PDA

View Full Version : Ice Display at Gaylord Palms

wrightbuxton
28-08-2007, 16:47
Hi

we are going to be in Florida between Xmas and New Year this year. Have seen some of the threads on here regarding the ice sculpture display at Gaylord Palms.

Is it worth a visit and would people recommend to have a go at the ice skating too?

I was thinking of a visit on maybe New Years Day....do they have a New Years Day brunch at all?

Thanks
Julie

AshleyLodge
28-08-2007, 17:21
We thought ICE was brilliant and are really pleased we went to see it. As well as the ice skating there are shows on the stage near Villa de Flora.

Be sure to wear proper shoes and socks - they provide thick anoraks. I was really pleased I had some gloves with me too although you can just put your hands in the pockets.

We haven't been out at New Year but I'm sure someone else will tell you about brunch.

Have a great time

Lynne

ShirleyD
28-08-2007, 17:23
Definately worth a visit, there wasn't skating when we went. Gaylord Palms has several restuarants, but would recommend you book well ahead for special dates

pieman790
28-08-2007, 17:28
We walked past the Ice skating when we went to the Gaylord Palms for Thanks Giving Brunch and it does look good . We decided to give it a miss due to the risk of getting injured. There is a open air ice rink which visits our city every year and the last time it came Cathy fell badly and had a bad back/neck for ages. She had to undergo some expensive treatment/MRI scans.

CERICROWLEY
28-08-2007, 19:57
We did both ICE and the skating last year.

We have done ICE twice now, and really enjoy it. The ice skating wasn't overly busy, and the kids had fun, the skates were a little different to the UK hire boots as they didn't have the grab edge of the front of the skates that help you start off. but soon got the hang of it.

jolliffee
28-08-2007, 20:38
We've done it too, and it is well worth the visit, you can exit and re-enter the ice show if you get too cold; make sure you have a camera.
A Tip: If you book a meal at Villa de Flora you'll get the car parking ticket stamped, and if I remember free hot drinks.

You'll find the open area inside Gaylord Palms will be dressed for Christmas so allow an extra hour to walk arround take pictures and just enjoy!

Nina A
28-08-2007, 22:17
The hotel is absolutely stunning at that time of year and ICE is spectacular. It also 'snows' at Celebration several times a night during the Christmas period :)

KarenScott
28-08-2007, 23:59
we went to ICE last Chistmas and absolutely loved it:D It was amazing. There was even some guys there doing some ice sculpting so you could see how they produce these fantastic ice sculptures, not sure if they are always there.
We had a fantastic meal at the Villa de Flora and there were entertainers going around the tables, magician and singers etc. We were there Christmas Day.
Yes there were shows on too and you get a hot chocolate if you can manage it after your meal.
We booked the skating too but too be honest it was busy and I'm not confident so I didn't go on. I thought it would have been bigger and outside however it was in a tent and didn't live up to my expectaions but ICE definitely did.:D
You'll have a fantastic time.

Cruella DeVilla
29-08-2007, 03:02
We went last year for the first time with some frinds but would not go again as once you have seen it but I really enjoyed it. The ice rink is outside the hotel. We finished off our trip with a meal at VDF. ts a nice festive thing to do just before Christamas.

We were too full for our hotel chocolate btw!

MTP
29-08-2007, 04:24
Having just taken our two oldest ice-skating for the first time (9 & 6) I think that we would be definitely to try to include this as a recreational activity in the future - but I sure wasn't graceful!!!

ravtino
30-08-2007, 02:07
We did the ice and loved it, did not have the skating when we did it, not that I would have done this due to injury!!

Mrs Brizzle
30-08-2007, 17:34
Hi, we did ICE! as part of our Christmas day treats last year, see som piccies here http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_35390.asp
We really enjoyed it but it was really cold and couldn't last more than 20 mins especially as I wore open toe shoes doh! We followed it with a meal at villa de flora which was superb and the girls had a photo with mother christmas. We also booked the skating but it was very busy and crowded with nowhere to sit, the girls couldn't stay upright and the ice was full of people whizzing about and it was all a bit overwhelming so I wouldn't reccomend that bit. The hotel is an experience in itself though and there were lots of activities going on the whole time we were there. You will have a great time if you go.
Heidi

dsv77
29-09-2007, 14:17
Hi Folks ,

Notice that most of you mention the Gaylord Palms , can any ne tell me a bit about it ? is it a hotel ? or a centre . does it contain a restuarant ect . I think I have seen it from the highway but not sure ,so directions would be great .
Thanks
Angela

AshleyLodge
29-09-2007, 15:07
Gaylord Palms is a convention centre and a hotel but it the part that makes it worth a visit is the central atrium. There are three restaurants in there all in appropriate settings. The fish restaurant is a boat on a lake in Key West. The Hickory Steak House in the Everglades complete with alligators and Villa de Flora the Buffet restaurant is near St Augustine.

If you take exit 65 from the I4 it is signposted. Otherwise just go along the Osceola Prkway heading for the I4 and you will see it.

It is worth having a meal there and then you don't have to pay for car parking.

It really is worth a visit particularly if you can combine it with ICE.

Lynne

ravtino
29-09-2007, 20:43
We spent a good while looking round the hotel when we were there at Christmas and bumped into SANTA walking along a corridor, lovely man:D:D He asked Adam what he wanted for Christmas,had a chat and then went on his way after wishing us a Merry christmas[msnsmile2]

dsv77
29-09-2007, 23:12
Thanks for the info , but is ice a show ? or just a skating rink and is it open all year or just a xmas?

Kazzie
30-09-2007, 00:03
Angela, ICE is a display of ice sculptures, if you google Ice at Gaylord Palms Orlando you will find lots of info. Here is a little snippet of what is said:

<span style="color:red">Who says the holidays in Florida are all about palm trees and sunshine? Prepare for the coolest winter on record as Gaylord Palms™ Resort presents ICE!; An instant dose of winter, this spectacle is hand-carved from nearly two million pounds of ice!</span id="red">

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dsv77
Thanks for the info , but is ice a show ? or just a skating rink and is it open all year or just a xmas?
[/quote]

dsv77
30-09-2007, 16:38
Thanks folks , found the info and have booked tickets for ice in Dec .
Angela

KarenScott
01-10-2007, 02:43
Heidi
We were there at the same time, wonder if our paths crossed?:D

wrightbuxton
22-11-2007, 23:32
Booked our tickets for ICE today and the children are going to do the skating too. We are going on New Years Day....can't wait[msnsmile2]

Julie

Mrs Brizzle
23-11-2007, 16:20
Hi Karen,
I only just spotted your reply to me [msnsmile]
We may have walked past each other and would never have known.
I believe you don't live a million miles away from me either [:I]
Heidi

Mrs Brizzle
20-12-2007, 14:59
I found some cool webcams of Ice on the web last night, DM me if you would like the link as I can't post it or it will be removed :D
Heidi