PDA

View Full Version : like for like !!

ali5
27-08-2007, 02:30
Hi everyone

Sorry for my ignorance but can some kind sole help me with a query.

Hubbie, two children and I will be travelling to Disney next summer and want to book our car hire through this excellent site. I have promised (much to my dismay) that I will help with the driving (having never driven abroad) and my query is:

I currently drive a Vauxhall Zafira and am hoping I can hire a similar vehicle over there. My thoughts are that if the car is similar then thats one less worry !! :). I know I'll be ok once I get going, with a practice run around the estate we are staying on>

Thanks everyone

ali

mfairhurst
27-08-2007, 02:45
Do not drive from the airport for the first time but as you say practice on quiet roads and you will enjoy it .
They are all power steering and aircon ,electric windows also new cars so you should be ok .
Keep to the speed limit and you will be alright good luck .
Enjoy your holiday .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

JOHNNY BOY
27-08-2007, 03:29
Not sure which car would be similar to a Zafira but bear in mind the amount of luggage you will be taking and be sure to select an adequate size car, you can get information on capacity of the various models from the car hire website :
http://www.floridahire.com/CarTypes.aspx

Driving in the US is relatively easy, in the main the cars are bigger, but so are the roads, and the parking spaces are certainly much bigger than in the UK.

Whichever car you choose I'm sure you will enjoy and have a great first experience of driving abroad.

JR

ncmurray
27-08-2007, 09:12
Hi Ali,

Don't worry too much about driving in the US, it is much easier than driving in the UK. As already said, the roads and parking spaces are so much bigger. If you drive a Zafira in the UK, then you will be easily able to manage a 7 seater here. All hire cars are automatic, so you don't even have that to worry about! A satnav would be really convenient if you are a nervous driver.

Bottom line is that there is really no problem driving in the US, and you really have nothing to worry about. You could just spend 5 minutes driving around the garage before you go out on the road to familiarise yourself with the controls, and then just go for it!

Hope you have a brilliant holiday!

Genie
27-08-2007, 11:14
I drive a Suzuki Vitara here in the UK and hadn't driven in the US since 1989 so was a bit nervous as I had to drive myself about this year but it was great and I enjoyed it, much easier than here in the UK no where near as stressful.

E. Cosgrove
27-08-2007, 12:41
Ali, it took me 13 years to get behind the wheel in the US and now you can't stop me!!!

Just make sure you familiarize yourself with all the controls before you drive. I often find myself wondering where the windscreen wipers are as a big black cloud approaches[msneek]
and of course if the car does not have daytime lights that means I need the lights on as well [msnoo]

This is because in my eagerness to get away from the airport I just get in and drive.
:D:D

I drive an automatic at home and that really helps although once you are used to them an automatic car is a doddle[msnsmile2]

It's great fun driving in Florida, much more pleasurable than at home so just enjoy and take care [msnsmile2]

27-08-2007, 18:00
I first drove in the US when I was just 25 and I have been driving ever since (not going to say how long LOL!!) Its so so easy, if you do a little research and familiarize yourself in the car park before leaving the airport you will be fine, just take it slow for the first drive as you leave the airport[msnsmile2]

ali5
27-08-2007, 18:32
Cheers everyone for your really positive comments :)

Can I take it then that a 7 seater is a people carrier (a bit like a Zafira)?

Ali

MTP
27-08-2007, 19:42
Hi Ali,

Would agree with everyone else's comments. The 7-seater will probably be slightly bigger than a Zafira, it is a people carrier, but not enormous like a Grande Espace. It would probably give you the most familiar driving position (being slightly higher up than standard cars) so that would be a plus and parking is a cinch as the spaces tend to be more roomy. So I would definitely also recommend this one for you (plus it will give you loads of luggage room for the trip back to the airport[msnwink])

27-08-2007, 20:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ali5
Cheers everyone for your really positive comments :)

Can I take it then that a 7 seater is a people carrier (a bit like a Zafira)?

Ali
[/quote]

No most of the 7 seaters mini vans are like the Chrysler Voyager and the controls are the same so if you know anyone with one it would be good to have a go first - if you lived near me you could have had a go in mine[msnwink][msnwink]

ali5
28-08-2007, 12:38
Thanks everyone - you never know Julie if i'm passing your corner of the country I might well take you up on your kind offer ;)

I feel a bit more positive now about driving in Orlando and nearer the time a good friend is letting me take her automatic out a few times.