PDA

View Full Version : Dry August this year?

19-08-2007, 19:14
We have been coming to Florida in August since out first visit in 1983 and we have always been well aware that its the wet season and the afternoon storms that go with coming at this time of year[msnsmile2] They are normally short, spectacular and have not caused us any problems as they cool the air nicely[msnwink]

Our wettest trip from memory was August 2004, we were out for 3+ weeks and it seemed to rain a lot and of course we had Hurricane Charley.

This year has been one of the most dry trips we have ever had in August[msnsmile2] we have had virtually no rain or afternoon storms apart from one really quick one last week[msnsmile2]

It has been very hot and the heat index has made it feel well into the 100's even though the actual temps have been in the 90's[msnsmile2] but with all the air con and the pool it's been great[clap]

In contrast we have been watching our home web cam and the August weather at home has been awful so I that know where I would rather be[msnwink]

CERICROWLEY
19-08-2007, 19:22
Julie

I have noticed this year has been warmer although not the humidity like we had last year. Very much a dry heat like you would get in the Med. Bottles of water have been gussled by the dozen.

NO WAY YOU WILL GET ANY COMPLAINTS FROM ME:D Love it[msncool]

SDJ
19-08-2007, 19:33
The last 2 years have been exceptionally dry and we have noticed it from the colour and quality of our lawns. The weather seems to be changing throughout the world. Stay where you are Julie, you certainly wouldn't want to be in the UK!!!!

Sandra

dawn
19-08-2007, 19:34
It is very warm and dry isn't it - we did have quite a few downpours my first week at the end of July, but it has been pretty much dry since - gorgeous![msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
19-08-2007, 19:45
Its been colder up here in MA than normal...but I noticed the weather was nice and not humid in FL last month...

Not that good really...FL needs the rain....

19-08-2007, 19:48
I am definitely NOT compaining[msnsmile2]

I am loving it and don't want to go home on Thursday[msnsad]

mfairhurst
19-08-2007, 20:05
Hope you have enjoyed your holiday this time JULIE and your knee as got a little easier and not giving to much pain .
Our lawn will need a little water I guess if no rain .
Your photos were great have you no more ?.
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

MarkJan
19-08-2007, 22:00
I will quite happily swap wet Manchester for a dry Orlando. Have a good time everyone who is out there and make the most of it.

wrpac00
20-08-2007, 00:51
Its about the same as this time last year only difference is that there was not a lot of rain earlier in the year, some of the lakes are very low.

canarypam
20-08-2007, 01:11
If I remember correctly there was more rain than usual last September. We have been out in September for quite a few years and it has usually been beautiful weather (apart from 2004 when we were out for hurricane Jeanne and even then it was really only a couple of days) So maybe the rain has started coming a bit later - hope not because we are out in 3 weeks!!!

MICKEYSDEN
20-08-2007, 01:12
We have only been home a week and are feeling so depressed, it was raining before we went to our villa and it is still raining now. At least we haven't had a hose pipe ban[msnwink] Wish we were still there in the Florida sun.[msncool]

Nina A
20-08-2007, 03:29
Enjoy the sun while you can Julie. It's rained again for most of the weekend here in Cornwall. Can't wait until our trip to Florida next month :D

Tracey
20-08-2007, 04:25
Not complaining about the lack of rain either.:D
Although it means my other half is watering his newly planted palms [8D]

20-08-2007, 07:38
I am certainly not complaining either I absolutely love it[msnsmile2]

21-08-2007, 02:30
Its another hot dry day here in Florida[msnsmile2]

On the pool deck in the shade its reading 97-98 degrees[msneek]

Better than home though [msnwink]

Milly
23-08-2007, 01:13
Hi

All I can say is Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I am flying out to Florida tomorrow. It has rained all day in Felixstowe and the docks have shut because of the high winds.

I am so excited, I don't think I will go to bed.

Dianne

23-08-2007, 01:24
Dianne there is still no rain and its 97 in the shade on the pool deck today[msnwink]

wrpac00
25-08-2007, 00:48
Its rained this afternon, the first rain in 21 days.

chrizzy100
25-08-2007, 01:08
I wish we would have some real rain on the Cape...my grass looks very sick...

