PDA

View Full Version : Driving in orlando.

hempfiltered
31-08-2007, 00:56
going to orlando in two weeks and so excited. my boyfriend is very nervous and hesitant about driving though as we have rented a car, is it as scary as it seems?!

burtonl
31-08-2007, 01:30
Hi Faye,

The driving won't be a problem at all I'm sure. I drive there all the time and find it much easier than in the UK. The roads are that much bigger and all the cars are automatic. Tell him to take it easy at first and get accustomed to the controls etc; before leaving the airport then it will be a breeze.

Have a great time!

E. Cosgrove
31-08-2007, 01:33
There is nothing to be worried about!

Make sure your boyfriend familiarizes himself with the controls before you leave the garage.
Check out your route so that you know where you are going, stick to the speed limit and you will be fine.

The roads are wide and so are the parking spaces so manoevreing is easy.

My son is 25 and he drove over there for the first time this year, there was just him and his wife, no one to help him out and he was fine[msnsmile]

Have fun:D

AshleyLodge
31-08-2007, 01:41
Driving is fine. It is probably wise to stick to the quieter roads until you are familiar with the car and driving on the right. We always recommend using the 417 as the route from Sanford. Just remember to have some small notes or change for the tolls.

Have a great time

Lynne

mfairhurst
31-08-2007, 01:53
Driving in FLORIDA is a better thanin UK they do not seem to be rude and we have not had a problem as long as you keep your speed in check as they have on the spot fines .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683

ShirleyD
31-08-2007, 03:30
I hate driving in the UK, but had no choice on my last Orlando trip as my husband had to work at the last minute. I had a wonderful time though, the roads are so wide, it really wasn't scarey at all....even though I was having sleepless nights in advance :D As Lynne said the 417 toll road is a great route to the Disney area and avoids much of the busier I4, which is better for your first day.

bargainqueen
31-08-2007, 05:26
Trying to think back to what I found confusing when I first started driving in the states.

The road signs East/West or North/South took a while to get used to until I realised that that were that way because of the way the roads were on the map of Florida if that makes sense.

To navigate the roads you need to have a rough idea of where places are on the map. Rather like travelling on the tube when you are given the end of the line station on the platform next train approaching sign.

There are a couple of places where first time travellors could go wrong so if you explain further which airport you will be arriving at and where you are heading for further advice can be given.

Most roads have indication lines to guide tourists when turning left, I used to follow the car in front to make sure I stayed on the right.

Don't forget that you can turn right at a red signal if the road is clear unless there is a sign telling you not too.

Lastly on some automatics you can't turn the ignition on unless you have your foot on the brake pedal and you can't take the key out unless the car is in nuetral/park

MarkJan
31-08-2007, 11:17
Driving is generally easier in Florida, the roads are wider, the car parking spaces are wider and a lot are at angles set to drive straight into them.

When I first started driving abroad the thing I needed to remember was when turning left, make sure you are on the right hand side of the road you have turned onto. Most largish junctions have arrows or filter lanes to make this easy.

Paula D-S
31-08-2007, 12:52
My husband finds driving in Florida so much easier than in the UK.
Maybe consider hiring the sat nav http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx at least it will take out the worry of which way to go, especially if this is your first visit.

hempfiltered
31-08-2007, 13:14
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Would you recommend hiring sat nav as opposed to road map?
We are arriving at Orlando International airport and staying at :- 3000 Bonfire Beach Drive Kissimmee, Florida 34746, if anyone could suggest a good route for 1st time driver that would be brilliant.

Faye
[msnsmile]

ShirleyD
31-08-2007, 15:23
I also think sat nav would be a great help to you, though you can look at google maps for good directions. You should leave the airport by the south access road taking the 417 towards tampa. Leave this at junction 6 535/536

Albert the Frog
31-08-2007, 15:56
I agree with all the other comments-Driving in this part of the States is a pleasure and far easier than the M6 on a Friday afternoon!! Aye Caramba!
Anyway the only points that I would make relate to odd things like your handbrake being controlled with your foot-and how to release it-took me days to figure!
Also-the exits come up on you very quickly-my tip is don't rush and most of all if you miss your turn off (you will) don't panic about it.
Remember that you can turn right at most junctions on a red, using them as give way rather than stop-the peson behind will remind you though!

