sold in the UK includes insurance, taxes, etc, etc which can add up, if paid locally in Florida, to $hundreds! Believe me, I've been there and done that!

US car rental websites don't quote inclusive usually as most Americans have their own insurance cover and just pay taxes, airport fees, etc.

If you try the car rental through this site at http:/www.uscarhire.co.uk I think you'll find its all inclusive cover is cheaper than you can obtain through Dollar direct, depending on what vehicle you're looking for.

chrizzy100
04-10-2003, 20:09
quote:Originally posted by blott

Most car rental sold in the UK includes insurance, taxes, etc, etc which can add up, if paid locally in Florida, to $hundreds! Believe me, I've been there and done that!

US car rental websites don't quote inclusive usually as most Americans have their own insurance cover and just pay taxes, airport fees, etc.

If you try the car rental through this site at http:/www.uscarhire.co.uk I think you'll find its all inclusive cover is cheaper than you can obtain through Dollar direct, depending on what vehicle you're looking for.

We sometimes use our own insurance....if we hire a car local...but in FL we always get full cover from the hire company.....

phaedra
05-10-2003, 03:00
Hi :)

Cheapest place at the moment is Airline Network

http://www.airline-network.co.uk/Homepage/Homepage.asp

For a 7 seater minivan with the full gold package it's £374 for 14 days, £66 cheaper than US Carhire :D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-10-2003, 03:09
Thanks for letting us know that Jeff ;). That's actually the only car type they beat us on price (or at least it was last time I looked) and we cannot figure out how they are doing it other than some kind of loss leader.

I do recall that their car hire does not have the same options included as ours so you have to add a bit onto their figures to compare like for like with ours. I'm in Florida at the moment so do not have time to look into it further and all this is from memory.

chrisj
05-10-2003, 04:38
Wow thats cheap Jeff, but ive already booked mine, its £220 a week all in for a 7 Seater and
that was a good price.

huckleberry house
05-10-2003, 11:15
Hi John and Sarah

I have just checked the prices for the link to airline network and all the cars are dearer than the link on this site except for the minivan which came out at £1 cheaper at £415,no sign of the £374 so maybe that was a special offer for certain dates?
I have used the carhire from this site twice and both times I was so impressed with the service also there was no attempt to make me upgrade or add any unnecessary extras as the all inclusive really did include everything so I for one will not be switching for the princely sum of £1:D

Lesley

roger
05-10-2003, 12:08
Their weekly rate for a 7 seater is £207 (£1 less than ours), but ours includes 2 drivers for that price.

All our other vehicles are cheaper.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-10-2003, 17:22
Thanks Lesley - we knew there had to be a catch with their 7 seater price as there is no way you can get those kind of rates wholesale (indeed you would not be able to get anywhere near their special offer 7 seater rate) even if you go direct to Dollar.

We pride ourselves on being the most competitive car hire provider for Orlando and Florida and so were very surprised someone could undercut us by such a huge margin!

quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house

Hi John and Sarah

I have just checked the prices for the link to airline network and all the cars are dearer than the link on this site except for the minivan which came out at £1 cheaper at £415,no sign of the £374 so maybe that was a special offer for certain dates?
I have used the carhire from this site twice and both times I was so impressed with the service also there was no attempt to make me upgrade or add any unnecessary extras as the all inclusive really did include everything so I for one will not be switching for the princely sum of £1:D

Lesley

chrisj
05-10-2003, 20:06
This site does seem to have the cheapest hire, they dont cut back on the insurance which a lot
of others do. I got a price match with our car hire, bit cheeky I know but im sure John will forgive me
just this once.

Actually a friend of mine has used this site for tickets cos I told him about it, so that must mean
im in the clear now

phaedra
05-10-2003, 20:33
Hi :)

Just checked again and if your 1st day of hire starts on or before November 30th it's £374 but goes up if your rental starts December 1st or later :)

Andy & Arlene
05-10-2003, 22:17
Also Dollar offers villa owners 25% discount, which will give you more savings

caroline
05-10-2003, 22:49
When I checked with Dollar for the 25% owners saving, the car hire from here was still cheaper (by about £40) over the 16 nights - needless to say I booked mine through here!!

roger
05-10-2003, 23:25
That's right - it's 25% off their full rate which is still not necessarily that cheap.

Gillian-B
07-10-2003, 02:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
When I checked with Dollar for the 25% owners saving, the car hire from here was still cheaper (by about £40) over the 16 nights - needless to say I booked mine through here!![/quote]Me too :D.

chrisj
07-10-2003, 03:14
Well like i said i got mine price matched with this site, so got a great deal and thanks
have to go to this site, I did mention this site and they said they would match the price
which is cool, they were charging £750 but dropped to £660 so im happy

woldm1
08-10-2003, 16:53
I use a company in th UK called Charter Travel. They will match most prices and usually use Dollar. A recent price comparrison Airline Network for a 4x4 fully inclusive with tank of petrol and extra driver £516.00 Charter Travel £440.00. Their telephone number is Tel: 01635 869667 speak to Jennie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel

woldm1
08-10-2003, 16:55
Sorry, I forgot to include that the car hire was 14 days and not 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel

chrisj
08-10-2003, 18:10
Think you might find this site and Charter are approx the same