25-08-2007, 02:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Its rained this afternon, the first rain in 21 days.
[/quote]

It waited until I got home[msnwink]

walden64
25-08-2007, 06:15
Infact it hasn't stopped raining yet.

It started while we were at the mall early this afternoon while we were getting YD her Prom dress and hasn't stopped - looks like we have had 3 weeks of rain in one afternoon.

Hoping it is sunny again in the morning as we are off to Typhoon Lagoon

wrpac00
25-08-2007, 08:00
One heck of a storm (we went to OPO) finished raining about 9pm.

christhear
25-08-2007, 19:06
We had a table booked at the Rose and Crown so we could watch the fireworks. Rain got really bad around 6:00 at Disney storm right overhead - got stck in Mexico for 45 minutes. Then the puddle to get back round the lake was over a foot deep.
Rain did subside a bit for the foreworks and had a good view. I think we would have gone home if we hadn't had the meal booked. We did test track early in the morning as i guess it was down all afternoon.

taylona
25-08-2007, 19:07
We were in Magic Kingdom when the rain came down. It got a bit lighter and we hopped to MGM but didn't make it out of the car. The gardens got a good watering!

I see the weather is sunny and warm in England - hope those of you back in the UK have a great, dry bank holiday weekend.

mfairhurst
25-08-2007, 21:20
We have not had sun here in the NORTH it is not cold but blue skies would be good for a change .
Hope tomorrow is better could do with a tan before winter and not out of a bottle [msnsmile2]
Our lawn in FLORIDA need the rain so we are pleased about that [sporty]
DENISE had you not got your yellow packer macs as they all wear in disney .
MAUREEN

christhear
25-08-2007, 22:44
DENISE had you not got your yellow packer macs as they all wear in disney .
MAUREEN
[/quote]

Maureen if you had seen the rain yesterday the macs were no good - anyway they don't protect against lightning and i don't blame Denise for not getting out of the car - We only stayed as we had reservations at Epcot. Mind you we have been here for a fortnight and it was the first daytime storm so can't complain.
It does seem a lot fresher today.

mfairhurst
25-08-2007, 23:43
Sorry CHRISTINE did not mean get out into the storm when it was lighting but after when it had past by ,I know it passes by and thenstill can be raining but the yellow machs keep you dry we have some and useful as always in shorts .
MAUREEN

walden64
26-08-2007, 00:56
Well we have had a wonderful sunny day today. Weather fantastic again [msnsmile2]- just got back from Typhoon Lagoon and everyone has had a great day.

Couple of hours round the villa now and then off to Magic Kingdon for Spectromagic and then the fireworks.

Michelle

Stuart Bairstow
26-08-2007, 01:59
It is great today - really sunny and the rain yesterday certainly perked up my plants if nothing else. [^] Hope it continues as we have just decided to go golfing tonight (thats part of the deal so I can finally try out Red Lobster for dinner afterwards).

CERICROWLEY
26-08-2007, 02:01
We maywell have had a bit of a downpour yesterday, and it was early in the evening, so it didn't really spoil the day for most.

It has been another gorgeous start to the day, and is still looking strong, at 5.00pm today.

I know where I would rather be even if it was raining FLORIDA[8D]UK[msncry]

wrpac00
26-08-2007, 02:04
We got stuck in Polo Ralph Lauren for 25 mins, the storm was right overhead and the I4 came to a complete standstill.

caroline
26-08-2007, 02:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
We got stuck in Polo Ralph Lauren for 25 mins, the storm was right overhead and the I4 came to a complete standstill.
[/quote]

What a hardship[msnwink]

Lynne S
26-08-2007, 02:16
I agree Caroline, I think I'll try that excuse sometime Paul if you don't mind[msnwink]

E. Cosgrove
26-08-2007, 02:30
I think I'll try that excuse next time I get "stuck" in Liz Claiborne shoes[msnwink]