bargainqueen
31-08-2007, 23:16
After you pick up your car from parking area follow way out direction and once on road you will see boxes up high showing the different roads out of airport.
As Shirley says the one you want is the south exit road 417 florida greeneway. Get into that lane and as the sign says you are exiting the airport from the south and you may even see an areoplane going over one of the bridges you pass under. Travel down this road for a couple of miles and look for a sign for Disneyworld next exit this will take down a slip road onto the Florida Greeneway this is a toll road and you will need some low denomination $ to use so make sure you have change as they don't like to change large notes. I think you will exit at or after the second toll 535/536 and should be paying $1 at each toll.
After you exit the 417 you will be on 536 and at the second set of lights you will need to turn left onto the 535, there are two slip lanes for cars turning left. This is a large junction and you can't miss it as on the right hand corner you will see a large hotel the name escapes me at the moment and on the left you will pass a Ponderosa restaurant a little way back from the traffic lights.
Follow the 535 down until you reach a T-junction and that is the Irlo Bronson Hway or more commonly known at 192. This road is divided up into Mile Markers, I stay in Bass Road which is by a Walmart and is near to MM15. I would turn left onto the 192 as the T-junction is around MM12.
I've not heard of the road where you are staying so am unable to help further. The villas I stay in are all in the 34746 zip code but it does cover a large area.

Frosty
31-08-2007, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hempfiltered
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Would you recommend hiring sat nav as opposed to road map?
We are arriving at Orlando International airport and staying at :- 3000 Bonfire Beach Drive Kissimmee, Florida 34746, if anyone could suggest a good route for 1st time driver that would be brilliant.

Faye
[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Try this link to google maps:-

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=MCO+-+Orlando+Intl+Airport,+Uninc+Orange+County,+FL&daddr=3000+Bonfire+Beach+Dr,+Kissimmee,+FL+34746&sll=28.339004,-81.484072&sspn=0.007517,0.014462&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Oh and picking up from a comment from another post, not all handbrakes are foot operated as stated. There ia a mixture of both out there.
For instance the very commonly used PT cruiser has a normal handbrake.
The Pacifica has a foot operated "handbrake", which you apply by pushing down with your foot and then release by pulling a lever.

On the subject of handbrakes, most people don't use one anyway as the car applies its own brake when put into "P" park. When you are on a hill you don't need it as the car will keep creeping forward if you release the foot brake.

gaslett
01-09-2007, 23:30
I have just returned from Orlando and would agree that a sat-nav is great & got me to & from places without relying on a map (and someone to read it). Watch the toll roads as some exits are "sun-pass" only! Driving is much easier than in say spain due to the wide roads, but be aware that they over AND undertake you! I found the attached link useful as it explains the road markings & regulations http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/driver/en
Enjoy its a great place and very friendly - you really won't have any problems.

MarkJan
02-09-2007, 12:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
Anyway the only points that I would make relate to odd things like your handbrake being controlled with your foot-and how to release it-took me days to figure![/quote]Florida is pretty flat, I don't bother with the handbrake, just leave it in park.

bargainqueen
02-09-2007, 13:25
Gaslet have just read some of the booklet you quoted makes interesting reading.

A couple of other points that might come in useful for all drivers especially someone like myself who has an old style license without a photo. You must carry some form of photo id, if stopped by police they want proof that it is your license. Also do not remove your seatbelt when you have been stopped, wait until they ask you to get out of the car and then remove it otherwise you will get fined.

Redeye
05-09-2007, 16:17
I concur with the above and would like to add that the road names/numbers on high level gantries across crossroads confused me at first until I was told - repeatedly - that they refer to roads running right to left and are NOT an indication that you drive straight on.

I like roundabouts and miss them, as U-turns are dodgy at times and I've never seen so many traffic lights! Still, on balance it's easier and much less crowded than here.

bargainqueen
05-09-2007, 16:38
I also got confused with these signs when I first drove down International drive to the Belz Mall at the end. I kept turning when I reached the main junction as I thought the sign overhead meant that the road ahead was Oakridge Blvd and as the sign to the right said International Drive I thought I had to turn right. I was going around in circles for sometime before I realised where I was going wrong.

I think the u-turns are ok most have slip roads so that you can get in lane and as long as the road is wide enough you can turn if not I go inside the shopping area and turn there.

Most cars over there also have automatic locking doors when you reach 15 mph you'll hear a click, you can open the doors from the inside but when you are stationery at lights the doors can not be opened by anyone outside the car.

I'm a regular travellor to Spain and some new cars have this installed but most don't so I have to find the lock button before I leave in the hire car. Distraction theft is very high there at the moment as it used to be years ago in Florida.

Redeye
05-09-2007, 19:19
Another good thing about Florida is that drivers let you in from slip roads, slowing down if necessary, and nobody seems to mind being cut up if you have to cross three lanes to make the next left!

Rhosyn
05-09-2007, 21:16
Don't worry, my daughter is 21 and over there at the moment driving her boyfriend, sister and her friend around. First time for her take it easy plan where you are going everything is well signposted. Have fun.

Nikki D
06-09-2007, 03:21
Hi I drive over in Florida with just myself and my daughter. I would go with the 417 too even though you have the tolls there is much less traffic. I also get the sat nav when we go even though I have been lots of times it just takes the stress out of driving somewhere your not familiar with.